Honored Contributor

I use Aquaphor on my lips - which is 41% vaseline (petrolatum).  It's a cure for dry lips.  

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

My dermatologist prescribed medication for my eczema and then instructed me on how to seal it in with Vaseline. A very specific, small but adequate amount must be used. It is versatile stuff.

@On It   @lavendar 

Okay, first I want to be clear .... I never used Vaseline for anything, but because I didn't like the consistency ...  greasy ointment type products aren't my thing. 

The smell was weird, too, IMO.

Secondly ..... isn't Vaseline a dereivative of PETROLEUM?    Why would I want a motor oil ingredient on my face ... or anywhere else on me, for that matter?  

Honored Contributor

@RooRoo wrote:

I believe it!  The dermatologists I've seen through the years LOVE petro-lah-tum as they say. I try to keep it simple with my skincare, trying to maintain & repair my skin barrier. I do use Vaseline on my elbows on occasion.  One told me the only good thing about Neosporin was that Vaseline was it's carrier.  I was surprised by that & never forgot it. 

@RooRoo 

Sorry .... what does that mean?   

It's carrier?   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@RooRoo wrote:

I believe it!  The dermatologists I've seen through the years LOVE petro-lah-tum as they say. I try to keep it simple with my skincare, trying to maintain & repair my skin barrier. I do use Vaseline on my elbows on occasion.  One told me the only good thing about Neosporin was that Vaseline was it's carrier.  I was surprised by that & never forgot it. 

@RooRoo 

Sorry .... what does that mean?   

It's carrier?   

@Tinkrbl44  Active ingredients may be too strong on their own and/or they could evaporate too quickly before penetrating the skin, so they get mixed in with certain skin friendly oils or cream bases to dilute the concentration, to help them spread more easily, and stay on the skin long enough to penetrate and absorb properly.

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Well, I tried it.  I got myself in a little trouble over exfoliating. Last night I did my usual PM routine but at bedtime, after applying my Tretinoin, I applied a small amount of Vaseline. This morning, my face was soothed and recovered.  

I'm glad that your face is feeling better. Smiley Happy

I've mentioned this before in other threads that Vaseline is used in Wound Care.

The nurses would use it on the wounded areas of my legs.

Trusted Contributor
Doesn’t Vaseline clog your pores?
Respected Contributor

I don't know. To be honest, I asked her what she used. She did say there were other options for me to try. I asked her about Aveeno, etc. I have no facial problems but do have ulra sensitive skin.

Her skin is so gorgeous I don't think it would matter what she used. My grandmother had skin like that and all she did was wash her face with Kosher soap. Turned out that was good to use because it was mainly glycerin. Years before Neutragena came out.