Valued Contributor

Did everyone have to pick a nickname?

I've posted off and on for many years and just had to pick a nickname. I used the name I always post with and added 01 after.

I probably had more then a thousand messages that I've posted over the years and now it say 300 and something.

These boards haven't changed for the best in my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did everyone have to pick a nickname?

I did. I thought there was some kind of glitch, but guess not.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nadine - Lots of us lost thousands of posts, when they switched over to the new format, along with the date we originally registered.  For some strange reason though, other posters seem to have kept their total number of posts. I admit I never even bother to look at my own total now.  I just post what I want, when I feel like it! 

I've always had a nickname and I haven't been asked to change it.

(ETA:  I love the new format of the forums.  I don't like the emoticons they have now, but that's the only negative for me.)

Respected Contributor

At one time I had over 8000 posts. Then the board was changed and I went down to 3000-something.

A few days ago I had to re-register in order to sign in. (I added a "2" to my former nickname.) So now, after a couple decades, I am a "new contributor" with a mere handful of posts.

In the big picture, of course, it's fairly meaningless. But I'm still annoyed.

Respected Contributor

I put in the same nickname and it took it.  Also, it seems I always have to log in twice.  It rarely logs me in on the first try.  Frustrating! 

Valued Contributor

I think it bothered me because people on here get to know you in a sense. There are names that I see that I'm familar with and always look at what they've posted.

I know it's not a major thing just a little annoyance.

Trusted Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

I think it bothered me because people on here get to know you in a sense. There are names that I see that I'm familar with and always look at what they've posted.

I know it's not a major thing just a little annoyance.

Have to admit it's a bit annoying too @Nadine, I had a name and it was Mimi something -- bad memory! but it's my my real nickname and then I took a diff name, maybe I changed it or had to. Either way, I knew the very old board - it was a tad crazy at times but a simple set-up. I've gotten to like many nice people from there -geesh seems like ages ago! Then it broke off to a kind of complicated forum and then facebook..where I became pals with some people from here to there.

I'm on a FB break now - I like it but can't keep up with it sometimes...too much!! and feel bad if I can't reply to everything or "like"! So many people went there and then it branched off to sooo many Q sites, sales of Q items used and new and Q addicts and much more. I just cannot keep up with it LOL. I lost many posts when it switched to this rather new BB. I don't care, it's okay...I like to read the reviews on here and come share...it's fun.

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Respected Contributor

I put in the same nickname and it took it.

Regular Contributor

Yep, it recently asked me to enter a nickname, too, even though I've been posting for many years (although was able to use same name).  Not sure what's going on.

Honored Contributor

@Nadine, @happycat@insomniac2, @mimi5775, @griffy,

This has been happening to some (but not all) posters for weeks now.  Evidently, as some have noticed, if you type in your usual nickname as the "new" one the system does accept it -- but there's no way for people to know that when they see the prompt.

In many cases, you can go into your account and change the nickname back to the original.

The problem is that in some cases, for some posters (we have no idea why) the system won't allow them to change back to the exact same nickname.   They get a message saying someone else already has that name...  so, if that happens, you'll have to try and change it to something close to your previous nickname and then come back later and try again.   For some reason, if some posters waited a few days and tried again, they were able to switch back to their old nickname, so don't give up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's what you can try:

1 -- Go into "My Account"

2 -- Choose  "My Nickname"

3 -- You'll see your current nickname and a box to enter a new one.

4 -- Try entering the old nickname exactly as it was before (be sure not to change anything about it).  Or, enter another nickname you'd prefer to have.

5 -- Click "Continue"

6 -- If it accepts the change, then log out.

7 -- Then log back into the Community and the change should take effect.

(A name change won't take effect until you log out and then log back in).

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova