Honored Contributor

Re: Discontinued beauty products --- so disgusted

@islandgrrl wrote:

This doesn't happen to me very often.  Because I enjoy trying different products, I skip around a lot.  But when something I LOVE is discontinued, it is devastating. Most recently Bobbi Brown discontinued the 'Beach' scented body oil and body wash -- two aspects my summer time ritual.  I was so sad. These products represented so much more than getting clean and moisturized. They were my summer.  So, @AngelPuppy1 , I totally feel your pain.

@islandgrrl 

Sorry about your BB scent.  It's very disapponting when you find something you really enjoly! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@dal23 wrote:

It's certainly frustrating. At the same time, I'm finding that, as I age, the same products I loved when I was younger just don't work for my anymore.  But it certainly is frustrating having to put so much time and energy into finding new options. 

What was the cleanser?  Perhaps we can help suggest an alternative. 

@dal23 

Neutrogina - Extra Gentle Cleanser - Fragrance Free.  I liked it because, while it did not really remove makeup -- I use the Micellar water for that and makeup wipes --- it is wonderfully gentle, creamy, soothing cleanser that doesn't srip or dry out your skin!  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

That's why I always have a few spares to use in case something gets discontinued.  It gives me time to find a new product.

Sometimes I think that everything I ever used was eventually discontinued.  Most recently an Avon foundation.  Fortunately - I have three unopened bottles!

@ALRATIBA 

When I was cleaning out my bathroom closet a few months ago, I had so many expired bottles - duplicates -- of things which I never used and this was a huge waste of money! So, I vowed to never do this again.  This cleanser, however, caught me by surprise.  I didn't realize I would like it so much! 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I would not be that upset over a body wash.  I hate when they discontinue lipstick shades or a foundation you are fond ot and a blush shade you love -- these are things you can see on your face.  A body wash as much as you can love can be easily replaced with another lovely one.  IMO

@Katcat1 

The product I am lamenting is a facial cleanser.  It's hard to get something nice when you have very sensitive skin and everything upsets it.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for all of your posts!  I appreciate everybody commiserating.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@islandgrrl  I knew they were purchased by EL.  Sad.....  they destroy most everything they buy.  The fragrance changed a little too.  Remember the bottle change?  Well right around that time, the fragrance became just a little less beachy.  Still love and use but it's not the same.  I think some of that has to do with Federal Regulations about certain products that are now banned from all fragrances, and possibly some from the EL changes.

Respected Contributor

Angelpuppy1: I'd just call Neutrogena & ask what product to substiture. The Ultra Gentle Cleanser is probably close. They have a hydrating & a daily cleanser.

Just make a call.

Trusted Contributor

@insomniac2 I'm glad to hear your positive experience with eBay. The first time I tried to order a beauy product there, it arrived in an unlabelled and unsealed jar. I didn't trust it and never tried it again--it seems very easy for a seller to cheat and not be discovered.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just deal with it as iceberg suggests. You are making this a mountain out of a mole hill. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

AngelPuppy1 - Have you ever tried Cetaphil cleanser?  That is very, very gentle. You might like it. I think others like the CeraVe cleansers. I have never tried them, though. 

My daughter uses an Aveeno facial cleanser. It seems pretty gentle - maybe one of those will work for you. 

I don't think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.  It's hard to find a great cleanser! 

Oh, also, as it relates to Ebay - I haven't had an issue there either, but I would be really careful these days. I've noticed with Amazon and Ebay a proliferation of sellers pawning cheap/fake Chinese black market imitation products - especially in the beauty industry.  When I buy on Amazon these days, I'm super careful about the seller - usually only buy direct from Amazon. Ebay, I've only bought discontinued Mary Kay products - and I look for someone who seems to be a legitimate seller - like a former rep.