Respected Contributor

Differin OTC - Anyone use for wrinkles instead of acne?

I have forehead lines and was wondering if Differin might help soften them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Differin OTC - Anyone use for wrinkles instead of acne?

I am going to try it after I use up the product I'm currently using.

Respected Contributor

Dr. Dray, dermatologist on YouTube, has a video showing how she uses it.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been using about 3 months, little difference in wrinkles or fine lines. Actually when you start using it, it dries your skin out so they can look worse at first. ...but oh boy does work on acne and cleaning up the skin. It purged cysts under my skin that had been there probably for years/months. Once your skin adapts, the purging stops, took about 2 months for my skin . Your skin looks smoother and move even toned. Think it exfoliates so well other ingredients from creams and serums can penetrate. My Vit C serum & Rose Hip oil seems more effective since using Differin

Honored Contributor

I don't use it but I know that as a retinoid it has anti-wrinkle capability. The type of retinoid is different from Retin-A  in that it doesn't go deep into the skin layers to the innermost retinoid receptors so the results you will see are going to be less of a change than if you used Retin-A. One advantage to using Differin is that is can be used during the day and it's less irritating than Retin-A. However, if you are sensitive to Retin-A  or cannot use it at all then Differin might not be recommended to use either. You'd be better off in this case to go with a retinol.

Esteemed Contributor

I am going to give this medication a try for both chin acne and fine lines. I bought a big tube.

Trusted Contributor

@TYwrote:

I am going to give this medication a try for both chin acne and fine lines. I bought a big tube.

I have used Differin on my chin & please be careful as I had made the mistake of smearing another product on which took the Differin closer to my mouth and I got a side mouth crease=a new wrinkle. I'm careful to use Differin last now, about an hour after I wash my face, and the skin has thickened back so it's less noticble now. 

Respected Contributor

On the YouTube video I looked at, Dr Dray used an oil-free moisturizer which she let dry, then applied Aquaphor around her eyes, nose and mouth before applying Differin.

Valued Contributor

I haven't used this for wrinkles, but I have been using it for several months to manage acne on my chin area for which it works wonders. 

If you are going to try this, I would highly recommend starting out by applying it every other day or every two days as it really dries out your skin. I use it at night and I apply a very good moisturizer afterwards. You can expect some peeling initially but this goes away after a while. 

I found that it works well it I use it consistently every night. I would recommend that you use a very good sunscreen. 

Trusted Contributor

I used OTC Differin for softening wrinkles.  After a week of use, my face was a red, dry, mess.  Perhaps I have an allergy to Differin; I've heard of other women who tolerated it just fine.  I would advise you to approach your use of Differin with caution, maybe giving yourself a patch test for a week or so to see how your skin reacts.  I wish I would have done that, it took two weeks for my skin to stop peeling and longer still to reduce the incredible dryness.