Esteemed Contributor

@akaburtonfan 

Yes, I used this method when I had my curly shag.

Somewhere along the way, it stopped working.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pqfan 

Now THAT is hysterical!  And, exactly right!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks all.

Just returned from a few errands and the picture that

@Pqfan  posted is my hair.  

Just not pink Cat LOL

As mentioned, did the "curly girl" method many years back.  Had a great stylist that understood curly hair.  It was wash and wear. 

I've been to numerous stylists over the years.  None of them was ever as good.  Had many a bad haircut.

Thanks for the recs to cover "bald spots."  Not sure that's going to work for me, but it's a thought.

I'm going to try to get through the summer and see how I feel about it.  It's been 6 months since I had it smoothed, so some curls have returned.  It's just with the humidity, the curls are always one step away from exploding into frizz.

Thankfully, if this is the worst problem I have in the future, I'm doing great despite the frizz.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman, you posted My stylist did add layers so it would start to form curls as the smoothing grew out. 

This might be part of the problem. Layering curly hair demands a good technique to avoid getting the dreaded "steps" look. Plus, curly hair tends to create its own layers.

Once I let my short, "stepped" hair grow out, my stylist only occasionally trims some layers in the back to reduce bulk. She uses only scissors and does it lightly from underneath. It helps with the formation of spirally curls.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman   One factor you might try changing is your Water.  You can buy a nice stainless steel Shower Head Filter to eliminate Chlorine and other minerals from depleting your natural barrier.   I've improved both my hair and skin with my Shower Filter (Yes, I have curly/wavy hair and I'm no longer in my 50's ).  Also, per "The Curly Girl", make sure to trim you hair when it's DRY (I trim mine at home, easily every 3 months, it's quite long).

Respected Contributor

I'm one of those curly girls as well.   I'm 65 and have a great stylist who understands how to cut curly hair.  As for frizz, I love the Tweak-d restore cleanser.  I follow the directions and no frizz day after day.  I wash my hair every 3rd or 4th day.  I just wet it down in the AM on the days I don't need to cleanse.  I don't add any other products.  They also have a conditioning treatment that is very similar with the original Ojon treatment. Hope that gives you another option.  This line also gives you great shine.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman If I don't put a fat nickle size of Wen in the top half of my hair and another in the bottom half of my hair, I'd be slightly frizzy.  I do, however, use regular shampoo and conditioner (Aveda).

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   Here are a few suggestions.  Buy a product for your scalp that colors the scalp like your hair so you don't see bald spots OR buy yourself a cute short wig until it grows out to your liking.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

I have curly, frizzy hair and pretty much have given up during summer months. I am also retirement age.  Recently I tried a product from Pureology Curl Complete that is a Styling Fusion gel. Wow, my curls actually look smooth and nice. I had been flat ironing my hair to death, and now am just air drying with that product. I am one happy lady!

Esteemed Contributor

@laraffinee 

I've used Pureology products in the past, but that line is new to me.

I see that the Pureology site has the shampoo, conditioner and Care Infusion as a threesome.  Is that the product you use -- it's in a tube.  It's $93 for the set, but they have 25% off right now.  I might give it a try.

Curl Control Product Set