Honored Contributor

Re: Deciding on hair color or au natural?

For me personally .... when I first started seeing gray in my brown hair,  had it professionally streaked to camouflage the gray.  Just thinking .. it was about 25 years ago ...

Eventually, I started to just lighten my hair completely.  I lightened the brown a couple of shades and it colored the gray so it wasn't noticeable.  Just looked like natural highlights.  I didn't mind the darker roots ... to me they were preferable to gray roots in dark hair.  

My hair is fine and wavy and now probably about 80% white with a few brown strands on top and quite a large section of brown in the back.

I'm still coloring it with the same Feria #91 ... just comes out looking lighter than it did years ago.  It's a light beige blonde.

The woman who cuts my hair does something in the back where it's still brown ... she cuts and feathers it and looks quite attractive.  But I'm anxious to go all white.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I have learned so much from all the posters here, thank you all sincerely! 💝

I’m deciding... have about 50% gray, on my very dark brown natural shade, and texture is difficult by nature, wavy, curly, very dry, wiry, coarse-  I have coped thus far with highlights to mask it. I love the lighter shades on me- so much less harsh against my face but lightening it does make texture even more difficult!  I would be coloring at home (not a fan of salons)... 

Since I like it lighter, I figure should just let the gray grow in?  Or try to go slightly lighter with at home color?  What would you do, my beauty friends? Thanks again -

@Skyegirl21   Do you have experience with hair color?  I ask because you are talking about lightening dark hair, am I correct?  If you are, the hair color has to be lifted to the lighter color.  This means it is going to go through all the colors (red, gold) until you get the desired lighter shade. Timing is everything! 

You should go to a professional at least for the first time.  They can check on the process easier than you could yourself, especially in the back of your head.  Once you get the desired color all over, you can deal with the root touch ups at home.  That is a lot more doable. 

I colored my hair for years.  I gave up the battle several years ago and would never go back to that hassle.  To each their own though.  That is what makes the world go round.  There is no wrong or right, only what makes you happy. 

I hope you end up with a look you love and can manage on your own, but please consider going to a salon for the first coloring.

All the best~

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I have very dark, almost black hair and I color it myself now because I'm not lightening it.  My own personal feeling is that when it comes to lightening, highlights etc; that's best done by hairdressers.  It's more so when you add graying hair into the mix.  

Honored Contributor

I'm leaving my natural grey /brown  color alone----after years of highlighting and then going bald due to chemo, and then finding that for 6-8 strips of highlighting, the cost is  for $110 ----I will live with what I have. Won't try to do my own color--the last time was a diaster.  Just want a good, decent cut that I love.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 , I think it depends on how the gray looks...my stylist knows that I do not like coloring my hair but she said my gray hair is not attractive, and I trust her.  I do not plan on coloring my hair when I am 75ish...

My sister in law has beautiful salt and pepper hair ~that I envy.

Respected Contributor

It's a very personal decision with many variables to consider, including your own skin tone and your particular shade of gray.  On me, gray hair looks horrible. Actually, worse than horrible. I can't see myself ever giving up coloring it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

The problem with just growing out colored hair is the grow-out phase which lasts quite a long time.  So, yes, we have options, but I wouldn't really consider that one of them.  I color my hair myself with professional color, just did it today, but I would never try to do my own highlights or lighten.  When doing touchups with lightening products you have to be careful not to overlap and not go all the way to the roots or you risk damage and even breaking off.  But, if you're considering going with your natural color I would suggest getting some color that will blend in so the grow-out is not so obvious and for that I think a stylist is the better choice.  

Respected Contributor

Skyegirl, I have "dishwater blonde" hair going grey, but it's texture is fine and straight.  Because I got tired of the whole "roots showing" thing, I stopped any coloring a couple of years ago, I even "Color Ooops'ed" the majority of my last home coloring job out of my hair, so the contrast would be lessened.  I chose to get a perm, so right now that's the only chemical treatment on my hair, but it does make my hair drier.  What I'm doing for my drier, curlier greying hair is that I use WEN cleansing conditioners.  I am keeping the grey from looking yellowed by using WEN Bella Spirit Indigo toning conditioner twice a week.  The WEN keeps my chemically curled hair moisturized and shiny, and the Indigo keeps my grey a pretty silver color. 

On a different topic, is your screen name and the photo you have an indication that you have a Skye Terrier?  If so, lucky you, they are fabulous dogs!  I fostered one for Rescue many years ago, she had been confiscated by a humane society and she and her sister were mostly black, so they were reported as Scotties, and I got the call to go get them.   Another Rescuer in adjoining state took her sister once she was healthy enough to adopt, but Heather, the one I kept, was still being treated for generalized demodectic mange and not adoptable yet.  I had her a year before we got her cleared up, and by then we knew she wasn't a Scottie, between head shape, ear set, and body length, so Skye Rescue evaluated her, confirmed her breed, and found a home for her a short while later.  She lived to be over 14, and I still get a holiday card from her owner every year.  I'll have a very soft place in my heart for Skye Terriers forever because of sweet Heather.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I have very dark, almost black hair and I color it myself now because I'm not lightening it.  My own personal feeling is that when it comes to lightening, highlights etc; that's best done by hairdressers.  It's more so when you add graying hair into the mix.  

I agree it's best to have the pros do it unless you really know what you're doing.

@chrystaltree   For some reason I always picture you as a blonde....funny how I can have a mental image of a poster even though it can be way off!

Respected Contributor

Super helpful thoughts, advice, and great sampling of different opinions! 

No idea how it will look on me ... but I’ll give it more time, and just wait... (Ill know if I get to the point where I don’t like it on me)- 

And great advice, that if I do decide to go lighter, use a salon, because it’s hard to get that right at home... thanks! 

Camille P, my dog’s name is Skye, she is a rescue, silky terrier, Chi. Love her deeply- 

Thanks all, ❣️Skye-