Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Derma Rolling - where have I been?

I have read threads back from Jan. I watched a video (Lotus). This video says not to use Vit.A, which I use nightly. But some people post they use it. Is the purpose to build collagen or to deepen the absorbstion. How long does the absorbtion rate last if we arent suppose to use anything for 24 hrs. I am confused of the purpose?
Trusted Contributor

Re: Derma Rolling - where have I been?

springers - if you are using a cosmetic roller (0.2 mm for sensitive skins and 0.3 mm for normal skin), the use of these will help your skincare products penetrate more deeply. When you are using a medical length roller (0.5 mm or longer), there is a different protocol for aftercare.

eta: Cosmetic length needles increase product absorption, whereas a 0.5 mm (and longer) medical length is used for CIT (collagen induction therapy).
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Trusted Contributor

There is a lot of info about derma rolling on the internet and it isn't something that I would do. If you research just make sure you aren't looking at a site that is really an advertisement for the product. According to a few things I read there can be issues with infection since you are literally punching tiny holes in the skin, but I also found the following. I don't know how true it is, but it seems to make a lot of sense:

"Gaining the benefit of toners, moisturizers or serums with anti-aging ingredients is not about maximum penetration. Most ingredients like antioxidants, cell-communicating and skin-identical ingredients need to stay on the skin’s surface and within its uppermost layers to provide any benefit (including defense against free-radical damage.) Then there's the potential risk of getting unwanted ingredients (like preservatives or problematic plant extracts) deeper into the skin, where their negative effects may be worse. Even beneficial ingredients like vitamin C or retinol can be more sensitizing if they penetrate deeper (i.e. when applied over broken skin), rather than being regulated to do their work in the uppermost layers of skin."

Trusted Contributor

Scotnovel - I agree wholeheartedly with you that no one should add dermal needling to their skin care regimen without first thoroughly researching it. That is one of the reasons I purchased Dr. Setterfield's book on the subject after I read everything I could seek out on the subject in cyberspace (due to my over-cautious nature about certain subjects). You bring up an excellent point about the fact that certain ingredients can be detrimental when combined with needling.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Trusted Contributor

Thanks Lyn, I guess the video was touting the benefits if .05 for CIT, so one is for absorbtion (daily) and the other for CIT (weekly or monthly). I have a lot more reading Scotnovel before I use this. I was unsure about Retin A with the tingling and peeling and that was with my. Drs. encouragement. I also use the LStim nightly. I appreciate the info. I recv here.
Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 lyn in MI said: Scotnovel - I agree wholeheartedly with you that no one should add dermal needling to their skin care regimen without first thoroughly researching it. That is one of the reasons I purchased Dr. Setterfield's book on the subject after I read everything I could seek out on the subject in cyberspace (due to my over-cautious nature about certain subjects). You bring up an excellent point about the fact that certain ingredients can be detrimental when combined with needling.

ITA Lyn. There are many things I would never, ever consider/attempt unless a tremendous amount of personal research, information was gathered prior. You need to know, understand fully what you are doing. It is so scary people just start using something, misuse something that could hurt, harm as are anxious to see "results" ASAP. Or have totally unrealistic expectations. And on top of it, using product combined that may harm one's skin. Skincare is for the long haul, not a quick "result". If a dramtic, quick result in this area is wanted, professional intervention is warranted.