Respected Contributor

Did anyone see this article about spray subscreens?

This is interesting. I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. I can't post a link, so you'll have to highlight and paste. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5564533?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000037
Trusted Contributor

Re: Did anyone see this article about spray subscreens?

What is that?
Respected Contributor

Are spray sunscreens bad? My Dermatologist said they were ok.
Respected Contributor

I read where the FDS recommends not using them on children. They shouldn't inhale the spray while it's being sprayed.
Honored Contributor

Basically the article says that until the FDA is done investigating them, spray sunscreens should not be used by or on children because they shouldn't be inhaling the spray.

Spray on sunscreen is all I ever buy because my DH is more apt to use that than to apply lotion. It's just easier and he can spray it all over on himself.

Honored Contributor

I always feel like they are hard to control - half of the spray winds up blowing away.

I prefer lotion to spray.

Honored Contributor

The recent thing I heard about using the spray SPF is that people still don't use enough and to get 2-3 sprays instead of just once. Spray, rub in, let dry and repeat for 2 or 3 more times. Takes minutes.

Honored Contributor

At the end is says they're worried about triggering asthma attacks. I use them often for reapplication on the go and I have asthma. I'm an adult and know not to breathe in, but I wouldn't use it on a child if inhaling the vapor is the concern. I also only apply it when I'm outside, so I don't get a cloud of the spray in my home.

Honored Contributor

My daughter just told me about this yesterday. She loves the beach. She also has 4 children who are on swim teams, etc.

Even though they are in the sun a lot you can tell that she takes good care of them as far as protecting against the sun because they are barely tan.

Anyway, she was very upset about the article. She said, "Mom, I use the spray all of the time".

I said, "Well, it makes sense because it is aerosole and you do inhale some of it when you spray it".

I told her to just use cream from now on. She said, "Of course I will now but it won't be easy. Mom, do you have any idea how hard it is to get suntan lotion on a 2 year old who sit still for 2 seconds!"

Honored Contributor

I didn't read the article yet but I've always avoided using sunscreen sprays for a variety of reasons, one being that before the fairly recent FDA sunscreen labeling changes, they were known to not be very effective at truly preventing sun damage (hard to apply the proper amount, etc). A second big reason is due to the controversy of inhalation of the sunscreen. So imho, if they are now saying don't use them on kids due to inhalation issue, I'd apply that recommendation onto myself. So still no spray sunscreens for me and my family.