Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,973
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

I was considering trying Differin as I ran out of my PTR Retinol since it is actual Retin-A vs Retinol.  I know it's not the same strength as prescription Retin-A.  I was in the drugstore today and checked the skin care aisle and didn't see any there.  Do you still have to get it from the pharmacy even though it's OTC kinda like pseudoephedrine meds?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,015
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Differin can be purchased right off the shelf where the acne meds are located. Just to clarify, Differin and Retin-A are two different kinds of retinoids and they work differently on the skin's retinoid receptors. It's a technicality but worth mentioning because Differin isn't FDA approved to treat wrinkles and is a product made primarily for acne.

 

eta - The main difference between Differin and Retin-A is that Differin acts on only two out of the three retinoid receptors found in the skin. Retin-A will act on all three receptors where the third receptor is the deepest one found in the skin which Differin can't reach. This is why Differin is not a proven treatment for wrinkles because it can't do the same thing as Retin-A on a molecular level. 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 573
Registered: ‎06-27-2017

@Icegoddess wrote:

I was considering trying Differin as I ran out of my PTR Retinol since it is actual Retin-A vs Retinol.  I know it's not the same strength as prescription Retin-A.  I was in the drugstore today and checked the skin care aisle and didn't see any there.  Do you still have to get it from the pharmacy even though it's OTC kinda like pseudoephedrine meds?


 

I found it on the shelf at the local CVS and online at Amazon. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,144
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

@Icegoddess wrote:

I was considering trying Differin as I ran out of my PTR Retinol since it is actual Retin-A vs Retinol.  I know it's not the same strength as prescription Retin-A.  I was in the drugstore today and checked the skin care aisle and didn't see any there.  Do you still have to get it from the pharmacy even though it's OTC kinda like pseudoephedrine meds?


@Icegoddess I think PTR product is a “Retinol” and not a Retin-A. Here are the ingedients list: A248495: Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM Serum Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Squalane, Water/Aqua/Eau, Retinol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Bisabolol, Lecithin, Potassium Phosphate, Pentylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Alcohol. I would not use this on my face as it contains Alcohol.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,973
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

@Naturesbeauty wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I was considering trying Differin as I ran out of my PTR Retinol since it is actual Retin-A vs Retinol.  I know it's not the same strength as prescription Retin-A.  I was in the drugstore today and checked the skin care aisle and didn't see any there.  Do you still have to get it from the pharmacy even though it's OTC kinda like pseudoephedrine meds?


@IcegoddessI think PTR product is a “Retinol” and not a Retin-A. Here are the ingedients list: A248495: Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM Serum Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Squalane, Water/Aqua/Eau, Retinol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Bisabolol, Lecithin, Potassium Phosphate, Pentylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Alcohol. I would not use this on my face as it contains Alcohol.

@Naturesbeauty, yes I know that.  I was considering upgrading to see if I might get better results.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,973
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

@SilleeMee wrote:

Differin can be purchased right off the shelf where the acne meds are located. Just to clarify, Differin and Retin-A are two different kinds of retinoids and they work differently on the skin's retinoid receptors. It's a technicality but worth mentioning because Differin isn't FDA approved to treat wrinkles and is a product made primarily for acne.

 

eta - The main difference between Differin and Retin-A is that Differin acts on only two out of the three retinoid receptors found in the skin. Retin-A will act on all three receptors where the third receptor is the deepest one found in the skin which Differin can't reach. This is why Differin is not a proven treatment for wrinkles because it can't do the same thing as Retin-A on a molecular level. 


@SilleeMee, from what I am reading, it still could be an upgrade from a retinol.  I see there is also a retinaldehyde which only takes one step to get to retinoic acid vs 2 steps for retinol.  

 

So, if I wanted to go the tretinoin route, could I get it from AllDayChemist without a prescription like I understand you can Careprost (Latisse)?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,015
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Yes, absolutely you can buy tretinoin from ADC w/o a Rx. Just be aware that ADC will only accept echecks as payment. If you are not familiar with that kind of payment, I can assure you that it is completely safe, in fact more safe than using a cc.Woman Happy If you need help with placing your order with ADC then I would be more than happy to help you. @Icegoddess

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,880
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I've bought Differin at CVS pharmacies in Las Vegas and they are generally in the acne section of the skin care aisles. Differin comes in two different size tubes so you may want to get the smaller one first to try it out.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,015
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

@TY wrote:

I've bought Differin at CVS pharmacies in Las Vegas and they are generally in the acne section of the skin care aisles. Differin comes in two different size tubes so you may want to get the smaller one first to try it out.


 

 

And right now CVS has free shipping + 30% off everything! Good time to try it out.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,144
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Naturesbeauty wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I was considering trying Differin as I ran out of my PTR Retinol since it is actual Retin-A vs Retinol.  I know it's not the same strength as prescription Retin-A.  I was in the drugstore today and checked the skin care aisle and didn't see any there.  Do you still have to get it from the pharmacy even though it's OTC kinda like pseudoephedrine meds?


@IcegoddessI think PTR product is a “Retinol” and not a Retin-A. Here are the ingedients list: A248495: Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM Serum Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Squalane, Water/Aqua/Eau, Retinol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Bisabolol, Lecithin, Potassium Phosphate, Pentylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Alcohol. I would not use this on my face as it contains Alcohol.

@Naturesbeauty, yes I know that.  I was considering upgrading to see if I might get better results.


@Icegoddess..... I’m sorry I misunderstood your post. I thought you were stating that PTR product was Retin-A. 🙋🏻❤️