Super Contributor

Dermaroller users. See any improvement???????????

Just thought I'd check in and see how you're doing with your dermaroller. I do mine 2x monthly and use 2 different sizes. I'm 72 and want to preserve what I got as long as I can. I've been dermarolling for about 3 years and my skin looks good. Nothing magical or dramatic. Just good looking skin.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

Re: Dermaroller users. See any improvement???????????

Is anyone dermarolling?????

Super Contributor

Per Dr. Setterfield's guidelines, I use the 0.05 once per month. He said that size is optimal for anti-aging purposes, longer needles don't deliver as good results, and if you roll more than once monthly you're interrupting the collagen rebuilding process.

I've been following this protocol (except for a two week hiatus when I was using the Tria Anti Aging Laser) for about 4 months, and I'm beginning to see some improvement. Like you, nothing dramatic, but it takes time. My best friend has been following this protocol for about 6 months, and he mentioned the other day he just looks GOOD, can't put his finger on it, attributes to the dermaroller.

Respected Contributor

Yes, but I took a very, very long break due to absolutely no time at all. I've been managing a very large swim team since May 1 and was lucky to get to bed with a clean face. I began seeing an improvement in texture but not significant reduction in fine lines. May be that I stopped for so long but I do want to start again. I
Trusted Contributor

I still haven't started because I read recently that many derms prefer you to be retinol or RA free for at least 3 weeks prior to commencing and I want to finish my first round with Kate Somerville's Retasphere. I checked with my own dermatologist and he felt strongly about that too. Once Retasphere is done, I'll break from all retinol use and start rolling for a bit. I only have a .5 now so it will be once a month. I hope to pick up a .2 or .3 to use a few times weekly too.

I will admit that the picture lyninMI posted certainly motivates me because that patient had the exact same issue I have on my left cheek (a section of lax skin) and in her after, it was no longer visible at all. It was completely smooth where she once had her lax skin. I believe the time frame was 18 months which might sound like an eternity but really isn't when you think about it. Plus I have to think there were gradual improvements along the way and I'll take those too.

I love hearing about everyone's progress though. It just makes sense, to me anyway, that rolling over time could have a very positive impact on our skin. It's just not an overnight fix but then what is, other than professional intervention that is.

Valued Contributor

Timely thread, I am doing my .05 monthly dermarolling today. Then I have a smaller dermaroller that I use 2x per week. Like Maren, I am also following the Setterfield protocol. I do like it and will continue with it.

I feel with all that I do I'm in it for the long haul. By the way little miss sunshine, it is women like you that give me hope. I am in my fifties and I don't ever want to give up on myself. It's so nice to see women in their seventies doing the same. I will always want to look good. You inspire me.

Trusted Contributor

Started the .05 in January once a month. Just did it yesterday. Also have the smaller one I use when I remember which is not enough. I noticed yesterday or the day before that my face seemed to be looking better but wasn't sure if it is just my imagination. I use and have used for almost two years the NuFace and Lightstim almost daily which have given me very positive results. Hadn't thought that the derma roller might be taking it a notch already but maybe. I'm 69 and more jowly than wrinkly. I apply green tea serum before rolling (also before the Lightstim) and then after rolling apply the White Lotus serum. I'm not younger looking but not bad for my age if I say so myself. Also noticed the other day that I'm using a lot less on my skin than I had been. Basically just vitamin C, sometimes NCN's DNA serum, matrixyl and then the green tea serum. Just got a compliment on my skin the other day. Always surprises me as I was not blessed with good skin but it sure looks pretty good now for an old broad.
Super Contributor

I meant to say I took a two MONTH hiatus -- not two week.

I also want to add that once Bella Carro and Lyn in MI shared their findings from Dr. Setterfield's book and I switched to the once monthly treatment (and from the 1.0 to the 0.5) it was the EASIEST treatment ever! Just once a month!!! Not weekly, bi-weekly, whatever. Couldn't be simpler!! And other than replacing the rollers every few months, no ongoing costs.

I believe a picture that BC or Lyn posted showed a patient from Dr. Setterfield after 9 months, and I think he was doing it less frequently than 1 x month if I recall correctly. So it does take time.

New Contributor

Wouldn't this be miraculous if something so no frills and basic made all the difference??!!

Just was thinking about trying this on my hands to thicken up the skin to hide the new veins showing through. It was suggested on Youtube.

Where did you ladies find Dr. Setterfields protocol and where is the best place and type of dermaroller to buy?

Valued Contributor

On 7/1/2014 the dolce vita said:

Wouldn't this be miraculous if something so no frills and basic made all the difference??!!

Just was thinking about trying this on my hands to thicken up the skin to hide the new veins showing through. It was suggested on Youtube.

Where did you ladies find Dr. Setterfields protocol and where is the best place and type of dermaroller to buy?

I always roll my hands and neck. Whatever treatment I do to my face I always apply to my hands and neck. That includes retinol, vitamin c serum, and the lightstim. I purchased my first roller from owndoc dot com, then I purchased an MT roller from Hautelook when they had a sale, and the latest smaller roller (also an MT), from Amazon.