Frequent Contributor

Re: Disappointment with natural/organic moisturizers

Thank you for all your replies. I am learning a lot!

Interesting about the dermatologist saying that natural isn't necessarily better. I am beginning to think that for me, knowing that the "unnatural" Estee Lauder feels good and works well, I don't need to feel bad about NOT continuing on my quest for a natural moisturizer.

Respected Contributor

Josie's argan oil broke me out. So did Dr Jonathan's cranberry oil. There is no product that works for everyone.

Honored Contributor

I am way more concerned about results than whether something is natural or not, especially since that term doesn't really mean much.

As someone with severe allergies and asthma, natural and organic things make me miserable all the time. Natural and organic are, to me, highly overrated.

Honored Contributor

Natural really doesn't mean a whole lot. Companies know the word sells to some people, so they use it. There's not much regulation though.

There was a thread the other day talking about the phrases tv shopping channels use to draw people in. Every kind of company, every kind of venue going has those phrases. Natural is one that food companies and beauty companies love. Too bad it's so misleading.

Respected Contributor

On 1/21/2015 millieshops said:

Natural really doesn't mean a whole lot. Companies know the word sells to some people, so they use it. There's not much regulation though.

There was a thread the other day talking about the phrases tv shopping channels use to draw people in. Every kind of company, every kind of venue going has those phrases. Natural is one that food companies and beauty companies love. Too bad it's so misleading.

Exactly! And this is exactly why I am spending so much time learning even more about ingredients, down to molecular levels, and crafting my own.

OP, some things to look for the slip are cetyl alcohol and cetearyl alcohol (high in the deck), and cyclomethicone (end of the deck). There are plenty of others but those are the most commonly used.

Super Contributor

Barbara,

I have extremely dry roseaca skin and I have tried everything "natural" and "unatural" for years. I recently read a thread on here about Marula oil and ordered some. I think it is one of a very few oils I haven't tried. I mix a little with my CeraVe cream in the tub and I have to say, my face has never felt better and when I apply it at night, my face still feels soft and moisturized when I wake up. I can use the oil alone or mixed and my face is loving it. You might try that?

Respected Contributor

If you're looking for a good natural moisturizer, you could try Acure Day Cream. They also make a night cream. I've been using it and it sinks right in. It's not greasy and doesn't sit on top of your skin.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Contributor

Suzanne Somer's Bio-Active Moisturizer, cleanser and toner.

Respected Contributor

Natural doesn't mean anything. Organic products are free of all man made ingredients- chemicals, colors, etc.

Respected Contributor

On 1/21/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: If you're looking for a good natural moisturizer, you could try Acure Day Cream. They also make a night cream. I've been using it and it sinks right in. It's not greasy and doesn't sit on top of your skin.
But, would you consider Cetyl and cetearyl alcohols and potassium sorbate "natural"? I'm not saying it isn't a good product because the ingredients look great. But, the three I mentioned are in it.