Valued Contributor

Re: Decision time retinol vs Retin-A

@Icegoddess wrote:

@laurelei wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Tricolor, the thing is I don't have a dermatologist.  And I'm a bit reticent about making an appointment with one just to talk about something like that, especially knowing (from my earlier response) that one of the few dermatologists in town will just tell me to ditch the magnifying mirror.  

I started on Retin A (tretinoin) several months ago by subscribing to Curology.  It is online and you have to answer some questions about your skin and send in at least three photos of your skin without any skincare or makeup.  A medical provider (dermatologist, nurse practitioner or physician's assistant) goes over your info and photos and prescribes your treatment.  Mine contains tretinoin, azelaic acid and niacinamide.  Each person's formula contains three ingredients, depending on their skin's needs.  In addition to anti-aging skin care, they also treat acne. 

The nice thing about their service is that you can start with a very low concentration of tretinoin.  I was on .01% for a month and then went up to .02%.  I am currently on .035% and feel ready to go up to the next step which is .05%.  You can get either a one month or two month supply.  If you're not ready for a shipment, you can delay it. I have been very pleased with their service and really like that I've been able to gradually increase the strength of tretinoin without multiple visits to a dermatologist.  

@laurelei, I see it starts at $19.95/month which is reasonable.  Does the price go up after the trial period, and are you locked in for a period of time? I have been burned before on subscription services.  Just takes once for me to learn my lesson.

@Icegoddess No, the price does not go up.  You can cancel at any time without penalty.  I believe they still have a promotion where your first month is free.  You only pay shipping for the first month.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  - Curology dot com is an online dermatologist service here in the US where you can get the Retin A custom blended.  You get the first tube free and after that it's 25.00 for each tube. 

Check out the site.  This way you can try the Retin A without having to make an appointment with a local dermatologist.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal, Thanks.  @laurelei also mentioned this company above.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  - Oops...kinda skimmed over the thread and didn't see her post.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal, that's okay.  Good to see more than one rec for it.

Trusted Contributor

I also use Curology and am extremely happy with it. I started at lowest % of Retin A and have gradually increased with no problems. It's more economical to purchase a two months supply and it is very easy to delay or reschedule a shipment if you need to.
Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Tricolor, the thing is I don't have a dermatologist.  And I'm a bit reticent about making an appointment with one just to talk about something like that, especially knowing (from my earlier response) that one of the few dermatologists in town will just tell me to ditch the magnifying mirror.  

If you can find one that has an aesthetician on staff, that would be very helpful. My daughter works for a derm and they also have an aesthetician. They actually promote good skincare. My derm has always been willing to discuss what I use on my face. You could always go to your PCP and ask if a script for Retin A. I used to work for a PCP and would prescribe it for many of our patients. My insurance used to require a prior auth once I reached 60. I am no 69 and just found out that it is now covered. I only pay $7.00 for it. Wishing you the best.

Frequent Contributor

Hi IceGoddess,

I HIGHLY recommend Paula's Choice 1% retinol strength. It is AS effective as .25% Retin A. 

I have done a ton of research on the effectiveness of Retinol versus Retin A, and while Retin A is the preferred among many it isn't always tolerated. It really is a personal choice. 

And, even though PTR is 1.5% and the Paula's Choices is 1%, based on my research, the PC is more effective because of the color. The darker the color the higher the retinol amount. This isn't to say the PTR isn't effective or what is says that it is, however, I have extremely sensitive skin and I could easily tolerate the PTR from the get-go with no buffering and no irritation, and the PC I STILL have to buffer and only use 3 nights per week.  

Another higher strength retinol product I have found effective is Green Cream. It has 3 strengths. It was the most talked about product around her about 15 years ago. 

L2L