Honored Contributor

Re: Did Retinol Make Your Wrinkles Disappear?

@Mindy D   Of course tests, pregnancy and close monitoring is required while taking Accutane. I'm happy we got this straightened out...finally. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Mindy D   Of course tests, pregnancy and close monitoring is required while taking Accutane. I'm happy we got this straightened out...finally. 

I think the confusion stems from the fact that all the drugs under discussion are retinoids.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carol Diane wrote:

@Nonametoday , I believe you are talking about the oral medication Accutane.  That's a whole different ball game.  Retin-A cream or gel applied topically is NOTHING like that.  Yes, you do need a prescription and usually you have to ease into its use because it can irritate your skin until you build up a tolerance.  It can soften wrinkles and I've used it for years and have nice skin.  I hope you didn't scare away everyone with your information.  The OP wasn't talking about oral Accutane, which is used to clear cystic acne or acne that may not have responded to topical medications. I'm pretty sure she was talking about the topical cream.

@Carol Diane   No, I am talking about oral not gel or cream.  I think Accutane is off the market.

Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina  Try watching Penn.Smith.skincare on YouTube. *Everything* you want to know about products, and skincare in general, she covers. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

Get yourself some cataracts and your wrinkles will disappear for free.

Honored Contributor

I'm 75 and lost 85 pounds about 7 years ago, and now, more slowly, have lost another 7 or 8 pounds, all for medical reasons.

A year or so after my planned significant weight loss, I had surgery on one eye, which resulted in miraculous correction of a vision disability that had caused me numerous vision  problems for many years, but also, because of my eye being removed temporarily from its socket, resulted in permanent stretching of the skin on the right side of my face.

As a direct result of both of these situations, my facial skin, which was originally fairly unwrnkled, has all but crumpled like a used Kleenex. I have checkerboards on my cheeks, 11111s between my eyes, and deep creases between nose and lips and lips and chin. My face is no longer symmetrical, with a slight though noticeable (to me) difference between my right and left cheeks.

Had I ever known the wreck that would have been made of my face, I would have gone right ahead and lost the weight (no surgery, just determination) and without hesitation, had the eye surgery. This is the sort of decision making that is necessary when one addresses life situations at any age, and perhaps more specifically when one arrives at late 60s-early 70s.

Fortunately for me I always made my way on my sense of humor rather than my appearance. I DO use retinol treatments. Thanks to the TWO miraculous intersessions I've already received, I don't expect any from my mirror.

Trusted Contributor

Retinol is not the same as Retin A.  You need a RX for Retin A or it’s generic , Trentinoin.  Retin A and it’s generic work great.  It eliminates and prevents wrinkles, evens out skin tone and shrinks pores.  You will notice a significant improvement in your skin. It will look younger, smooth and glow.   It’s what the top Dermatologists recommend you use at night  followed by a moisturizer then in the morning a good brand CE Ferulic Serum such as SkinCeutcals brand.  I use both and they work.  Don’t waste your money on over-the- counter products.  If your insurance won’t pay for Retin A or Treninoin, you can find a coupon online from GoodRx and buy it for $60 to $100.  A tube lasts a long time.  The CE Ferulic from SkinCeuticals (which is the brand recommended by Dermatologists) will cost about $160. but that also lasts a long time.  It’s worth the investment because the combination of the two really work,  been using them for years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OMG @violann . You've been through so much. A sense of humor is definitely helpful when dealing with serious medical issues. Obviously, you made the right decision health wise to lose the weight. Your health would always come first before appearance. Mine would, too. Happy Holidays.

Shanus

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Danielle46 wrote:

Retinol is not the same as Retin A.  You need a RX for Retin A or it’s generic , Trentinoin.  Retin A and it’s generic work great.  It eliminates and prevents wrinkles, evens out skin tone and shrinks pores.  You will notice a significant improvement in your skin. It will look younger, smooth and glow.   It’s what the top Dermatologists recommend you use at night  followed by a moisturizer then in the morning a good brand CE Ferulic Serum such as SkinCeutcals brand.  I use both and they work.  Don’t waste your money on over-the- counter products.  If your insurance won’t pay for Retin A or Treninoin, you can find a coupon online from GoodRx and buy it for $60 to $100.  A tube lasts a long time.  The CE Ferulic from SkinCeuticals (which is the brand recommended by Dermatologists) will cost about $160. but that also lasts a long time.  It’s worth the investment because the combination of the two really work,  been using them for years.

@Danielle46  Several months ago I switched off to Obagi Professional C 20% (also comes in 10% to start and 15% to move up to the 20% strength). It has a discount code now on the site I usually use LovelySkindotcom. The prices are between $75-$95 instead of Skinceuticals $168 for Vit. C E Ferulic, which keeps going up. I see no difference in the results. When I had my derm visit, she said the Obagi Professional C is a good alternative. 

Since I use this serum every day face, neck, chest and hands, it barely lasts a month and a half. I plan to alternate purchases between the two serums just to save some money. I purchased 2 bottles of the Obagi serum several months ago and since I see the same results as Skinceuticals, may stay with it. 

I've never used Retinol since I prefer the prescription strength. I use 0.1%. There are lower strengths (percentages) for beginning Retin A. For those starting the medication, there's a lot of info on YouTube about getting started, enduring the beginning stages of redness and peeling and encouragement to keep going to attain the desired results. 

RETIN A MAKES YOUR SKIN EVEN MORE SUN SENSITIVE!!! You must use a higher SPF. I use spf 50  every day, rain or shine and 365 days a year. If not willing to do that, do not begin or use Retin A. You will damage your newly exfoliated skin.

***One of frequent questions I get is "Will it work for me if I'm in my 60's and 70's and never used it". I say you're never too old to begin Retin A. It helps to build collagen under the skin. You may not see your skin become wrinkle free as if you've used it when younger, but the exfoliating and cell turnover process, if nothing else, will help your moisturizers penetrate much better. Always check with your dermatologist. You need to go anyway to get your RX. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina-- somebody on this board told me several years ago that Retinol will not get rid of wrinkles in a few weeks.  That poster told me that using Retinol consistently will "stop time" and considerably slow down the wrinkling process.  If you're looking for immediate results, Retinol is not for you.   Over many years, I found out she was correct.  My complexion sort of froze in place.  I haven't added any wrinkles and my complexion is still smooth after using OTC Retinol consistently, every night, for about 20 years.  I'm 70.

You can buy high quality Retinol brands at the drugstore.  My derm says that in most cases, the cheapest brands are the best.   She told me to use ROC and not even bother with expensive brands.  I've used ROC, Alpha Hydrox, and Amara Beauty Retinol creams.  The trick is to be consistent.  

Everyone's complexion is different and no two people will have the same results.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt