Honored Contributor

Re: Deciding on hair color or au natural?

I'm looking forward to the change.

I was born with dark blue eyes.  One day my college boyfriend commented on my green eyes and I was livid.  How could he not know my eye color?

Turned out, he was right.  For some reason, my eyes turned green when I was nineteen.

I've been waiting for my hair to change color, too.  At 59, I'm noticing more of the free highlights (the person who cuts my hair calls them "sparkles") and I have no intention of coloring because I'm just so curious about the inevitable transformation.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a natural medium blonde. When I was 35, my hair turned dark blonde and I started to get highlights. Today, at 53, my hair is coming in bronde (no gray due to genes). 

My 32 year old daughter says I should just leave it and go. with the natural bronde color. But my hair turned curly last year and my friends say keep it highlighted because it pops the curls. My hairdresser looked horrified that I would even consider going natural, but that could be her income would be reduced!

I have been doing an experiment. I haven't had highlights in over three months. I have and inche and a half of bronde growth. It is so startlingly dark now, but interestingly, it blends so well with my skintone. How about that my natural colored hair goes better with my skinetone? Could nature know something I refuse to accept?

Anyway, I have an appointment for a devacurl cut and highlight on May 24th. I have time to make a decision. 

With my new curls and bronde hair I am startled everytime I pass a mirror and see myself. I look so different. My very mature daughter says, "Mom, is that so bad?" Food for thought.

Esteemed Contributor

I never considered not coloring, but after a couple of bouts of chemo I am just so happy to have hair that I leave it alone and pamper it.  Nice to have something to brush no matter if the color is gone.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that all gray, silver or white hair is striking on just about anyone I've ever seen with it.  Salt & pepper OTOH, is iffy.  

Some people look great with it; others look dowdy and frumpy.  People who are always well-groomed and super stylish can get away with salt & pepper hair.  I'm neither, so I will probably choose frumpy (if I'm not there already) when I get more gray.

Trusted Contributor

I will be 83 in Sept., have curly dark brown hair that just started to get a little grey which is more like a silver color, a couple years ago.  Now it has silver growing in that is more like a frosting throughout.  Still have way more dark brown than silver.  I keep it short as I don't like to fuss with it so its wash, finger comb, and go. My problem is my eyebrows are black and are starting to look a little too dark for my hair.  Has anyone ever had to get their eyebrows lightened?

Honored Contributor

My best friend's mom had the most beautiful silver hair. I think you have to experiment and find what works for you.

Respected Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

I will be 83 in Sept., have curly dark brown hair that just started to get a little grey which is more like a silver color, a couple years ago.  Now it has silver growing in that is more like a frosting throughout.  Still have way more dark brown than silver.  I keep it short as I don't like to fuss with it so its wash, finger comb, and go. My problem is my eyebrows are black and are starting to look a little too dark for my hair.  Has anyone ever had to get their eyebrows lightened?

@arrabella  My eyebrows are very dark brown (almost black), and I actually like the contrast with my silver/gray hair! I don't know if you use brow makeup, but I found that NOT using it anymore helped lessen the contrast a bit, and gave me a softer look...but I still have good brows at 64--I realize a lot of ladies don't. I do have a few gray eyebrow hairs, but I can pluck most of those out for now. When it gets to be too many, I'll stop and see how it goes.

I also wear dark-framed glasses, adds to the contrast!

Trusted Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

@arrabella  My eyebrows are very dark brown (almost black), and I actually like the contrast with my silver/gray hair! I don't know if you use brow makeup, but I found that NOT using it anymore helped lessen the contrast a bit, and gave me a softer look...but I still have good brows at 64--I realize a lot of ladies don't. I do have a few gray eyebrow hairs, but I can pluck most of those out for now. When it gets to be too many, I'll stop and see how it goes.

I also wear dark-framed glasses, adds to the contrast!

I don't use any eyebrow products and do have good eyebrows too.  You might try Just for Men Mustache and Beard dye.  Just be careful and leave it only as long as recommened or it will be too dark.  I am using the Med Brown and if I'm nor careful, it turns black on me. Not at all near the color that is on the box.  but next time i buy it, I will get a lighter shade.  I wouldn't pluck out the grey ones as they may not grow back sometime in the future. Using a tint is much better for your eyebrows.

Esteemed Contributor

At 64 I have a little gray not much.  I keep it in check with semi permanent color once a month.  I'm not interested in permanent color as my hair is fine and delicate.  I color it because I am still working.  Not only that but I'm practically the oldest person in the place.  Most of my co-workers are in their 20's and 30's, all fresh and vibrant, very depressing lol.  I freely admit my age, they all know, so I am not trying to fool anyone, I don't it for them, I do it for ME.  I have to be able to stand to look at myself around all that youth lol.  Smiley Happy 

Regular Contributor

I am all about letting our natural hair color grow in. I see so many over processed hair styles out there. Our hair is begging us to stop the coloring.  I am 70 and my hair hasn't seen a colorist in 3 years and I love my salt and pepper color.