Trusted Contributor

I searched the forums for past information on the comparative review and found older threads and did not want to bump them up. So, I am posting a more current question and requesting feedback. I currently use gel nails. I need to have something strong on my nails as I damaged my one nail years ago washing windows (go figure) I have since delegated that job to my DH. Anyway, if I do not use something strong, my nail splits down the bed and  gels fix that. What I want to know is does anyone have current experience with the dipping process? Not at home but in a salon? Can it be sanitary with everyone dipping into a powder? Does it look as nice? I keep my nails short so there is no issue with length. On one of the older threads there was a poster that talked about Doug Schoon being an expert, however, all his videos appear to be very old. Thoughts?

Respected Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

I searched the forums for past information on the comparative review and found older threads and did not want to bump them up. So, I am posting a more current question and requesting feedback. I currently use gel nails. I need to have something strong on my nails as I damaged my one nail years ago washing windows (go figure) I have since delegated that job to my DH. Anyway, if I do not use something strong, my nail splits down the bed and  gels fix that. What I want to know is does anyone have current experience with the dipping process? Not at home but in a salon? Can it be sanitary with everyone dipping into a powder? Does it look as nice? I keep my nails short so there is no issue with length. On one of the older threads there was a poster that talked about Doug Schoon being an expert, however, all his videos appear to be very old. Thoughts?

I have had no experience with this but my daughter just had it done. She ususally does Shellac. She said this is lasting better on her than Shellac whch would lift. I have read that the dipping removal is very damaging. Maybe someone else will be able to offer their opinion.

Honored Contributor

I have been using the dip powder for over a year and I love it, I have artificial nails and my manicure lasts 3 + weeks.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@DeanieThe nail shops where you aren't hit with a strong odor are the safest.  Usually salons that also do nails are a safe alternative.  I had mine done by the owner of a tanning salon, although I didn't tan.  She had a salon on the other side.  All of these ladies soak/spray everything with an anti tuberculosis spray.

When I taught I had both types of nails. In my Foods classes, I couldn't have a broken raw nail, of course.  I found my powder nails broke much less and weren't as painful as a gel nail breaking.  I have grown them out now.

Respected Contributor

I've been getting the SNS dip manicure for almost three years. It is much less damaging than gel manicures. No UV light needed. 

The removal process is just acetone polish remover on foil wrapped nails.  Same as gel. Little to no sanding required.

I don't have any worries about hygiene . No different than having the salon apply a gel or any other kind of liquid . It's a dry powder.

The manicure lasts a long time. It stays shiny. No chipping. 

I am very happy with it.

Trusted Contributor

I've used dip and gel and the dip lasted much longer on me. Gels would always lift after a few days. They both destroyed my natural nail when I have them taken off though.  I love the look but I just don't want the upkeep with a trip to the salon every couple of weeks!

Respected Contributor

Anyone:  Is the dipping powder just a color (like nail poish), or does it offer more support/strength?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I guess I'm confused.

There is a difference between gel nails and gel polish.  Gel polish is just that.  A polish that goes over your natural nails.  Gel nails are artificial nails that are done using gel, just like acrylic nails are artificial nails.

I have acrylic nails and then I have gel polish put on top of my acrylics. I'm not getting if the dipping is just another type of polish or is it another type of artificial nail?

Trusted Contributor

I should have stated that I have gel polish, not, gel nails. I was getting only one gel nail on the thumb that took a turn with the nail then gel polish over top of that.

Honored Contributor

@Deanie...I have worn artificial nails for 25+ years, the last 10 being gel nails (salon, not at-home).  I recently discovered dip powder myself & here is my analysis.

Dip powder nails are indeed stronger than gel nails; in fact, comparable to  the strength of acrylic nails.  With gel nails I always feel the need to wear gloves when I wash dishes, but with dip powder nails , I can do anything & not feel like I need to protect them, plus they EASILY last 4-5 weeks.

I live in Hawai‘i and nail dip powder has not caught on like it has back home.  There are literally maybe 3 or 4 salons on O‘ahu that do them, but because it's not as prominent as gel nails, most salons have limited color choices & for that reason I have gone back to gel nails.  If I had the choice, I would definitely choose dip powder over gel nails, but until it becomes more prominent here & (quite frankly) better talent comes along, I'll stick with gel nails.  The removal process is easy so if you decide to try dip powder, then go back to gel nails, you can easily.

Report back & let us know what you think should you decide to try the dip powder. 

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.