Regular Contributor

Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon

What I think is a freckle on my hand has changed over the past few years and more so recently. The dermatologist told me about a year ago that he's going to remove it if it changes more, so I think he's probably going to want to remove it. He said he'd have to take the whole thing, not just a tiny sample of it. I really don't want a big hole or scar on my hand if I can help it. Would you go to a plastic surgeon for that or just have the dermatologist do it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon

[ Edited ]

I would ask the dermatologist that question as to how deep he will go to remove it & ask if a plastic surgeon is needed.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Either way is okay.  My insurance covers both types of providers.  You might want to see if yours does too.

I have a plastic surgeon remove Pilar cysts from my head because he doesn't shave my head first.  The Dermo left quarter size bald spots when he removed some.

Honored Contributor

Just a guess but the derm will remove the dark spot and then maybe refer you to a PS if the removal leaves an unsightly scar or depression. 

Honored Contributor

Dermatologist first, for removal and diagnosis, then a plastic surgeon if needed.

I had one also on the back of my hand that when removed and biopsied came back basal cell, but my Derm had removed all of it.

I expected it to scar badly since it was deep, but you can't even tell I had anything removed and no plastic surgery was needed.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I think you should have that conversation with dermatologist.  He or she is the expert.  It depends on your lesion, the size the depth.  He'll tell you if there will be a scar.  If there is, that's when you can ask to see a Plastic surgeon.  The procedure you are having is an excisional biopsy.    

Esteemed Contributor

I would go to a different dermatologist and get another opinion. Look for someone who does Mohs (spelling?) surgery. That is suppose to be less invasive, anyway that's what was told to me.

Respected Contributor

I go to dermatologists at Mayo Clinic.   During an exam for another issue, they spotted a suspicious mark on my back.  They removed it and turned out it was basil cell cancer.  After several weeks it started bothering me, and looked very red.  So Mayo dermatology checked it again.  Which was cancer free, however,  I built excess scar tissue on the area, which stings, and itches.  So they inject the scar with a solution to help break it down, and I apply a silicone type serum also.  If it leaves a deep poc, or as you describe a hole, they have a certain type of filler to bring it back up(not the facial type filler).

Just to mention,  my daughter had a scar from chicken pox on her chest, that left a deep poc...we had it filled and you would never know.  I'm sorry I dont know what they use, but that definitely helps with deep marks.  

Maybe just ask your dermatologist ahead.

Honored Contributor

@Violet Fields   Write down all your questions and take to your Dermatologist.  Once removed, your Dermatologist will have it tested to make sure everything is okay.  I doubt very much that a Plastic Surgeon would operate on something that small.  It really is a Derm's responsibility. Doctors will always make the smallest incision possible and you won't even see the scar once it all heals.  Good luck to you.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

Thanks evIerybody for all the good suggestions! My skin is so fair and it scars easily, so I can't really hope for it not to show after it's healed. The appointment is this week, so I'll make sure to ask him how deep the hole would be and will ask if a plastic surgeon would be needed. He has removed one mole on my arm before and it left a big pale area that's depressed. Maybe that filler would be a good idea if I need it.