Honored Contributor

Re: Decision time retinol vs Retin-A

I use PTR retinal products with huge good results. I tried Retin A for some skin issues 25 years ago and my face swelled up like a ballon so was on anti-histamines  for a few days--never used it again. The dr I saw was a quack and went out of business a few years later--I would go see a derm dr for their advice and guidlines. 

Honored Contributor

Something a derm told me long ago about using Retin-A...that using Retin-A was the best bang for your buck. In other words, using a retinol is the expensive way of attaining the results from an antiaging treatment using retinoids. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Something a derm told me long ago about using Retin-A...that using Retin-A was the best bang for your buck. In other words, using a retinol is the expensive way of attaining the results from an antiaging treatment using retinoids. 

But if your face cannot tolerate it, it's worth nothing!  I'm not a fan of overly strong things for the face. It causes problems instead of solving them.  Like some of these vitamin C products out there today, they are so strong and irritating I can't handle them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The key to using Retin-A in the beginning is to apply it less frequently. Sometimes this might be only once a week for starters. Most people, even those with sensitive skin, will eventually adjust to using it as it was intended. But, as with any Rx drug, there is a percentage of people who simply cannot use it at all. In that case, Retin-A is not for you.

Trusted Contributor

I have been using Paula's Choice products since 1995.  They are cruelty-free, fragrance-free and guaranteed for 90 days.  My wrinkles have diminished significantly and I haven't had any redness or irritation.

If you sign up for her emails you will get a code for 15 or 20% plus free shipping.  She runs specials all the time.  Right now it's 15% off.

I use 1% Clinical Retinol Solution.  Combined with potent antioxidants, CLINICAL 1% Retinol Treatment is a specially formulated light lotion that absorbs quickly and goes to work immediately to enhance hydration and diminish the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and uneven skin tones. Licorice, oat extract and other soothing ingredients help to calm the skin.

Respected Contributor

If your skin can handle it, go for Retin A. I am not a PTR fan so that would be an easy choice for me. I have been using Retin A for over 20 years and have not had any adverse reactions. Some people can't use it though. Try it and see how it works for you. Maybe discuss it with your derm.

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor, the thing is I don't have a dermatologist.  And I'm a bit reticent about making an appointment with one just to talk about something like that, especially knowing (from my earlier response) that one of the few dermatologists in town will just tell me to ditch the magnifying mirror.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess I'm going to try the Mad Hippie Vitamin A serum. Just ordered from Amazon and it is due to arrive tomorrow. It has the latest form of low-irritation retinol in it: Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate (HPR). Whichever cool/kind lady mentioned it in this forum, I can't remember who it was, thank you!

I'm going to apply it after my peptides and antioxidants and before my higher molecular weight oil based moisturizing products. This is because the serum contains phytoceramides, which I don't want to block my other serums from penetrating. I'm not giving up the system I already know works just to add retinol. And if I don't like it, I'll only be out $26.

ETA: I do have two concerns about the serum. So if it burns at all or I feel more sensitive to sun I will quit.

1. It contains what looks like a smallish amount of Phenethyl Alcohol, occuring after the HPR in the ingredient list, which is the drying kind of ethanol and is used partly for fragrance. In small amounts and combined with buffering ingredients, I'm okay with this. But if it bothers me, I'll stop.
  2. It contains dang orange peel oil way near the bottom of the list. Steam Distilled Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Peel Oil. Probably for a natural scent. This is not the worst phototoxic citrus ingredient, but it ain't great. Just why? Definitely, do not want to get caught sitting by the window in the morning drinking coffee with this still on and no sunscreen.
When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Tricolor, the thing is I don't have a dermatologist.  And I'm a bit reticent about making an appointment with one just to talk about something like that, especially knowing (from my earlier response) that one of the few dermatologists in town will just tell me to ditch the magnifying mirror.  

I started on Retin A (tretinoin) several months ago by subscribing to Curology.  It is online and you have to answer some questions about your skin and send in at least three photos of your skin without any skincare or makeup.  A medical provider (dermatologist, nurse practitioner or physician's assistant) goes over your info and photos and prescribes your treatment.  Mine contains tretinoin, azelaic acid and niacinamide.  Each person's formula contains three ingredients, depending on their skin's needs.  In addition to anti-aging skin care, they also treat acne. 

The nice thing about their service is that you can start with a very low concentration of tretinoin.  I was on .01% for a month and then went up to .02%.  I am currently on .035% and feel ready to go up to the next step which is .05%.  You can get either a one month or two month supply.  If you're not ready for a shipment, you can delay it. I have been very pleased with their service and really like that I've been able to gradually increase the strength of tretinoin without multiple visits to a dermatologist.  

Honored Contributor

@laurelei wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I started on Retin A (tretinoin) several months ago by subscribing to Curology.  It is online and you have to answer some questions about your skin and send in at least three photos of your skin without any skincare or makeup.  A medical provider (dermatologist, nurse practitioner or physician's assistant) goes over your info and photos and prescribes your treatment.  Mine contains tretinoin, azelaic acid and niacinamide.  Each person's formula contains three ingredients, depending on their skin's needs.  In addition to anti-aging skin care, they also treat acne. 

The nice thing about their service is that you can start with a very low concentration of tretinoin.  I was on .01% for a month and then went up to .02%.  I am currently on .035% and feel ready to go up to the next step which is .05%.  You can get either a one month or two month supply.  If you're not ready for a shipment, you can delay it. I have been very pleased with their service and really like that I've been able to gradually increase the strength of tretinoin without multiple visits to a dermatologist.  

@laurelei, I see it starts at $19.95/month which is reasonable.  Does the price go up after the trial period, and are you locked in for a period of time? I have been burned before on subscription services.  Just takes once for me to learn my lesson.