Frequent Contributor

Re: Days in between cleansing

Kat, I have experienced the same issue, with WEN. I find that when I use the core formulas I have to wash more often, but certain seasonals allow me to go longer without washing. The SHP, the FTP, and the FAS all allow me to go longer without washing and seem lighter, for me, at least. I haven't tried the WEN kids, yet, but I've seen some reviews that the kids formula is easier to rinse out so that might help.

Respected Contributor

I agree with all of the others. If your hair is oily you should cleanse everyday. Once you have been using Wen for a while you may need to cleanse less often but you may also have hair that requires you to cleanse daily.

Super Contributor

KatShops, when I first started using WEN I had extremely oily hair - I was washing it twice a day sometimes. With WEN, I continued to cleanse every day, but after using WEN for a few months and not stripping my scalp and hair with shampoo, my scalp gradually normalized and I was able to stretch out my cleansing to 2 days, then 3 days. WEN isn't like shampoo - it won't be hard on your hair to wash daily if you need to. It's different with everyone, but your scalp will start slowing down the oil production gradually.

And, as JeanLouise said, doing the scalp treatments with WEN oils, especially the tea tree, will help tremendously.

Regular Contributor

On 10/23/2014 okiebug said:

KatShops, when I first started using WEN I had extremely oily hair - I was washing it twice a day sometimes. With WEN, I continued to cleanse every day, but after using WEN for a few months and not stripping my scalp and hair with shampoo, my scalp gradually normalized and I was able to stretch out my cleansing to 2 days, then 3 days. WEN isn't like shampoo - it won't be hard on your hair to wash daily if you need to. It's different with everyone, but your scalp will start slowing down the oil production gradually.

And, as JeanLouise said, doing the scalp treatments with WEN oils, especially the tea tree, will help tremendously.

I definitely have been experiencing oily scalp on day 2 as well and using dry shampoo, but I hate the way the dry shampoo makes my ends feel even after applying the RTM! I'm tempted to try a Wen oil and see if that balances out my scalp without having to cleanse daily... My goal is to be able to go 3 days without cleansing. I think another thing that makes a difference is cleansing in the morning instead of the night before. I have to do it at night due to my schedule and instead of being oily on morning 2 I am getting oily just the night after cleansing. When I am able to shower in the morning day 2 isn't so bad for me...

Honored Contributor

If my hair looked like an oil spill, I'd go ahead and cleanse.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Occasional Contributor

OK thanks everyone. Sounds like the scalp treatments are the way to go. I always understood that your hair has to get used to having the natural oils build up & that's the way you ""train"" your hair to not need to be washed daily. I just never have had the guts to do it because I couldn't stand the look of the top of my head or that dirtyish feeling. I have been using the 613 for about 10 days & have cleansed 4 times. This is my very first time using the Wen. I just want to do it right & get my hair to that conditioned point already! I did it today & my hair feels awesome right now. I can run my fingers through it; its shiny. Ive been using keratin powder on day 3 and it absorbs a lot but I don't know if that's ruining the purpose of the Wen if that makes sense. Clearly I am an overthinker lol but I want to do this right the first time

Respected Contributor

Hi Kat! Glad your hair feels great today. A question: what do you mean when you say your hair has to get used to having oil 'build up'? I'm not sure that is quite right...

Occasional Contributor

Like when you shampoo, you are stripping your scalp of the oil it has produced so it has to work double time to produce more. When you stop stripping it (like wash less, condition instead of shampoo) it does not have to work as hard, and will even out like you said above. I have never had the guts to stop stripping it , give it a time out and let it do its thing. But yes, I have featherweight tangle-free hair right now - I want it to last!

Respected Contributor

Gotcha! Exactly right. But you should feel free to cleanse as often as you need to until you wake up and your hair isn't oily. Know what I mean? Don't suffer with oily hair if you don't want that. The cleansing conditioners are really good for your hair. You can't over do it (like you can with some shampoos).

Regular Contributor

I don't have issues with oily scalp, but during the winter I will cleanse every evening. I usually only do the double cleanse every third day. I have long hair, and I like to wash away the daily "cooties" during the cold and flu season. I figure I wouldn't wear the clothes I wore that day to bed, and I'm fairly certain my long hair traps just as much "stuff." I lather up the cleanser as normal, but I clip it up for the remainder of my shower on the first cleanse instead of the second cleanse. You might try just cleansing your scalp with one cleanse when it feels oily. Run a bit of the cleanser through the rest of your hair with your fingers or a comb if you don't want a full cleanse. Good luck.