Respected Contributor

Re: Did Retinol Make Your Wrinkles Disappear?

No it does not.  I have used the Rx tretinoin gel for years (few times a week mixed with a cream) and it just makes my face peel and show fresher skin but the wrinkles and pores are still there.  

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@RinaRina-- somebody on this board told me several years ago that Retinol will not get rid of wrinkles in a few weeks.  That poster told me that using Retinol consistently will "stop time" and considerably slow down the wrinkling process.  If you're looking for immediate results, Retinol is not for you.   Over many years, I found out she was correct.  My complexion sort of froze in place.  I haven't added any wrinkles and my complexion is still smooth after using OTC Retinol consistently, every night, for about 20 years.  I'm 70.

You can buy high quality Retinol brands at the drugstore.  My derm says that in most cases, the cheapest brands are the best.   She told me to use ROC and not even bother with expensive brands.  I've used ROC, Alpha Hydrox, and Amara Beauty Retinol creams.  The trick is to be consistent.  

Everyone's complexion is different and no two people will have the same results.

@tototwo   Retinol, even the most expensive drugstore brand is not the same as perscription strength Retin A. You can spend upwards of $35 a jar for a cream with a small % of retinol and wait 6 months or more for some if any results and $60 for a 3 month supply of Retin A which is proven to work in a shorter period of time. Your decision of course. 

Esteemed Contributor

I know that, @Shanus.  She asked about Retinol, so I responded with my experience with Retinol.  Yes, it is my decision.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

It's a myth that using retinoids will make your skin more likey to get sunburned. Retinoids do not affect the skin's ability to protect itself from UV light.

Another myth is that you can't use retinoids during the day...myth! The reason you should use them at night is because retinoids are light-sensitive and are destroyed by light. That's why retinoids are packaged in opaque containers. Use retionoids anytime and if during the daytime wear sunscreen to protect your skin as well as giving the retinoid protection from UV destruction so it can work as intended.

For more myths about retionoids search (from Allure):

11 Retinol Myths That Derms Want You to Stop Believing

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's a myth that using retinoids will make your skin more likey to get sunburned. Retinoids do not affect the skin's ability to protect itself from UV light.

Another myth is that you can't use retinoids during the day...myth! The reason you should use them at night is because retinoids are light-sensitive and are destroyed by light. That's why retinoids are packaged in opaque containers. Use retionoids anytime and if during the daytime wear sunscreen to protect your skin as well as giving the retinoid protection from UV destruction so it can work as intended.

For more myths about retionoids search (from Allure):

11 Retinol Myths That Derms Want You to Stop Believing

@SilleeMee   It may be a myth re: sun sensitivity, but because I'm so fair and maybe also use acids, etc. I find I burn more easily and went up on my spf. I'm sure every one is different. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Shanus  The pharmacy kind which requires a prescription, a pregnancy test and liver enzymes before using will cause your wrinkles to go away but can cause liver problems.  I used it for acne of a very serious degree in various parts of my body, not just my face.  My wrinkles disappeared while using but they returned with a vengeance when I was finished.  I had to stop because I began turning yellow.  Buyer beware.

That's what happened to me! I stopped using retin-A because I was tired of a red, peeling face. Used it for about a year and a half because I was just beginning to see lines. Stopped using it and it had its revenge. I got lines I'd never seen before! Out......of.....the.....blue!!!

Respected Contributor

My skin did become more sun sensitive. I was using the highest strength of Retina micro. I had already been using a very high sunblock but added hats and large sunglasses.

My derm said it's individual but since I have so little melanin in my skin and burned before Retina that I had to now be extra careful.

One of my derms said I had Irish skin. I said," but I'm Jewish." He replied, "we all have our cross to bear." I don't see him anymore. I know see a great derm who is a researcher. 

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

My skin did become more sun sensitive. I was using the highest strength of Retina micro. I had already been using a very high sunblock but added hats and large sunglasses.

My derm said it's individual but since I have so little melanin in my skin and burned before Retina that I had to now be extra careful.

One of my derms said I had Irish skin. I said," but I'm Jewish." He replied, "we all have our cross to bear." I don't see him anymore. I know see a great derm who is a researcher. 

@lavendar   Whoa! That was a nasty remark and more than unprofessional. 

Valued Contributor

I’ve used Retin A for about 15 years. I see my derm once a year and get an Rx. I used to have it filled at Costco for $40 - $50 ish. Now I use GoodRx and its about $70 or so. Well worth every cent. It works! I’ll never be without it.
Honored Contributor

There are some overseas  pharmacies where you can buy tretinoin (Retin-A generic) without a Rx. I buy mine from AllDayChemist dot com and it costs about $6 per tube...I know, cheap! No Rx needed.