Respected Contributor

Re: Diana Ross Perfume.....Oh what a mistake!

@spot555 wrote:

@Wsmom wrote:

Wait.  @sonechko, does that mean you're not going to try Madonna's $600 magnetic mask set?   Or her $120 rose mist?  I mean it's Madonna.  If she says it's the fountain of youth, it must be.  lol 

Oh yuk....really? She works for the dark side, so it must be have satans approval. That wicked witch is sick. 

What? 

I mean....what??????

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 ...  Lucky you!  Enjoy the fragrances!

Super Contributor

I too fell for it.  I had no intention of purchasing but the host and Diana stated it was a light scent suitable for every day wear.  WRONG!

Ms. Ross has many many megafans who wrote many of those 5 star reviews even before the product was available.  You can see by the dates of the comments posted that once folks actually received it, they were not pleased.  It smelled like a combo of old lady perfume, grandpa's after shave circa 1965, and a bathroom disinfectant.   I am surprised that a woman of her caiber would be so money hungry that she would get inolved with this.  

Mine was returned to HSN.  YUCK.

Respected Contributor

I can cancel the waitlist smaller pen size.... Thank you for the Heads Up.

Respected Contributor

It gave me a raging headache within 5 minutes.  Smelled like old lady perfume.  Back it went.  Ugh

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't buy a fragrance because some "celebrity" has their name on it.

Fragrance is such a personal choice.  I can't take someone else's opinion on whether I would like it or not.

I have kept hearing "Amazing Grace" is so amazing.  I really disliked the scent!  But I have liked "Pure and Baby Grace."  Not my favorites, but I like them.

My daughter just bought me "Red Delicious" by DKNY.  I have "Be Delicious" and really like it.  I cannot tell her I do not like the other one!  I love "Caribbean Vanilla" by Perlier as a winter fragrance. But it frustrates me with how soon it seems to wear off.  I like "Yellow Diamonds" by Versace and still like "Light Blue" by Dolce and Gabana.

Does anyone remember "Evening in Paris?"  My grandma always wore it!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

During the presentation, I kept getting the impression that what Diana herself wears is very different from what they were selling.  What they were selling was based on her personal fragrance that she wears and I'm guessing it is mostly synthetic alternatives to keep the price point down.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@ChillyTulip wrote:

I too fell for it.  I had no intention of purchasing but the host and Diana stated it was a light scent suitable for every day wear.  WRONG!

Ms. Ross has many many megafans who wrote many of those 5 star reviews even before the product was available.  You can see by the dates of the comments posted that once folks actually received it, they were not pleased.  It smelled like a combo of old lady perfume, grandpa's after shave circa 1965, and a bathroom disinfectant.   I am surprised that a woman of her caiber would be so money hungry that she would get inolved with this.  

Mine was returned to HSN.  YUCK.

HSN doesn't let you review an item unless you have purchased it and owned it for 5 days.  My best guess is that a select group of HSN shoppers were sent the fragrance before it ever aired and were sent the fragrance in exchange for a review on it.

I notice this happens with Diane Gilman jeans.  A group are sent the jeans prior to airing, they all end up leaving a glowing review, and once the jeans air and those reviews start coming in, they aren't always so positive.   

Esteemed Contributor

It's probably been 30 years since I wore fragrance, but I know it is something many woman enjoy using.  When I worked, most everyone wore something that would knock you over at 50 paces.  It was awful.

I began getting migraines at 30, and that was the end of using anything scented.  

Fast forward many years, and I sampled a few Dior fragrances that I used to wear thinking I might buy.  Yikes, they nearly burned the hair out of my nose.

Maybe all the years of going frangrance free changed my perception to any fragrance, but there was just something acrid and overly strong in any scent I sampled.  Like they had added something to give the scent "staying power."

My first beloved scent was L'air du Temps which is now sold everywhere including Walmart.

I've given up finding anything that doesn't make my eyes water Cat Sad

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

If I want a nice perfume, it won't be something a singer puts on the market. 

@makena

Ditto .... I don't understand the concept at all.  Just because some celebrity gets their name attached to a formula and the company peddles it doesn't mean it's something I would put on my body!   I'm fussy about fragrances so I'd never buy something that I hadn't already smelled and "tested" on my skin.