Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I guess I'm confused.

There is a difference between gel nails and gel polish.  Gel polish is just that.  A polish that goes over your natural nails.  Gel nails are artificial nails that are done using gel, just like acrylic nails are artificial nails.

I have acrylic nails and then I have gel polish put on top of my acrylics. I'm not getting if the dipping is just another type of polish or is it another type of artificial nail?

No, the powder is not an artificial nail. It is applied on top of your natural nail. It's a long lasting nail color that provides more strength and durability than regular nail polish.

Trusted Contributor

@SurferWife  thanks for that detailed report. I have watched some you tube videos, however, I always take what the you tubers say with a big grain of salt in that some of them are "rewarded" for endorsements and do not disclose. The last time I was in the salon, the gal that does my nails tried to talk me into them, however, I wanted to get some real feedback first. Thanks to all who have responded and I will certainly get back if I take the "plunge" into dipping. Good grief, did I really say that? ,

Respected Contributor
I had gel acrylics done, and also tried the dip powder once. My manicurist talked me into trying the dip, because its alot less work, and supposedly easier on the nails. For me, the dip didn't hold up 2 weeks, and I didnt like that it gets removed each manicure and done all over. It doesn't just get filled...at least that's what my manicurist told me. Also more money.
I stopped going, and just do my own manicures at home. Honestly, my nails grew out too fast, and was always running back to get them done again...I also like them rather short, so, before 2 weeks, they were getting more longer than I liked.
The gel acrylic is the one I'd go with if I decide to do it again...not dip.
Honored Contributor

I'm always surprisd when people say they can get 3 weeks out of a manicure, gel or otherwise.  I only get a gel manicure once or twice a year, but by the end of 2 weeks and a couple of days, the growth from my natural nails takes away from the beauty of the manicure.  Maybe my nails just grow fast.