Respected Contributor

Did Retinol Make Your Wrinkles Disappear?

Can I get from AMZN or should I go to a Dermatologist?

I found some on AMZN, but some of the users said they doubted the product had any retinol in it.  Not encouraging!

Ashame, sometimes you don't know if you're getting "fakes".

BTW, do dermatologists usually carry retinol in their office or do I have to buy it at the drugstore?

What's the average price?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Did Retinol Make Your Wrinkles Disappear?

I have never used it, but my daughter did when she was a teen for acne.  It came in a tiny tube and we purchased it from the pharmacy with a prescription.

I was at the Dermatologist last week with my sister who had Moh surgery.  I spoke to the Derm while he was working on her and asked about retinol.  The Derm said it does work on wrinkles, but slowly.

He also said the best over the counter stuff for the best price was found in medications for acne. He advised that if sold for wrinkle prevention the price was inflated, but it was pretty much the same stuff as acne meds with a different label.

I haven't done any further research on acne products or retinol.  I was just being nosy in case I ever wanted to try it.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina.  Did Retinol Make Your Wrinkles Disappear?

Surely you jest!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Retinol is not the same as Retin-A, a Rx drug. Retinol is an otc substance. Only Rx Retin-A is scientifically proven to treat aging skin including wrinkles. No other product can officially state that about wrinkle reduction.  The one and only Retin-A is the gold standard for treating wrinkles. 

Regular Contributor

RINA RINA   I've used it for years.  You need a prescription, used to get in from Costco for $40.00.  Tube lasted about 3 months.  Then Costco's price nearly doubled so I would have my doctor fax a prescription to Canada, I used Pharmaca.com, but there are others.  I have pretty good skin, I'm in my 70's, but I still have wrinkles but not bad. I am now using a different product. Remember using Retinol makes your skin extra, extra sensitive to the sun.  Talk to your dermatoligist.     FELINEMOM

@RinaRina wrote:

Can I get from AMZN or should I go to a Dermatologist?

I found some on AMZN, but some of the users said they doubted the product had any retinol in it.  Not encouraging!

Ashame, sometimes you don't know if you're getting "fakes".

BTW, do dermatologists usually carry retinol in their office or do I have to buy it at the drugstore?

What's the average price?

Honored Contributor

You do not need a Rx for retinol.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Retinol is not the same as Retin-A, a Rx drug. Retinol is an otc substance. Only Rx Retin-A is scientifically proven to treat aging skin including wrinkles. No other product can officially state that about wrinkle reduction.  The one and only Retin-A is the gold standard for treating wrinkles. 

@SilleeMee   Here we go again, huh? 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee   Here we go again, huh? 

===================================

Ohhhh!  Good info!

I'm not familiar with "Retin-A".

I thought Retinol was vitamin A.

Thanks.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@Shanus  The pharmacy kind which requires a prescription, a pregnancy test and liver enzymes before using will cause your wrinkles to go away but can cause liver problems.  I used it for acne of a very serious degree in various parts of my body, not just my face.  My wrinkles disappeared while using but they returned with a vengeance when I was finished.  I had to stop because I began turning yellow.  Buyer beware.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Shanus  The pharmacy kind which requires a prescription, a pregnancy test and liver enzymes before using will cause your wrinkles to go away but can cause liver problems.  I used it for acne of a very serious degree in various parts of my body, not just my face.  My wrinkles disappeared while using but they returned with a vengeance when I was finished.  I had to stop because I began turning yellow.  Buyer beware.

Yikes!