Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think for most people using HA is fine. But for people like myself who live in a semi-arid and sometimes very arid climate, it doen't help with skin hydration. The HA pulls moisture out of the skin instead of adding it to the skin from the surrounding air. I just cant use HA products. 

I don't doubt for a second that HA doesn't work for you. You would know. Heart

I can say that some people in arid climates have found they can use humectants as long as they use a good occlusive over top. Totally agree that using a humectant alone in low humidity is pointless and even counterproductive. Addin a good occlusive moisture seal is key.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain I really like using glycerin in diluted form. It agrees with my skin so well and it keeps my skin hydrated for long periods. I make a glycerin/rosewater/green tea extract misting spray that works so nicely.

Esteemed Contributor

Dehydrated skin can be cause by medication,fluid intake, etc. I have always had a problem with this issue due to medication and health issues. The two products that have FINALLY worked for me are Josie Maran's Body Butter and Argon Oil and First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream. I use them both. My skin no longer looks like it belongs to an alligator. I can't tell you how happy I am that finally I don't see all that cracking and flaking skin. The combination of the two works better with my budget. The First Aid Beauty cream is an excellent hand cream. I apply that so often during the day. It really does make a difference.

Respected Contributor

@Fressa, Thanks for the hand cream rec.  I’m going to give First Aid Beauty Cream a try for my dry, dry winter hands. I have tried many products, but haven’t found THE ONE yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Both the regular cream and hand cream work for my hands. I saw a sneak peek of a 3 piece set on Beauty Day or Gift Day. That's usually when I order my supply. I hope this works as well for you as it does for me.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Staying hydrated is always a healthy thing to do. But it's really a myth that drinking more water will re-hydrate dry skin. When you drink a glass of water it goes into your gut where the water is absorbed into the bloodstream and is filtered by your kidneys. The kidneys make the water 'user-friendly' for the cells all over the body, including the skin cells.  If any of these steps along the way somehow get disrupted, for example from illness or disease, then dehydration can occur and that would be all over the body and not just the skin. The acid mantle layer of the skin is made to allow for some water loss in the form of perspiration. But when the mantle becomes damaged then water loss is increased and the cascade of inflammation ensues, resulting in dry, red and flaky skin. Damage to the acid mantle can occur when you use harsh cleansers, hot water, excessive exfoliation or due to aging thinning skin.

Yes to all of this. Well said, @SilleeMee!

If my skin is dry, drinking more water is less effective than a good humidifier and good skincare. Drinking water just sends me to the restroom more often. 

If my body is dehydrated, my skin is the last place I'm going to notice it. If I'm dehydrated from the inside, I'll get headaches; irritated nasal passages that lead to nosebleeds; cottonmouth; dry eyes; darker urine (ick!); and even stiff joints. If my skin is dry, it's pretty much limited to my skin, lips, and eyes.