Honored Contributor

Re: Did Retinol Make Your Wrinkles Disappear?

Retin  A and Retinol are both retinoids.  Retin A is stronger and works faster and it is super expensive.  Insurance will only cover this RX drug for acne...and yes, they will request medical records to make sure you have severe acne before it is covered for adults.

Retinol can be bought OTC.  It does work to reduce wrinkles but since it is weaker, it works more slowly.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Shanus  The pharmacy kind which requires a prescription, a pregnancy test and liver enzymes before using will cause your wrinkles to go away but can cause liver problems.  I used it for acne of a very serious degree in various parts of my body, not just my face.  My wrinkles disappeared while using but they returned with a vengeance when I was finished.  I had to stop because I began turning yellow.  Buyer beware.

@Nonametoday   I'm sorry you had that happen to you. Yes, Retin A requires a prescription, but in 40 years of use, no one has asked, suggested, required or taken a pregnancy test or discussed liver damage. I've had my prescriptions written by many different dermatologists and my general physician over the years. Not one doctor mentioned the effects you suffered. I do have a physical every year that includes thorough blood testing which would show any irregularities. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Shanus  The pharmacy kind which requires a prescription, a pregnancy test and liver enzymes before using will cause your wrinkles to go away but can cause liver problems.  I used it for acne of a very serious degree in various parts of my body, not just my face.  My wrinkles disappeared while using but they returned with a vengeance when I was finished.  I had to stop because I began turning yellow.  Buyer beware.

@Nonametoday   I'm sorry you had that happen to you. Yes, Retin A requires a prescription, but in 40 years of use, no one has asked, suggested, required or taken a pregnancy test or discussed liver damage. I've had my prescriptions written by many different dermatologists and my general physician over the years. Not one doctor mentioned the effects you suffered. I do have a physical every year that includes thorough blood testing which would show any irregularities. 

@Shanus   I am happy you have had no ill effects.  I undetstand only about 10% have same as I had.  Don't know why I was required to get pregnancy test and lab work but I was.  Maybe a difference in dermatologists.  Mine is a teaching university doctor.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Shanus   I am happy you have had no ill effects.  I undetstand only about 10% have same as I had.  Don't know why I was required to get pregnancy test and lab work but I was.  Maybe a difference in dermatologists.  Mine is a teaching university doctor.  

@RinaRina @Shanus   Perhaps the difference is that I had oral retinoids.  Did you have oral or cream?  You cannot treat hidradenitis suppurativa with cream.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The science behind Retin-A explains why it is stronger than retinol and the reason why RA is a drug. RA is formulated to enter the deepest layers of the skin where it becomes interactive at the cellular level and acts more like a hormone rather than a typical skin care active. Retinol, otoh, cannot reach the deeper layer and is designed to treat surface skin.  Technically retinol reacts with only one type of retinoid receptor close to the surface. We have 3 types of receptors where the other 2 are deeper and only RA can reach all three. RA is the only retionoid that can do that. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Nonametoday   I wish you had explained about only 10% (& maybe fewer) experience any serious physical side effects from this topical cream. Many others who may have read your post quickly and not thoroughly are quite frightened if they've been using prescription Retin A. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday   Quite a difference between oral medication entering your system and a topical cream. You did not clarify that. 

Honored Contributor

Just get 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycolic_acidself some glycolic acid.

The best way to use the right amount is with Dr Denese firming facial pads.

First use a microfiber cloth in warm water.  Wipe face good.

Then use the Dr Denese pads.  I follow that with Hydroshield, but I think any good moisturizer will work.

I have no brown spots or wrinkles.  Next month I’ll be 73.

I’ve been using glycolic acid since I was in my mid 30’s.  I won’t go into how I found out about it right now.

I do this morning and night.  Some of the lack of wrinkles is heredity and facial expressions.

However, I’m convinced a good amount it the use of those products.

Go google “How much skin does the body shed in a year” and you will see how important it is to get that dead skin off of your face every single day.

When I started using the glycolic acid I had to get it at a health food store.

I think Dr Denese uses the right amount as too strong will not be good for face.

Good luck.  Anyone can have nice skin if they just stay out of sun, use sunscreen and ( I believe) use the right products.

Valued Contributor

@Nonametoday , I believe you are talking about the oral medication Accutane.  That's a whole different ball game.  Retin-A cream or gel applied topically is NOTHING like that.  Yes, you do need a prescription and usually you have to ease into its use because it can irritate your skin until you build up a tolerance.  It can soften wrinkles and I've used it for years and have nice skin.  I hope you didn't scare away everyone with your information.  The OP wasn't talking about oral Accutane, which is used to clear cystic acne or acne that may not have responded to topical medications. I'm pretty sure she was talking about the topical cream.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

The pregnancy test is because of the possibility that Accutane (Isotretinoin), a related drug, used for cystic acne, could cause birth defects. It also can cause liver damage.  Accutane, like Retin A  (tretinoin), is a retinoid but the two drugs are not identical. Accutane is the strongest retinoid available by prescription and it is taken orally. Retin A aka, Tretinoin, is also used to treat acne and wrinkles but it is not as strong as Accutane. Retin A, for acne and wrinkles, is applied topically. Retin A is sometimes used in the treatment of leukemia and is taken orally in this case.