Respected Contributor

Deciding on hair color or au natural?

I have learned so much from all the posters here, thank you all sincerely! 💝

I’m deciding... have about 50% gray, on my very dark brown natural shade, and texture is difficult by nature, wavy, curly, very dry, wiry, coarse-  I have coped thus far with highlights to mask it. I love the lighter shades on me- so much less harsh against my face but lightening it does make texture even more difficult!  I would be coloring at home (not a fan of salons)... 

Since I like it lighter, I figure should just let the gray grow in?  Or try to go slightly lighter with at home color?  What would you do, my beauty friends? Thanks again -

Honored Contributor

Re: Deciding on hair color or au natural?

For me love my salt and pepper. However, everyone is different and expectations are as well. In my case told myself that if the grey wasn't attractive then would color my hair. That's the wonderful thing, we have choices. Now, If for any reason changed my mind decided coloring would have my hairstylist, talented and would want results seen on other clients. I wouldn't home color, not experienced and knowing me results would be awful. Good luck! Whatever you choose. 

Honored Contributor

It is a personal choice. I feel older with gray hair so it is not for me. 

Maybe you should give it a try and see how you like it. You can always color it.....which I will be doing for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Skyegirl21  If you have a wig store within a reasonable distance from you it might help to go try some on and see what you think about how going grey or lighter or whatever looks best with your skin tone. But don't just go in a private room w/a mirror (that's what one by me has) to try them and only look at yourself there. You have to step out with a mirror in hand to where you can see yourself in natural daylight as well.

Contributor

I also have dark brown hair that is fine, wavy and frizzes when it is humid. I stopped coloring 15 years ago. I am letting the grey just grow in-natural highlights! Getting regular trims helps-and as time goes by, my hair is definitely lightening up naturally.  I just want it to be natural. I do get products to deal with the frizz and texture and that helps alot with controlling my unruly tresses.   

Respected Contributor

You could try Schwarzkopf boxed hair dye and do it at home.

It is not as drying or damaging it seems.

The color lasts good. And, offer a full array of  shades.

I find highlights to be even more harsh to the hair, especially the lighter they are.

I have a few grays and they drive me crazy when they reappear. Hair dye to the rescue!

I find gray on any woman to be quite aging. I am always thinking to myself “why aren’t they coloring their hair?”. To each his own. Personal choice. Maybe they think I should let me grays show and just be done with it. 😂

If you go the color route,  first and foremost consider your skin coloring and undertone when choosing a color. This in itself makes a world of difference in how a color looks. The right hair color will compliment your skin and even bring a little natural blush to the cheeks.

And, this is also true for staying or going back to gray - some woman can pull it off and some can’t. It definitely goes back to the skin coloring and the undertone again.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

For me love my salt and pepper. However, everyone is different and expectations are as well. In my case told myself that if the grey wasn't attractive then would color my hair. That's the wonderful thing, we have choices. Now, If for any reason changed my mind decided coloring would have my hairstylist, talented and would want results seen on other clients. I wouldn't home color, not experienced and knowing me results would be awful. Good luck! Whatever you choose. 

I too love my salt and pepper hair and will not color. I saw a man Sunday with the most beautiful white hair. I think grey, silver, and white is just as beautiful as any other hair color.

Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21  Color or not is such a personal decision! I can tell you that I let my hair go gray a few years ago, and I love it...I don't miss the expense of the salon, or the time spent coloring it myself, or the dark brown color! 

My hair was very dark brown, and I did color it for years. When I noticed that most of my roots were gray, I decided to grow it out. Talked to my long-time stylist, and we decided to do heavy highlights to mask the growing out and chose a cool ash blonde color. No one was more shocked than I was at how good lighter-colored hair looked on me! It took about a year, and 3-4 highlighting sessions to grow out all the old brown color.

My hair is now probably 85% gray/silver, with enough brown still mixed in to make it interesting. It's shiny and much healthier (coloring was making it somewhat dry). I get compliments on it often.

Just for reference, I'm 64 now, and wear my wavy hair in a layered, chin-length bob.

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

You could try Schwarzkopf boxed hair dye and do it at home.

It is not as drying or damaging it seems.

The color lasts good. And, offer a full array of  shades.

I find highlights to be even more harsh to the hair, especially the lighter they are.

I have a few grays and they drive me crazy when they reappear. Hair dye to the rescue!

I find gray on any woman to be quite aging. I am always thinking to myself “why aren’t they coloring their hair?”. To each his own. Personal choice. Maybe they think I should let me grays show and just be done with it. 😂

If you go the color route,  first and foremost consider your skin coloring and undertone when choosing a color. This in itself makes a world of difference in how a color looks. The right hair color will compliment your skin and even bring a little natural blush to the cheeks.

And, this is also true for staying or going back to gray - some woman can pull it off and some can’t. It definitely goes back to the skin coloring and the undertone again.

I have to agree!  I think gray is aging on most particularly "salt & pepper "colored hair.  There are a few (very few!) women who look great in an edgy cut with silver hair.

I know from reading these boards that many are proud of their gray & salt & pepper hair.  Interesting to me since I don't think that women feel the same way for the most part about wrinkles.

Honored Contributor

I get nothing but complements  on my silver hair... strangers in stores walk up to me to tell me that my hair is beautiful or that they love my hair... it is a good feeling to get a complement anytime so I appreciate it!.  I am going on 64.  I am not trying to look 44. I do not feel older because my hair is white.