Respected Contributor

Saw my derm today. She's not any derm; you need a special referral to see her. She's a researcher M.D.,Ph.d and one of the smartest doctors I've seen. I have seven now.

I have an autoimmune disease that causes itching. She knows more about my illness (Sjogren's syndrome) than most of my doctors. I also have Crohn's disease that can affect the skin.

I asked her about facial creams. She uses vaseline at night and sunscreen during the day. She said that the creams today have too many ingredients and she is sent many patients who have serious problems from them.

She has gorgeous skin which she said is mainly genetic but she says she wants to maintain the microbeim (natural mantel)

She said if I want something with a sunscreen try Aveeno but make sure I can return it. Also Neutragena. She used to recommend Cetaphil but it is now loaded. I suspect my problem is hylaronic acid which is now in everything.

She has had grants from cosmetic companies: e.g. La Roche Posay. I use their cleanser but reacted to their  moisturizer.

There was a story about Doris Day. She coated herself with vasaline, wrapped herself in cellephane and sat in a hot tub.

Respected Contributor

My dermatologist prescribed medication for my eczema and then instructed me on how to seal it in with Vaseline. A very specific, small but adequate amount must be used. It is versatile stuff.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar    I've twice had Mohs facial surgery for malignant growths and was told by both doctors to use Vaseline afterwards to promote healing. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I believe it!  The dermatologists I've seen through the years LOVE petro-lah-tum as they say. I try to keep it simple with my skincare, trying to maintain & repair my skin barrier. I do use Vaseline on my elbows on occasion.  One told me the only good thing about Neosporin was that Vaseline was it's carrier.  I was surprised by that & never forgot it. 

Respected Contributor

Redundant, I know, but I'll chime in and say that my female derm also uses vaseline, recommended it when I had a basal cell cancer removed, said no to neosporin, just use vaseline. 

Her skin was stunningly beautiful! I have very fair very sensitive skin and tend to agree that excessive products and ingredients may cause more harm than good.  I keep it very simple myself.

Honored Contributor

Just be sure not to get Vaseline in your hair.  It is  almost impossible to remove.  You will need to use a heavy duty degreaser to get it out.

I found out when I was a teenager.  I gooped it all over my long hair as a conditioner. Shampoo would lather right over it, but the Vaseline didn't budge. 

I finally got it out with Janitor in a Drum...remember that heavy duty cleaner? 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I've always read that skincare doesn't need more than, and shouldn't have, more than 10 ingredients.  I do believe we can use too many things.

Honored Contributor

I use vaseline plus an Aveeno product that has petrolatum in it on my face all the time.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie I had to laugh. Teenagers do amazing things to their hair. I think I decided to color mine and it turned out purple. Thank God my mother's hairdresser came to the rescue. She said she could make a living just on teenager's mistakes.

I also have fair, very sensitive skin. I don't have enough melanin to tan. I'm told this is rare. I also had oily skin till I was about sixty and I learned the hard way that using products to take away oil often irritated my skin and made it oilier.

She also told me to eat red meat on occasion. I've been anemic from time to time and she said that affects hair also. I have low cholesteral so that's not an issue.

Honored Contributor

I've rediscovered Vaseline.  I had an irritation in my nostril, on my septum.  My ent said to put a little Vaseline on it.  Then I ended up with a rough patch of skin.  I started applying a little Vaseline at night and it cleared up quickly.  I'm kind of afraid to put it on my face, but just last night I saw a Susan Yara video recommending it, just a thin layer, to seal in skincare.