Honored Contributor

Re: Diana Ross Perfume.....Oh what a mistake!

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't try a fragrance for the first time from a shopping channel because I like to smell things first.

However, fragrance is very individual.  I wouldn't discount a fragrance just because it has a celebrity name behind it.  I have smelled what I consider to be some very lovely fragrances by Jennifer Lopez and even Britney Spears. 

As far as this Diana Ross scent, it's $85.00 right now.  There are 102 reviews with an average rating of 3 stars.  There are almost as many 1 star reviews as there are 5 star reviews.     

@Lipstickdiva, it's actually sort of silly. There are professional perfumers. They work for all the big companies (Chanel, Dior, etc.), as well as for celebrities. The celebrity may have some input, but the perfume is created by the professional. And there are some extremely high-quality and highly reviewed celebrity fragrances.

As fo buying blind, I do it often. But I base my purchase on information on fragrantica and other sites and my likes and dislikes.  I have learned the hard way and now have been very successful.

I don't pay retail. I buy my fragrances from fragrancenet. They are by far the most discounted, and I trust them. 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I'm laughing.....I think we've all been there concerning fragrances.

My question is.....

Why do the disgusting, stinky fragrances stick to you like glue, & those we like disappear within a hour?

I've also had the experience of not being able to wash off a stinky scent. Crazy, isn't it? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I also use fragrancenet. I also avoid any celebrity fragrance's  now days

I love the classic scents, and am never disappointed when I buy them

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

@cherry, it's a great site. I just wished that the still had ShopRunner. Oh, well.

I'm pretty much the opposite. I steer clear of what most think of as the classics and prefer lighter fruity/florals and some fruity floral gourmands.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I used to not like florals until I tried Diorissimo and Joy

Valued Contributor

@scruffsmom wrote:

HSN sells that La Vie Est Belle,  I tried it in a store.  On me it was horrible. I accidentally fot some on my coat cuf and I could smell it for days.   I had to wash the coat.  

I had the exact thing happen to me.  I almost ordered La Vie est Belle but went to check it out in person.  It was terrible on me, and I had a headache the rest of the day.  I got some on my watch strap and it stayed on that strap for a week!  I love Coach Poppy Freesia but I can't find it anywhere anymore. 

Trusted Contributor

same here, I did not like La vie este belle either. There are only a few I really enjoy, but the ones I like, i tend to really like. They tend to be tried and true.

Respected Contributor

@gigy Thanks for the review.  The description sounded wonderful, but I've only found a couple fragrances ever that I liked and could wear without getting a headache, so I passed.  So glad I did!

@Katcat1 The Jo Malone Pomegranite fragrances are beautiful... for the first little while....  then, they turn awful on me!  I tested them both a couple months ago, and was certain I would buy one, and then, I couldn't get far enough away from my wrists!

Honored Contributor

@scruffsmom wrote:

HSN sells that La Vie Est Belle,  I tried it in a store.  On me it was horrible. I accidentally fot some on my coat cuf and I could smell it for days.   I had to wash the coat.  

And here is a perfect example of fragrance being so personal.  I love La Vie Est Belle.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@cherry, it's a great site. I just wished that the still had ShopRunner. Oh, well.

I'm pretty much the opposite. I steer clear of what most think of as the classics and prefer lighter fruity/florals and some fruity flora gourmands.

@suzyQ3, I totally agree with your post above.  I would have thought most people knew that these celebrities for the most part have very little to do with the scent outside of smelling something and their name goes on it.  Much like many of the celebrity clothing lines.

I too absolutely love fragrancenet.  The savings are unbelievable.  I have purchased the large sizes of fragrance for less than the smaller 1.7 oz costs in a dept. store.