Respected Contributor

Differin Gel - OTC - Your experience?

I picked up a small tube and have not started it yet, I thought about mixing just a tiny bit into my night time moisturizer since I don't want to get overly dry.

My reason is, I am 48 and still very combo and seem to get clogged pores easier now where I never did before (even cleansing twice daily, using clarisonic and Dr. Denese Pads nightly) plus I have some of those pesky enlarged oil glands that I know you can't really get rid of and the occasional pimple, it just seems like I can never just put a little foundation or powder on and go, always trying to conceal pimples or bumps.

Anyone have good or bad experience with it? How often did you use and for how long or have you just continued with it?  Would love some feedback before I dive in.

Thank you!!  Hope everyone is staying home & staying healthy.

Valued Contributor

Re: Differin Gel - OTC - Your experience?

@SandGirl 

Hi while I have not used differin I follow the young dermatologist on YouTube Dr Dray she has about 3 or 4 videos on how to use differen  and a  Q a d A about differin 

Have a good night 

Valued Contributor

I have been using this since it became available as an OTC medication. I found that it works well with my very oily skin. I started out using it every other day as it was very drying and my skin peeled like crazy. After a few weeks my skin adjusted and I like the results. 

When I used this is gave up using all exfoliators and moisturized day and night. 

Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl  - I used Differin many years ago when I had acne issues.  It worked well, but it may take a little time for your skin to adjust as it can be drying.  Back then my skin was oily so I didn't really have drying issues.   I suggest using it sparingly and see how your skin reacts.   I don't suggest mixing it with your moisturizer.  Put a light layer on your skin and follow up with a moisturizer.  Let the medicine sink into your skin to get the most benefit.  Then put the moisturizer on top of the medicine. 

I think you'll be happy with the results.  Would love to hear a follow up on how you're doing.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have very sensitive skin, and Differin was first prescribed for me for this reason, as a chance to use something that wasn't as strong as Retin-A. but was still a retinoid product that could still help my skin.

I was also having problems with adult acne and cystic acne, and it did help.

I now buy the OTC product and still use it sparingly because my skin is so sensitive.

I started out by using the prescription product like once a week like once a month, and then moved up to once every 3 weeks, then once a week once every 2 weeks, until I made it to once a week.

Editing to add, I did this all gradually too, letting my skin adjust as the product did cause redness for me. 

I also do use a gentle moisturizer while using it, and did not use any additional active products while using it, meaning that I didn't add in any additional products with Salicylic acid or additional Vit. C products or other retinol products. 

My skin is too reactive to use anything else.

I have Rosacea too, so anything else besides a Rosacea medication, can be irritating to my skin.

So, I have to be careful about what I use on facial my skin especially, including cleansers and moisturizers and skin treatment products. 

Of course every one varies and their skin is differernt in sensitivity, but this is what I did, using the Differin very conservatively while erring on the side of caution. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@SandGirlWhen I started using Retin A, I read a lot on this board. What I learned was to wait 20 minutes after washing my face before applying the Retin A. You want you skin to be dry and at the correct pH. In applying, more is not better. Use a pea size amount, dot it around your face (& neck) and then spread. Start with 3 nights a week. If you find it too drying, you can either cut back, or try the short contact method where you apply a simple moisturizer 30 minutes after the Differin.

For your clogged pores, I solved those forever and balanced my skin using the oil cleansing method (no spaces+.com). I did it twice a week for two weeks and then once a week for a few more weeks. It's awesome!

I continue to use Retin A  (.025) for anti-aging, 3 timees a week during the winter, 5 nights a week in warmer weather.

Respected Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn wrote:

@SandGirl 

Hi while I have not used differin I follow the young dermatologist on YouTube Dr Dray she has about 3 or 4 videos on how to use differen  and a  Q a d A about differin 

Have a good night 

Thank you, I did watch some of her videos, very helpful!

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@SandGirl  - I used Differin many years ago when I had acne issues.  It worked well, but it may take a little time for your skin to adjust as it can be drying.  Back then my skin was oily so I didn't really have drying issues.   I suggest using it sparingly and see how your skin reacts.   I don't suggest mixing it with your moisturizer.  Put a light layer on your skin and follow up with a moisturizer.  Let the medicine sink into your skin to get the most benefit.  Then put the moisturizer on top of the medicine. 

I think you'll be happy with the results.  Would love to hear a follow up on how you're doing.  Smiley Happy

@San Antonio Gal 

Thank you!! I'm so nervious to start it but I am working from home at I thought maybe this is a good time to start slow and see how my skin does with it. I will for sure come back and let you guys know how I do  Smiley Happy  Stay safe and Healthy!!

Respected Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

I have very sensitive skin, and Differin was first prescribed for me for this reason, as a chance to use something that wasn't as strong as Retin-A. but was still a retinoid product that could still help my skin.

I was also having problems with adult acne and cystic acne, and it did help.

I now buy the OTC product and still use it sparingly because my skin is so sensitive.

I started out by using the prescription product like once a week like once a month, and then moved up to once every 3 weeks, then once a week once every 2 weeks, until I made it to once a week.

Editing to add, I did this all gradually too, letting my skin adjust as the product did cause redness for me. 

I also do use a gentle moisturizer while using it, and did not use any additional active products while using it, meaning that I didn't add in any additional products with Salicylic acid or additional Vit. C products or other retinol products. 

My skin is too reactive to use anything else.

I have Rosacea too, so anything else besides a Rosacea medication, can be irritating to my skin.

So, I have to be careful about what I use on facial my skin especially, including cleansers and moisturizers and skin treatment products. 

Of course every one varies and their skin is differernt in sensitivity, but this is what I did, using the Differin very conservatively while erring on the side of caution. Smiley Happy

@Toppers3  Thank you SO much for all the great info. and tips, this is VERY helpful as I do have somewhat reactive skin, like sometimes I do fine with Vit C but other times I use the same product and end up with a bumpy rash, unpredictiable skin is what I call it! I have horrible skin allergies so I always have to be careful when I use stuff on my face and body and always go super slow and spot check it for a day or two, we all learn the hard way LOL  Thank you again for taking time to help me out!

Respected Contributor

@cantdrive55 wrote:

@SandGirlWhen I started using Retin A, I read a lot on this board. What I learned was to wait 20 minutes after washing my face before applying the Retin A. You want you skin to be dry and at the correct pH. In applying, more is not better. Use a pea size amount, dot it around your face (& neck) and then spread. Start with 3 nights a week. If you find it too drying, you can either cut back, or try the short contact method where you apply a simple moisturizer 30 minutes after the Differin.

For your clogged pores, I solved those forever and balanced my skin using the oil cleansing method (no spaces+.com). I did it twice a week for two weeks and then once a week for a few more weeks. It's awesome!

I continue to use Retin A  (.025) for anti-aging, 3 timees a week during the winter, 5 nights a week in warmer weather.

@cantdrive55  Thanks for the help and tips! I have only used one oil cleanser and that was Tatcha and it felt sooo good cleansing with it but I did break out and I rinsed it like crazy and used a toner or Dr D pads after to ensure I got it all but I may need to try a diff. brand or maybe even get one from ETSY!! I will for sure look into it, I never had "congested" pores in my life even when I was breakout prone I would just get a pimple, pop it and move on now they seem to be embedded like I'm not even cleaning my skin well and I am!! Thanks for the help and tips  Smiley Happy