Respected Contributor

Re: Differin now avaiable without prescription

It worked well on my teenage son's acne.  When I started getting menopausal breakouts, Serious Skin Care's Dry-Lo worked the best for me.

Contributor

The OTC version is only a 0.1 strength while the Differin we know and is an Rx is 0.3. They are different.

Valued Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I've never heard of Differin being used for anti-aging, no. I know it is a Vitamin A derivative too but is a different kind of derivative (adapalene) as Retin-A (tretinoin) not sure it is the same regarding anti-aging efficacy as tretinoin is.

---------

It was a top rated retinoid on Beautypedia (once I discovered Beautypedia, I checked out all my products, LOL) but now I can't find it. It is milder than Retin-A so maybe not known as much for anti- aging? 

This isn't a comment regarding Differin, but I've been so frustrated with Beautypedia.com since they supposedly became "independent" of Paulaschoice.com.  I will still consult Beautypedia when I have questions about beauty products, but there are so many reviews missing now that used to be on the site.  I wonder why they took so many reviews down?  Also, many of the reviews are old and they have notes saying they would be posting updated reviews but those updated reviews never seem to come.  I love Paula's Choice, but it has definitely changed since the company was bought out by a private equity company.  

Trusted Contributor

@J819 wrote:

The OTC version is only a 0.1 strength while the Differin we know and is an Rx is 0.3. They are different.

Hi @J819,

The 0.1% was always a prescription strength, too. I used it at that strength, and needed a prescription for it when I needed to use it. Smiley Happy

This is the strength that will now be available to people over-the-counter.

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I've never heard of Differin being used for anti-aging, no. I know it is a Vitamin A derivative too but is a different kind of derivative (adapalene) as Retin-A (tretinoin) not sure it is the same regarding anti-aging efficacy as tretinoin is.

---------

It was a top rated retinoid on Beautypedia (once I discovered Beautypedia, I checked out all my products, LOL) but now I can't find it. It is milder than Retin-A so maybe not known as much for anti- aging? 

Nothing legitimate I've read so far indicates it is recommended specificlly  for anti-aging benefits like Retin-A is. I think it is more designed for acne treatment specifically and not for anti-aging. Differin has been out for a long time now so I think if they've figured out it is good for anti-aging too it would be noted as such. It may provide some benefits but probably not enough to really warrant marketing it as an anti-ager like trentinoin cream is.

Hi @HappyDaze,

Here is a link to an article from New Beauty magazine regarding Differin and anti-aging:

https://www.newbeauty.com/blog/dailybeauty/6249-differin-can-help-reduce-wrinkles-too/

My understanding from reading the article is that since Differin is a retinoid, it provides the same benefits to the skin as other retinoids.

It's more mild, too.

From my own personal experience, I even had a doctor tell me the same thing-that he was going to prescribe it for me due to its mildness, aside from helping my adult acne, too. 

Honored Contributor

@Toppers wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

---------

Nothing legitimate I've read so far indicates it is recommended specificlly  for anti-aging benefits like Retin-A is. I think it is more designed for acne treatment specifically and not for anti-aging. Differin has been out for a long time now so I think if they've figured out it is good for anti-aging too it would be noted as such. It may provide some benefits but probably not enough to really warrant marketing it as an anti-ager like trentinoin cream is.

Hi @HappyDaze,

Here is a link to an article from New Beauty magazine regarding Differin and anti-aging:

https://www.newbeauty.com/blog/dailybeauty/6249-differin-can-help-reduce-wrinkles-too/

My understanding from reading the article is that since Differin is a retinoid, it provides the same benefits to the skin as other retinoids.

It's more mild, too.

From my own personal experience, I even had a doctor tell me the same thing-that he was going to prescribe it for me due to its mildness, aside from helping my adult acne, too. 

@Toppers Thank you but I was referring to more scientific studies or info not from a magazine known more for promoting  products than true science.   That isn't to say there isn't any but I haven't come across anything real substantial yet. Differen has been around a fairly long time now  so I think if it were an equal antianging product like Tretenoin cream there would be more documentation out there about it.

I know now a couple people who used Differin and they peeled like crazy and could never stop peeling so they gave up on it. .025 retin a is much more gentle for them and is proven to work for wrinkles without much irritation. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @HappyDaze,

It's interesting regarding your friends' experiences with Retin A at its lowest doses, and skin tolerances.

I couldn't tolerate it, myself, when I tried it. I just kept peeling from it, and it was too irritating. I have really sensitive skin.

However, I can tolerate Differin.

I started off with it very sparingly, like once a week, to help minimize any peeling and irritation, since my skin is so sensitive. 

Editing my reply to add:

Regarding findings on Differin, I was just thinking that maybe there aren't that many findings out there on it, because it's primarily an acne treatment first? That's what I'm thinking.

When you look it up online, that's what you'll find about it-it being prescribed for acne.

That's what I happen to think, anyway. Just throwing my thoughts out there, after thinking about it some more. Smiley Happy

Then, as one of the Derms mentioned in the New Beauty article, since it's a retinoid, it will have the benefits of a retinoid, too. Smiley Happy

I've seen that for myself, since using it. I don't want to get into that because that might take the thread down, for making medical claims, and so on. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

To my understanding Differin is not an anti aging retinol.