Honored Contributor

Dermstore disappointing experience with their free returns if you choose store credit

[ Edited ]

So I returned an item to dermstore several months ago and opted for the store credit since it is free returns if you do that.

Well, they send you a virtual gift card. I will tell you, I've had nothing but issues with that thing! I used some awhile ago and had balance left over. When my order did not arrive in 1-3 days as they promise and no updated on shipping, I contacted them and they told me my order was cancelled because I didn't provide a credit card but then they saw that my gift card covered all the balance and the order DID go through (I had a confirmation email proving this) so they reordered it. They said it was a glitch due to using the gift card.

I had some left over on the gift card  so recently I went to use the remainder of the balance and the gift card wasn't working so I had to call them. After a few different phone calls, they finally were able to reset it.

So I placed my order of an instock item using up the rest of the card. After 3 days of my item not shipping (dermstore is 1-3 days total shipping), I checked my account and now it said the item was oos and they didn't know when it would be back in stock so I cancelled the order (I need the item soon and can get it elsewhere).  Apparently dermstore does not indicate on their website when something is OOS until AFTER you order because the items still said in stock even though I know it wasn't.

So fast forward to today when I realized I needed another PC product I was running out of and since they had the 30% off sale, I ordered it. And, you guessed it, the gift card isn't working...again. So I have made several phone calls back and forth with CS this morning who has supposedly reset the gift card several times but each time they do, it still is not working. Now I am waiting for yet another "reset" and see if it works this time. 6th times the charm?

Anyway, my point being is the supposedly free returns if you get store credit may not be so worth it if it is a hassle every time you don't use the credit up in one order!

Anyone else have so many issues with gift cards from there? What a terrible system!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dermstore disappointing experience with their free returns if you choose store credit

After that story.....I would not opt in for the gift card....just pay to return items?

Honored Contributor

Re: Dermstore disappointing experience with their free returns if you choose store credit

@June222 wrote:

After that story.....I would not opt in for the gift card....just pay to return items?

I completely agree. Either that or only order things I know I already like and use. Lesson learned.

Honored Contributor

@June222I've never ordered from them - and now I'm very likely never going to.  I hate that kind of hassle.  It's not worth it to avoid a bit of shipping unless you're a frequent repeat customer.  

Until I can no longer drive, I will be at one of my local drugstores.  They offer coupons constantly and are right near home.

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

So I returned an item to dermstore several months ago and opted for the store credit since it is free returns if you do that.

Well, they send you a virtual gift card. I will tell you, I've had nothing but issues with that thing! I used some awhile ago and had balance left over. When my order did not arrive in 1-3 days as they promise and no updated on shipping, I contacted them and they told me my order was cancelled because I didn't provide a credit card but then they saw that my gift card covered all the balance and the order DID go through (I had a confirmation email proving this) so they reordered it. They said it was a glitch due to using the gift card.

I had some left over on the gift card  so recently I went to use the remainder of the balance and the gift card wasn't working so I had to call them. After a few different phone calls, they finally were able to reset it.

So I placed my order of an instock item using up the rest of the card. After 3 days of my item not shipping (dermstore is 1-3 days total shipping), I checked my account and now it said the item was oos and they didn't know when it would be back in stock so I cancelled the order (I need the item soon and can get it elsewhere).  Apparently dermstore does not indicate on their website when something is OOS until AFTER you order because the items still said in stock even though I know it wasn't.

So fast forward to today when I realized I needed another PC product I was running out of and since they had the 30% off sale, I ordered it. And, you guessed it, the gift card isn't working...again. So I have made several phone calls back and forth with CS this morning who has supposedly reset the gift card several times but each time they do, it still is not working. Now I am waiting for yet another "reset" and see if it works this time. 6th times the charm?

Anyway, my point being is the supposedly free returns if you get store credit may not be so worth it if it is a hassle every time you don't use the credit up in one order!

Anyone else have so many issues with gift cards from there? What a terrible system!

@HappyDaze Good to know about their poor service and probs, sorry you had happen with your order...I had these things happen before with other places like clothing stores.

When I order my skincare online like repeat products bought, it may not be so bad, but when trying something new there's a possiblity I may return it, so I will keep this in mind at Dermstore. I just bought a few things with that sale going on (I have bought them many times b4) so no problem. I have to say I had one heck of a time signing in after not buying anything for a while there I suppose and it was near impossible! took so many attempts..nearly gave up.. since it's early AM when I get online many times so didn't think of calling CS at that hour..was not sure if they had CS at such odd hours anyway.

Finally it worked.

SkincareRX has been good for me. I was thrilled with my SkinMedica sale of 28% off! woohooo

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

@HappyDaze Good to know about their poor service and probs, sorry you had happen with your order...I had these things happen before with other places like clothing stores.

When I order my skincare online like repeat products bought, it may not be so bad, but when trying something new there's a possiblity I may return it, so I will keep this in mind at Dermstore. I just bought a few things with that sale going on (I have bought them many times b4) so no problem. I have to say I had one heck of a time signing in after not buying anything for a while there I suppose and it was near impossible! took so many attempts..nearly gave up.. since it's early AM when I get online many times so didn't think of calling CS at that hour..was not sure if they had CS at such odd hours anyway.

Finally it worked.

SkincareRX has been good for me. I was thrilled with my SkinMedica sale of 28% off! woohooo

@mimi5775 I've been shopping with dermstore for several years now (close to 10 I think by now!) and haven't really had too many issues with them but before they use to offer free returns period, not just if you choose store credit. I usually only order tried and true items from them- like my Paula's choice stuff- and I think I've only ever returned one other thing in all those years so this was the first time I've ordered with that new policy.  The CS was nice enough, they just kept giving me the wrong information each time I called, like no one knew what was going on there and then it is just odd that their system doesn't automatically put the money back on the card if you cancel an item. Anyway, I'd definitely recommend sticking to tried and true only with them or pay for the return. Otherwise, it can become too much of a hassle. I am certainly never giving anyoe a gift card from there for a present! Smiley Happy

Anyway, glad you got your items for 28% off at skincarerx. I used to shop from them from time to time. These days always forget about that site though, not sure why??

Super Contributor

I've found, unfortunately, since Target purchased Dermstore it isn't the same level of service. 

Respected Contributor

I placed an order for a paulas choice product on Tuesday. I just got an email the item was back ordered. I'm almost out. Had I known at the time of ordering that it's out of stock, I would have gotten it from some place else.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
I placed an order for a paulas choice product on Tuesday. I just got an email the item was back ordered. I'm almost out. Had I known at the time of ordering that it's out of stock, I would have gotten it from some place else.

Yeah that is pretty shady that they are doing that now- not telling you it is OOS at the time you order. They never used to do that.

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@mimi5775 wrote:

When I order my skincare online like repeat products bought, it may not be so bad, but when trying something new there's a possibility I may return it, so I will keep this in mind at Dermstore. I just bought a few things with that sale going on (I have bought them many times b4) so no problem. I have to say I had one heck of a time signing in after not buying anything for a while there I suppose and it was near impossible! took so many attempts..nearly gave up.. since it's early AM when I get online many times so didn't think of calling CS at that hour..was not sure if they had CS at such odd hours anyway.

Finally it worked.

@mimi5775 I've been shopping with dermstore for several years now (close to 10 I think by now!) and haven't really had too many issues with them but before they use to offer free returns period, not just if you choose store credit. I usually only order tried and true items from them- like my Paula's choice stuff- and I think I've only ever returned one other thing in all those years so this was the first time I've ordered with that new policy.  The CS was nice enough, they just kept giving me the wrong information each time I called, like no one knew what was going on there and then it is just odd that their system doesn't automatically put the money back on the card if you cancel an item. Anyway, I'd definitely recommend sticking to tried and true only with them or pay for the return. Otherwise, it can become too much of a hassle. I am certainly never giving anyoe a gift card from there for a present! Smiley Happy

Anyway, glad you got your items for 28% off at skincarerx. I used to shop from them from time to time. These days always forget about that site though, not sure why??

@HappyDaze I have realized over the past 15 years or more WORSE now that many companies and institutions as well do not communicate well, this is all about carrying through what they are supposed to do.

So it's all over...lack of communication. I take store credit all the time online like at my skin care stores since I will need something inevitably! yeah...SkicareRX saved me a lot the past few weeks Smiley Wink

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky