Esteemed Contributor

Re: Devacurl haircut and products really adding up for me

@Tyak wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

I so hope someone responds to this post.  My hair has gone from straight to curly, but not a nice curl and I straighten it all the time.  I'm very interested in the products you're using.  Do they make your hair curlier?  I don't seem to have enough curl in my hair to wear it curly but it's such a pain to pull that curl/wave out of this thick hair.  I'd love to be able to let it air dry and wear it curly if possible but honestly, the way it ends up when I try it looks like heck.  And what is a devacurl haircut?  I've never heard of it.

look up the Curly Girl Method. Smartest thing I ever did. You can find it on Facebook or just Google it.

I did and you really follow this?  i can't imagine only using shampoo once a week or leaving some conditioner in.  There's just so much in what I read that I'd have to try it when I know I'm not going anywhere that day.  Does anyone have hair that is not uniformly curly or wavy.  Mine is hit and miss, curlier on one side and just a bit wavy on the other and the back is even less curly than the one side.  My hair has always been a pain for me to deal with but now since the curl has sprung up it's even more so for me to fix on a daily basis.  It's a short bob right now.

Of course! More curly here, more wavy there, areas with a wiry kink or two (hundred) scattered about.

Thick & tangled at the back and standing straight out before curling upward at the temples.

Sure. Have to learn to harness and direct all that natural texture so it works for you, and becomes gorgeous.

I use some of the curly girl techniques,  modified to suit me, using WEN products which give me great results.

I don't just follow the whole curly girl thing "as is".

And, every time you straighten it with heat & tension, you damage your curl pattern. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover my hair was always wavy, but at 50 i frizzy, spiral, curls.  my hair used to be thick, but it is thinning  and the curl is now assorted.  frizzy in spots, beach curl in one spot, and then basically ringlets. 

i have used deva products for years the light gel was something I never did  without. i used to be able to  wet spray hair inbetween washes and it snapped back into curl.  not anymore.  they changed their product 2 years ago.  it no longer gives you soft crisp curls that fluffed out  in perfect curls...and spayed back in.  please forget about the ultra gel. omg, it gives me a grease ball head.  it is the wet head, but look greasy and feels awful. it also does not work like it used too.

i am not the only one.  i noticed in reviews people complaining the hair dirties faster, it is sticky if wet down ,and the curls do not snap back when water sprayed. they just mat and hair becomes frizzy  and dry.  

i agree.  change your procuct.  i never cared for the no poo, I always used wen, then deva curl conditioner.  i washed it out.  then used the light gel.  now  I use wen, deva conditioner and AG recoil

Valued Contributor

I have no idea what Devacurl is but I can identify with what your hair is like. I have always had curly/frizzy hair that is difficult to style especially in hot, humid weather.

We moved to Florida 7 yrs ago and it was a nightmare. This is what worked for me after trying all sorts of things.

I let my hair grow to my shoulders. I found I could deal with the frizz better with it longer as it does add weight. My hair is very fine.

I tried Wen for years and it just weighed it down and didn't work for me. I've tried numerous beauty products and cuts but still it would turn into a bush in humid weather.

I discovered, by accident, a leave in conditioner which works so well without weighing my hair down.

Its called Giovanni 2-chic Ultra Volume Leave in conditioning Elixir. I like the Tangerine & Papaya Butter.

I found it in Whole Foods. I use their shampoo and wash-out condtioner then add the leave in after washing my hair.

I let my hair grow to my shoulders, get it trimmed and colored every 6 weeks and even my hairdresser was shocked at how good my hair looked. She always cut it over the years but I didn't see her for 6 months and let it grow out and she was amazed how great it looked and how young it made me look.

I love Giovanni products. Never heard of them before. A few years ago I was in TJMax and decided to find a body wash and picked up their body was. I loved it, my husband loved it and tried to buy it in other stores. No one heard of it.

I looked them up online and found them and called. They told me they sell a few of their products in Whole Foods.

Give their leave-in conditioner a try. I think you'll be as amazed as I am. Even if you keep it short, I think you'll love what it does.