Honored Contributor

Re: Davines Hair Care Products

@MyShadowLove  I bought so many products from this line; spoke with the rep at Barneys for about an hour and then purchased everything she suggested for long, dry, colored, thick with wavy to frizz hair. I also purchased the oils, masks.

The first wash with one product left my hair gummy and the conditioner left my hair in knots. Another product was ok and the conditioner was very nice but after a few washings, it was obvious that my color had faded and gone brassy. It was one disaster after another.

It took me awhile to learn about what my hair needed and didn't need; Davines uses a LOT of protein in their products and that's horrible for my hair. They also use sulfates and that strips color. So, the two combined makes for products I can not use.

The conditioners were simply not conditioning enough for me. That's an issue with many lines, however, not just Davines. : )

Respected Contributor

@MyShadowLove  I used to go to a Davines salon for many years, but I moved to another salon a couple of years ago.  I still use many Davines products, though.  I LOVE the Oi Shampoo and Conditioner.  (I have the Oi Absolute Beautifying Potion and Oi All in One Milk, too, but the scent is a little too strong for me, so I rarely use them.  Great products, though).  

I, also, love the This is an Invisible Serum styling product.  It really helps my hair avoid frizzies in humid weather.  I actually like to use it all year 'round.

And I don't normally use hair spray, but sometimes my hair stylist would use the This is an Invisible No Gas Spray on my hair, and it did not feel as if I had hairspray in my hair at all. It's a light "brushable" spray.

Davines usually has cute gift sets around the holidays, too. 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

THis line (and I tried many different products in the line) dried out my hair, cause my hair to get in knots, caused horrible frizzes and stripped the color out of my hair like nothing else.

The only line that came close to being this bad was/is Carol's Daughter.

@SahmIam  Although I do love many Davines products, I did have a "bad" experience with Love Curl Enhancing Shampoo and Conditioner.  Both products really made my hair dry, and feel horrible.  They may work well for others, though.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I do love the Oi Shampoo and Oi Conditioner (especially the conditioner).     

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I like celery thanks for the rec on the This is an invisible serum- that is one I have not tried yet. I will have to check it out at some point.

Regarding the scent of the beautifying oil, oddly I don't hardly smell a scent. It does have one but it is more like a green scent than a strong perfumed scent and my hair doesn't smell like much when I use it. Funny how we are all different with scents! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@I like celery wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

THis line (and I tried many different products in the line) dried out my hair, cause my hair to get in knots, caused horrible frizzes and stripped the color out of my hair like nothing else.

The only line that came close to being this bad was/is Carol's Daughter.

@SahmIam  Although I do love many Davines products, I did have a "bad" experience with Love Curl Enhancing Shampoo and Conditioner.  Both products really made my hair dry, and feel horrible.  They may work well for others, though.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I do love the Oi Shampoo and Oi Conditioner (especially the conditioner).     

Oh yes, there were a couple lines I tried several years ago that made my hair dry and crispy- HORRIBLE. That was due to the high protein and it was at a time I didn't realize my hair is very protein sensitive and needs more moisture and less protein.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@I like celery thanks for the rec on the This is an invisible serum- that is one I have not tried yet. I will have to check it out at some point.

Regarding the scent of the beautifying oil, oddly I don't hardly smell a scent. It does have one but it is more like a green scent than a strong perfumed scent and my hair doesn't smell like much when I use it. Funny how we are all different with scents! Smiley Happy

@HappyDaze  The Beautifying Potion has a very strong scent to me.  Smiley Happy  It's natural and not a "traditional perfumey" scent, but herbal (guess that would be accurate?)  The Oi Shampoo and Conditioner has the same scent, but it's lighter, and of course it doesn't linger as much as an oil, so it doesn't cause any scent "issues" for me.  I think all of the Oi products are great, though.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I like celery@DowntonAbbey@sandraskates@SahmIam@HappyDaze...

Thanks to each of you for sharing your personal experience, input and product suggestions for Davines...These forums are so very helpful and knowledgeable...We are all so very unique and our needs can vary so very much depending on our hair and skin types....Davines has quite a selection to choose from and, after reading your replies, it sounds like the Oi collection is quite popular.

I am going to give the salon a call tomorrow and, hopefully, they did note my visit, even though I was "just a wandering tourist"...lol...I think I will send out a quick email this morning also...I'm sure the stylist who did my hair will be able to inform me of what shampoo and conditioner he used for my hair type and can offer suggestions.

After I get in touch with the salon, I will check into the "starter kits" before getting anything full size.

We visit Maine a couple of times each year, so I will also definitely be going back to the salon...It isn't unusual for us to just decide at the spur of the moment to take a ride up for a wonderful long weekend getaway, as it is only approximately a two hour drive for us and we absolutely love the beautiful coastline of Maine...So, I'm even thinking of heading back up there after the Holidays for a relaxing Winter Wonderland weekend!

Thanks so much again everyone! Heart

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

@MyShadowLove   Did you ever order any of the Davines products?  If not, I wanted to let you know the Davines website currently has free shipping on all orders, but I think it's only valid through this weekend, so today may be the last day.  

They have some cute holiday gift sets with travel sized items, and one of the sets has all of the Oi products (shampoo, conditioner, milk, and oil) for $60, if you're interested.  The items are packaged in a little "pochette" (a zippered makeup-type bag).  The other holiday sets offer items from the Love, Minu, and Your Hair Assistant lines.  To find the holiday sets, look under the "Products" tab for "Holiday Gift Ideas."  If you look under the "Gift" tab, I don't think the holiday sets show, so look under the Products" tab.  You can, also, just enter "holiday gifts" in the search bar.  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze  Tagging you, too, in case you are interested in the free shipping promo (today may be the last day). 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, @I like celery! I like that bag! Did you get anything?