Honored Contributor

Decision time retinol vs Retin-A

I have now almost finished two of the super-sized PTR Retinol Fusion bottles that were a TSV some time last year, so now I need to decide what to do next.  Should I:

1. wait for another PTR TSV

2. try a different Retinol product

3. try Retin-A

I do feel like i have better clarity with my skin after using the PTR product.  I really didn't have wrinkles before and still do not except a 1 between my eyes and some forehead wrinkles, one fairly deep.  I can tell that before too long I will probably start getting smoker/pucker lines.  I generally look younger than my 60 yrs, but I think I could use some help with texture.  I guess there's nothing that will help with gravity issues since I can tell I am starting to get jowels short of maybe laser treatments.

I read @SilleeMee's description on HOW to use Retin-A, but I was wondering whether it would really be helpful for my particular issues.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Decision time retinol vs Retin-A

[ Edited ]

It is really difficult to say what will be exactly right for you.  My sensitive skin had trouble with irritation and lots of peeling with Retin-A even after years on it.  Finally, I switched to PTR retinol PM serum and I found it gentle and that I didn't need to skip days to be able to tolerate it.  A derm on Doctor Radio says that Retin-A is best, but if you find yourself skipping days and days to tolerate Retin-A, then she said that a good retinol is a good move because it has nearly Rx strength plus vit c and often vit E all wrapped in easy-to-use/user friendly solutions.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  -  My vote is for Retin A.  As far as tolerating it, perhaps you could start off with the lowest strength possible.  I know @SilleeMee will chime in when she reads your post.  Good luck with whatever route you go and keep us posted.

Honored Contributor

the PTR . retinol did nothing for me.  I tossed it.  

Honored Contributor

What does your dermatologist advise? Seems like that would be the best person to check with, someone who is familiar with your skin type, needs, sensitivities (if any), etc. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's such a personal decision!  I know for me, I tried a Retin-A about 20 years ago.  My face peeled, burned, etc. -- and I also had rosacea at the time, so my complexion looked (and felt!) like a bomb hit it.  After a few weeks I decided that all the peeling and rash could not be good for my complexion in the long run, so I quit Retin-A and bought a drugstore Retinol.  My face calmed down in a few days.  

As far as results?  A poster on this board told me back then to not expect 'overnight results.'  Just be consistent with the Retinol and some day it will appear as if the clock stopped and I didn't age beyond the day I started the Retinol.  Kind of dramatic, right?  But that's what happened with me.  Everyone is different.  You'll get many opinions on this topic. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

I have had good luck with Serious Skincare line with Retinol.  My skin has never looked better

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess 

I think it's best to seek the advice of a derm because Retin-A is, in fact, a Rx drug and it may or may not be right for you. 

Here's some general info about tretinoin (Retin-A)...

...it's about 100 times more potent than retinol.

...it's the only scientifically proven topical product used to treat lines and wrinkles.

...it acts more like a hormone rather than a typical skin care active ingredient.

If you are going to try Retin-A outside the recommendation of a professional, then I would start with the lowest (0.025%) concentration and use it according to the instructions. 

Honored Contributor

Well, I guess I'll probably just stick with the retinol.  I'm really only looking to maintain. I wasn't overly concerned with being able to tolerate it.  I haven't had problems in the past with other products, and I understand you have to work your way into it. 

I'm also not particularly interested in shopping a dermatologist.  We were having a discussion last night at choir because someone is having some sort of topical chemo treatment on his face for skin cancers.  Someone asked who he was going to and he said XXX, she doesn't believe in wearing makeup and recommends only Ivory soap.  Another person said they went to her concerned about wrinkles and she told them to get rid of the magnifying mirror.  

So, I guess I'm looking for retinol recs.

Respected Contributor

Personally I would never take a chance with Retin-A. It would be too strong for me and I have friends that suffered greatly after their derm prescribed it.  If you are having good results with what you're using, why not stick with it?  I would not trade my PTR retinol fusion PM for anything.  Another option for you is to try his other retinol product.  It is 3% retinol, available at Sephora.  It's called Professional retinol 3% plus.  I tried it years ago and found it a bit challeging and got scared, so I returned it.  But it will not even approach the strength of Retin-A, so it's less risky and you can always return it  The reviews are quite good, 4.6/5 stars.