Trusted Contributor

DH has had lots of skin issues since having radiation....his derm said use Vaseline only in tiny amounts and not to spread over large areas of face; it not only "seals" in skincare products, but it does not allow the skin to breathe and can cause clogged pores and milia. 

Honored Contributor

@lavendar 

My mother and to this day my sister uses Vaseline also.  I must say my sisters skin is flawless - no wrinkles, no clogged pores,etc.

In fact, she also uses Ponds unscented cream to remove her make-up then vaseline (very lightly) as her night cream.  To the day my mother passed she had flawless skin.

Me yuck!  I've used every brand from high end to drugstore☹️.  I went to dermatologist as I have now horrible millia (clogged pores) so much for Beekman, my skincare use now.  He told me to stop, use a gentle cleanser and now a good deep cleaning facial.  The millia needs to be removed by esthetician and costly. 🤦‍♀️

I guess your dermatologist is right.  I don't know what sun protection my sister uses as she never purposely tans (like me another bad thing-Although I do use Nutrogeona spf sunscreen).

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Sorry to hear your spouse is ill.  My spouse has developed terrible leakage and lesions from high doses of steroids & prednisone.  

He picks at them -- his pulmonary doctor also told him to use nothing but vaseline.  He also had skin cancer and this was recommended, also.

Prayers for you and your spouse for good days ahead🙏🏻🙂

homedecor1

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

Thank you so much, you're so sweet!Heart

I hope your DH improves with those lesions, too!

Wishing a safe, healthy Happy Holidays to you and yours!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I use vaseline plus an Aveeno product that has petrolatum in it on my face all the time.

I have very sensitive skin.  I have used Vaseline for years on my face, arms legs.  My dermatologist suggested aquaphor too which I use on my skin now.  I also have used eucerine.  I have very dry skin and these products are great for me.  If I wear any makeup it is bare minerals.  The only scented lotion I use on my arms and legs is philosphy products.   I love amazing grace and summer grace.  Anything else I use is unscented.  I think vaseline is greatSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

VERY interesting thread!

I'm Irish with Caper white skin, but dark hair and hazel eyes; I do not tan but turn pink in the sun. My husband is of Nordic descent and so our children have white/blond hair with electric blue eyes and pale skin; however....he and they tan a gorgeous bronze almost instantly.  Still, a BAD burn has happened to me and to them in the past. We also have a family history of eczema and one child has had it horribly since shortly after birth; that has been a nightmare for him.

I tell you this because NEVER has vaseline been suggested EXCEPT for when I would get ink; it's slathered over the ink to protect the skin as it heals and as it flakes. Makes perfect sense for that and for those who had it suggested to them. Crisco is what we've been told to use especially on severe sunburn (and hospitals use it in burn units). Apply it and when the shine is gone, apply again. Continue to do this until the sheen/shine stays and then apply until skin is healed. 

Eczema, however, we've told is NOT a candidate for either product. We used Rx's for years, had serious issues with skin due to them and found out (by accident) that La Mer is AMAZING on eczema; that's what he uses should a rash occur. Beyond that, he keeps the usual areas hydrated with La Mer and no eczema.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Derm uses vaseline

[ Edited ]

This is getting more intriguing all the time!

I've been inspired somewhat....not just with @lavendar 's post, but because I had some irritation (not facial) that compelled me to use Vaseline!

As I was searching around... I found this:

When researchers looked into the microbial activity of petroleum jelly, they found that the substance increases the regulation of peptides on your skin’s surface. Peptides happen to be a popular ingredient in some of the more popular and proven beauty creams and firming products.  (Healthline)

Sooooo....I did apply a thin layer over my face & neck over my regular nightly routine the last 2 nights. I think I'll continue this over our cold winter months, and see what effects I'll get!

Healtline: Vaseline itself won’t shrink your pores or treat wrinkles, but keeping your skin moisturized is an essential preventative measure to slow the signs of aging on your skin.

Another drawback is that Vaseline by itself doesn’t actually hydrate your skin.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom What a difficult time. Your husband is lucky he has you, but caretaking is so hard.

For anyone who has ecsema or any other skin problem I'm sure my derm would have a special treatment. She's at Mass General Hospital in Boston; they have an excellent skin dept. and she's an M.D. Ph.D.

I really love her: she told me to eat meat once a week. My cholesterol is low but I have Crohn's disease and have been anemic in past. But the best thing she did was get my insurance to cover Retina micro (the generic.) Last year even with GoodRX it was one hundred twenty five. This year 3.50.

Honored Contributor

Re: Derm uses vaseline

[ Edited ]

Well, I tried it.  I got myself in a little trouble over exfoliating. Last night I did my usual PM routine but at bedtime, after applying my Tretinoin, I applied a small amount of Vaseline. This morning, my face was soothed and recovered.  

ETA - I can see using the Vaseline on a limited basis, for healing, but I question long term nightly use, if there's a chance or likelihood that it can cause clogged pores or other issues that could come up

Honored Contributor

@lavendar   Your doctor is a smart lady.  Vaseline has been around a long, long time.  It is excellent to apply under the eyes to keep the skin taut. Great for chapped lips and I have heard about a few women that use it at bedtime on their face.  It does have many uses.

kindness is strength