Trusted Contributor

Devacurl haircut and products really adding up for me

I have been using devacurl products and had my first deva curl haircut ($86 a pop) one year ago.  

While I like the products they are really expensive and I am spending well over $1,000 a year on the devacurl cuts and products.

I feel it is too much and wonder if I should continue. Maybe I should just get a shoulder length blunt cut and use regular shampoo an condition and just have a less curly style. I am just wondering how much money should I spend on my hair? Anyone who has used the devacurl method care to comment?

Honored Contributor

Re: Devacurl haircut and products really adding up for me

@Squirrel Lover 

Feel your pain. Think we easily fall for gimmicks. Not only hair care, skin care and endless need for more stuff. Decided not buy into hype. Everyone has different opinions and solutions. In the end, what works best for each person. 

Respected Contributor

I have never had a Deva cut, I have always used my long-time hairdresser. But I also spend almost as much for a haircut.

As far as hair products are concerned,  Google the curly girl method, and on look Facebook also, they are a great organization with a ton of information and recommendations for very very cheap products that are easy to buy everywhere.

One of the first things I learned was expensive hair products don’t necessarily work any better, the important thing is to find out what works best for Your hair.  I tried for years to get WEN products to work, my hair always looked frazzled and I finally gave up.

I use Shea Moisture Manuka Honey conditioner only, and Cantu curl activator cream.  That’s it, I decided early on to start with one product first, just the conditioner. I quickly realized I needed a curl activator. I have tried different products like gels, but I really wanted to keep it simple so I have gone back to my original products. All my products are curly girl approved, sulfate free and silicones free. 

The bottom line is by using this method, my hair has never looked better, in fact my long-term hairdresser keeps asking me to tell her specifically what I am doing, it is that dramatic. So don’t go back to using regular shampoo, and spending time straightening your hair.

Respected Contributor

I so hope someone responds to this post.  My hair has gone from straight to curly, but not a nice curl and I straighten it all the time.  I'm very interested in the products you're using.  Do they make your hair curlier?  I don't seem to have enough curl in my hair to wear it curly but it's such a pain to pull that curl/wave out of this thick hair.  I'd love to be able to let it air dry and wear it curly if possible but honestly, the way it ends up when I try it looks like heck.  And what is a devacurl haircut?  I've never heard of it.

Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover 

Stick with the Deva cut. Your hair is unique and will never behave with a blunt cut. (I know.)

However, you can probably cut down on the # of Deva Products.

The shampoo and conditioners are NOT more expensive than any good cleanser.

However, you probably do not need all the styling products. This is true with ANY line. (Even WEN started with just two things, now has dozens.)

Cut back on what isn't needed (or could be substituted) and adore your curls.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would not get a blunt cut.  If your hair is curly, you probably need a cut for curly hair.  Any good hair dresser should be able to do that.  I've been going to my gal for about 6 years.  Early on, if I'd go to her with my hair blown out, she'd give me a cut for straight hair.... still layered, but different than for curly hair.  Even when I blow my hair out, it curls up during the day, and a lot on day 2, so I have to have a cut for curly hair.  But, it doesn't have to be at an expensive place.

Next, read up on products and ingredients, and start experimenting to find out what works for your hair.   It can be frustrating, but it's necessary.  I agree about looking into the curly girl method for ideas and methods, but then you'll have to figure out what works for your hair.

I've tried mostly expensive shampoos and conditioners, but found that Hask Argon products work well for me, and they are CHEAP!  Still need to find a gel to try to hold my curls better during the day.  It takes a lot of trial and error.  But, back to my original point, I wouldn't go back to a blunt cut with my curls.  It just doesn't work.  

Good luck!

ETA... whatever you try, stay away from sulfates!

Respected Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

I so hope someone responds to this post.  My hair has gone from straight to curly, but not a nice curl and I straighten it all the time.  I'm very interested in the products you're using.  Do they make your hair curlier?  I don't seem to have enough curl in my hair to wear it curly but it's such a pain to pull that curl/wave out of this thick hair.  I'd love to be able to let it air dry and wear it curly if possible but honestly, the way it ends up when I try it looks like heck.  And what is a devacurl haircut?  I've never heard of it.

look up the Curly Girl Method. Smartest thing I ever did. You can find it on Facebook or just Google it.

Regular Contributor

I use some Deva products. I love the Angel Gel. I also use the "curly girl method." I did have a Deva cut. Wasn't that great. My Daughter is a Cosmetologist, and she just cuts my hair dry, and does a fantastic job.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

look up the Curly Girl Method. Smartest thing I ever did. You can find it on Facebook or just Google it.

I did and you really follow this?  i can't imagine only using shampoo once a week or leaving some conditioner in.  There's just so much in what I read that I'd have to try it when I know I'm not going anywhere that day.  Does anyone have hair that is not uniformly curly or wavy.  Mine is hit and miss, curlier on one side and just a bit wavy on the other and the back is even less curly than the one side.  My hair has always been a pain for me to deal with but now since the curl has sprung up it's even more so for me to fix on a daily basis.  It's a short bob right now.

Respected Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

I did and you really follow this?  i can't imagine only using shampoo once a week or leaving some conditioner in.  There's just so much in what I read that I'd have to try it when I know I'm not going anywhere that day.  Does anyone have hair that is not uniformly curly or wavy.  Mine is hit and miss, curlier on one side and just a bit wavy on the other and the back is even less curly than the one side.  My hair has always been a pain for me to deal with but now since the curl has sprung up it's even more so for me to fix on a daily basis.  It's a short bob right now.

@Tyak  I was born with stick straight hair that suddenly became wavy a few years ago. You need to figure out what works for you and your hair. I use a sulfate free shampoo. My scalp is way too oily to not wash it for a week or to use conditioner as a cleanser so I wash my hair every other day. I wash all of my conditioner out and use a leave-in conditioner instead if I feel like my hair needs it.

If your hair is only just starting to get wavy you'll have plenty of bad hair days before it starts to look half decent. I use a curl cream and a hard hold gel that I can then scrunch out. Otherwise my waves fall out. It definitely takes some experimenting and while you can read what others do online or watch videos on YouTube you need to figure out what your hair likes. You don't need to go out and spend a fortune on expensive products, though.