Esteemed Contributor

For the last few years, I've had my shoulder length hair smoothed twice a year, and loved the results.  I also have it colored.  It's fine, but healthy and pretty easy care.

However, I recently saw an older photo of me with my glorious curls, and thought I'd try to stop smoothing.

Sadly, I'm already discouraged.  My stylist did add layers so it would start to form curls as the smoothing grew out. 

Ugh....all I have is frizzy chunks that reveal "bald spots" if I'm not careful.  I have to spend 15 minutes arranging my hair so you cannot seem my scalp! Cat LOL

Here's the reality.  My beautiful curls were when I was in my 30s -- I'm 68 now.  My hair and curls have changed and feel like an unmanageble mess.  Especially since summer in Southern Maryland is humid most days.

And, yes, I've tried many, many anti-frizz products in my years.  None worked.  Not one.  I deep condition and use great products, but nothing....NOTHING keeps the frizz at bay.

I'm not sure I can make it through the summer with hair that resembles cotton candy.

Thanks for letting me vent Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

My hair is also completely different at 73 than it was when I was even in my 50's - from thick, thick, thick and easy to manage with waves and curls, to thinner, greying of course, no curls to mention, and yes, I too have to arrange it to cover bald or thinning spots, exactly as you described.  And I have to fight frizz and dryness.

Products help, styling tools help, it's trial and error, but mostly I am happy and at peace with my current hair and style, which is a short bob that can wave or not, have piecey style or smooth, all depends on the weather that day, how it turns out after shampoo and styling.  

It's always a surprise, but as long as it is shiny and has some body I am ok with it.  It will never be what it was and I am not going to torture it to achieve an improbable dream style.

I'm happy with the color nature has given me, almost a shiny pewter with very light silver hightlights.  I get compliments all the time.  The less I fuss with it, the nicer it looks it seems.  

Good luck, and don't give up; it takes awhile for curl to return and for you to discover the best cut, styling products, routine.

Esteemed Contributor

Your problem is very common.  Look into getting some colored powder you can apply to your scalp.  Toppix, I believe, is a good brand, but there are others.  I know it will make you feel better, and no one will know.  

Trusted Contributor

You should research the curly girl method if you haven't yet. The idea is to get your hair as healthy as possible by using products without sulfates, silicones, drying alcohols and waxes. There are a ton of videos on YouTube and if you're on Facebook I would recommend joining the curly girl method support group. 

The method takes some time and work to figure out what your specific hair needs are. Some of the before and after pictures are amazing. 

I started 8 months ago and am still learning. I still have days where my hair looks bad and gets put into a ponytail but other days my whirls (I have a mix of waves and curls) look really good. Part of my problem is that I need a haircut --I haven't had one in almost a year. 

Honored Contributor

Have you looked into trying the Curly Girl Method?  I have seen some amazing transformations with that.  I follow it somewhat, more product-wise than technique-wise even though I perm since even permed hair exhibits some of the same issues as naturally curly hair.  However, it will take quite awhile for the chemical straightening to grow out.  

A small online-only company called Raw Hair Organics has an anti-frizz spray that is based on broccoli seed oil vs the silicone based anti-frizz products that are everywhere. I discovered Broccoli seed oil several years ago as a good natural replacement for silicones, but straight out of the bottle it, well, smells like broccoli, which I hate.  So, I started mixing it with other oils to use as a finishing product on my hair. But, now that I use this product I don't feel the need to use my concoction as much, especially in summer.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Discouraged by my curls

[ Edited ]

image.jpeghttps://i.pinimg.com/736x/ef/ce/c4/efcec48acba0e38bc5857fe066ecf7dc--laundry-humor-the-laundry.jpgThis is what my hair has become. Cotton ball head. 😔dryer lint.

Respected Contributor

My hair has totally changed in my old age, going from totally straight to a nasty ugly curl.  Not enough curl to wear curly but enough to give me a fight to style it into a straight bob.  My hair is very thick and healthy looking but a nightmare for me to handle.  I've never heard of a curly girl method but will look into it after this thread.

Honored Contributor

I would find a salon or a stylist that specializes in curls and cuts with either the Deva Cut or Quidad method

This is the first step, others are wash it and then apply product, scrunch and let dry

The less you fuss with it the better

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Discouraged by my curls

[ Edited ]

Why don’t you go back to having your hair smoothed either until it grows out or just continue with the cut and maybe you’ll like it with the smoothing. 

Honored Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

Why don’t you go back to having your hair smoothed either until it grows out of just continue with the cut and maybe you’ll like it with the smoothing. 

@K9buddy, the smoothing she is getting is a chemical process.  So, if she wants to go with her natural curls, she will have to stop smoothing and let that grow out until it gets cut off or cut off whatever is left of the smoothing which is currently probably most of her hair.