Respected Contributor

Did your hair go from straight to somewhat curly during peri / menopause?

Ok - what else can 2020 bring? LOL

So, I have hair about to the top of my bra line, I'm knocking at 50 and so far have no gray hair (yet) so the texture of my hair hasn't changed much and I do not color at all (never have) 

But, the back of my head is getting so curly, especially up the back, seriously it's so wavy/curly that it looks like the back of my hair is uneven because it's pulling it UP where it curls LOL. The sides are still fairly straight (I have always had STICK STRAIGHT HAIR so this is crazy) and the hair laying over it is straight so bascially it's just super curly (tight waves) in the back of my head, if it was like that all over I would be in heaven but, it's not.

My dad has naturally curly hair and so did his mother.

So, has this happened to others? Do you think the rest of it will eventually become curly? Is there any products I can "try" to see if I can get the wavy curl around the rest of my head? Maybe try a diffuser?  Maybe the rest is straight since I stretch that hair more as I blow dry it straight and obviously don't use the same tension in the back.

Sorry for the ramble but, I just got done taking my shower and blow drying my hair for the night and I'm just amazing......blame it on the crazy hormones I guess.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did your hair go from straight to somewhat curly during peri / menopause?

Yes,my hair has gotten sorta curly over the last ten years.  I buy an Aussie rinse for curly hair to encourage it.  My hair color is grey.

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Yes,my hair has gotten sorta curly over the last ten years.  I buy an Aussie rinse for curly hair to encourage it.  My hair color is grey.

Thank you, That is what I'm thinking I need is something to encourage it. I normally blow my hair straight then put light curls in it, I hate my hair straight so I'm actually happy about the curls but wish they were the same way all over, it's like SUPER curly, almost tight wave in the back, its bringing my hair UP back there so tha tis how curly it is. I have wanted curls my entire life so I will welcome it, just want them all over and not just in the back LOL

Trusted Contributor

Yes, when I turned 30, my hair went from straight to curly. I used to get perms, but my hair ended up looking that way naturally

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

Yes, when I turned 30, my hair went from straight to curly. I used to get perms, but my hair ended up looking that way naturally

I haven't had a perm since I was about 27ish but, YES I used to get perms to because my hair was STICK straight, now the back iis getting curly (I mean, it's the type of curls I got with a perm... that curly) but I want to encourage the curls all over, I hope it's not just the back.  I blow dry my hair straight and then curl it so I'm wondering if I'm stretching the sides hair straight and if I diffused and encouraged curls I wonder if I would start getting them, I'm praying its not just the back of my head!

Honored Contributor

I wish.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I wish.

@Icegoddess  Trust me, I wish too, it looks awful with it curly in the back and straight on the sides, I can't "use" the curls at this point!

Esteemed Contributor

I too had straight hair all my life, thick but straight,  It went curly about 2 yrs ago, wash and wear curly and I loved it.  Well earlier this year it went straight again and I hate it. Any one want many unopened bottles of shampoo, conditioner, spray and everything  you can think of for curls plus a very expensive diffuser hairdryer LOL Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@morganjen wrote:

I haven't had a perm since I was about 27ish but, YES I used to get perms to because my hair was STICK straight, now the back iis getting curly (I mean, it's the type of curls I got with a perm... that curly) but I want to encourage the curls all over, I hope it's not just the back.  I blow dry my hair straight and then curl it so I'm wondering if I'm stretching the sides hair straight and if I diffused and encouraged curls I wonder if I would start getting them, I'm praying its not just the back of my head!

I think that your hair stylist would be able to help tell you the next time that you are able to go in and see them, what type of hair that you have.

I used to usually wear my hair short, but it wasn't until I started to grow it out again, that I actually saw that it was wavy-curly.

Mine is more curly underneath though, and wavy on the top, so if it grows longer, the curliness comes out on the bottom and it looks kind of like "poodle hair" there, no matter how long it gets! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

A stylist told me that that's just the way that it grows, and the best look for me is to wear it at a shorter length--still long enough for me, but to wear it shorter where I can get more volume out of it.

Honored Contributor

Your hair "can" change......but not necessarily "will" change texture several times in your lifetime.

♥Surface of the Sun♥