Valued Contributor

Re: Deciding on hair color or au natural?

Box color was so hard on my hair.  I went to henna/indigo from Henna Color Labs and really enjoy the more natural hair color without the chemicals.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21  I was about 55 when I decided to stop coloring my hair.  I love my salt and pepper hair.  The pepper is underneath the salt and I get compliments on my hair color all the time.  You have to embrace your gray hair or it won't work.  It is a decision you need to make.  It's funny, today young women are coloring their hair gray.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I stopped coloring my hair cold turkey when I was 64.  I cut my (then) shoulder length hair very short and one month later, I cut it again.  That was it, all my dyed hair was gone!  I now have nearly white longish hair that I wear down:  it is thick, glossy and I get frequent compliments.  I am in my seventies; not trying to fool anybody, just look my best!

Respected Contributor

It's a beautiful name, Skyegirl, for a beautiful girl, thank you for telling me about her.

Honored Contributor

I personally like the natural look and I too love my salt and pepper hair. I think if you wear a little makeup the gray does not wash you out and make you look older than you are. Of course, if you don't like the gray and think it does not enhance you, then you do what suits you. 

Honored Contributor

I told myself years ago that I'll never go gray!! Why would I want to look 20 years older? I'm vain and I like looking younger. Salt and pepper hair just makes you look pale and unhealthy. I love looking different all the time. I'm constantly changing up my cut, color and highlights. I just got back from getting the works at my salon, mixing it up a little, and I have a new spring in my step!!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I told myself years ago that I'll never go gray!! Why would I want to look 20 years older? I'm vain and I like looking younger. Salt and pepper hair just makes you look pale and unhealthy. I love looking different all the time. I'm constantly changing up my cut, color and highlights. I just got back from getting the works at my salon, mixing it up a little, and I have a new spring in my step!!

@ID2  Salt & pepper hair may make YOU look pale and unhealthy...but not everyone. I see quite a few S & P heads of hair that are lovely, and very flattering to their owners! 

Gray hair also does NOT make everyone look 20 years older! I am 64, and I certainly don't look like I'm 84. I don't mind looking 64, though...proud to be here at that age, many don't get that privilege!

Coloring or not is a very personal choice...and we are all free to make it, without judgement from others.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is so hard, I struggle. I have hair of a thirty year old and I am over 60. It is dark brown still, very little gray. I have blonde highlights. Very little gray, around the hair line. MY hair looks great, its my skin tone that is the problem. Blonde looks so much better, I dont like salons, all dark is OK, but I always miss my blonde. What would you do??? It is well past my shoulders. I only do baby lights on it and use OLEPLEX.

Honored Contributor

Oh, my...I haven’t seen my natural hair color since the age of 19 (I’m 52 now), and don’t plan to as long as I am alive & breathing. I do see my re-growth, which is now mostly gray. I would NEVER go natural now. I’d look like the walking dead with my skin tone.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

It just depends on your hair.  I think if I grew mine out it would have that dirty brown gray look.  Not salt and pepper or gray just that ugly mixture.   I also color mine to give it texture and body   In its natural state it is flat and straight.