Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Davines Hair Care Products

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone,

I am curious if anyone here is familiar with the Davines line of hair care products...My husband and I were up in Maine (Ogunquit) for a long weekend getaway about a month ago and I ended up going to a salon to have my hair done...(I was feeling very brave, as I have not been happy with my stylist back home.)

Well, I ended up with the best stylist who gave me the best cut that I have had in a long time...My hair is short and it looked adorable.... It just fell into place so beautifully and also came out so soft and shiny...As I was raving to him about the great job that he did,  he mentioned the Davines line.

I didn't buy any while I was there, as I decided to wait until I got back home and wanted to do some research on this hair care line...It is from Italy and available online and also some salons, of which a couple are located not too far away from where I live.

I am heading out this afternoon and will check back in later this evening for any replies...I will be interested in seeing if anyone here is familiar with this line.

Thanks so much! 

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Davines Hair Care Products

I have used/tried their products on and off over the past 9 years. My colorist actually uses this brands color for my hair for my highlights since it is cruelty free. Their shampoos and conditioners are just okay to me but I know several people who love them. What I do love of theirs and always have a bottle on hand is the Oi Absolute Beautifyin potion.Very lightweight in the my hair and I really like the scent. Makes my hair super shiny and smooth (i.e. no frizz) without weighing it down or making it look greasy. Several of my friends like the Milk in the same line.

Trusted Contributor

Davine's  products get mentioned in magazines. A few years ago Target used to sell the line but that only lasted a short time. I wanted to try a curl product that was raved about but they didn't have it.

I'm glad you posted @MyShadowLove; I'm curious too. Is your hair curly?

Honored Contributor

THis line (and I tried many different products in the line) dried out my hair, cause my hair to get in knots, caused horrible frizzes and stripped the color out of my hair like nothing else.

The only line that came close to being this bad was/is Carol's Daughter.

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze...Davines certainly has a lot of products for all hair types to choose from...I'm thinking of calling the salon and hoping that the stylist may remember me and can tell me which shampoo and conditioner that he used...Since I was just a tourist and not a regular customer, I'm not sure if they would have me in their computer system...I do have a rather "bubbly" personality and was so excited at the wonderful job that he did on my hair that I gave him a big hug, so I may have stood out to him...LOL

I checked out the Oi products that you mentioned and they have very good reviews.

@sandraskates...No, my hair is not curly...I do have a natural wave to it though...If you go to Davines website, you will see all of their products and they do have one specifically for curly hair like yours...I wouldn't trust buying their products from Target or other stores, as I have heard that it is better to buy from salons or from the specific product website,  due to the fact that there is no guarantee that we will be getting the original, so I'm leary in that regard.

@SahmIam...Wow, I'm so sorry that your experience with this line was so damaging to your hair, especially since you tried several of their products...Do you have a history of being sensitive to other skin/hair products or was it just this line?...I'm curious if you experienced this right away or was it after several uses?

Thank you so much to all of you for taking the time to reply to my post...very much appreciated and helpful! Heart

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove lol, that is cute! I bet they would remember you if you called them quickly. Smiley Happy My hair is kind of straight but also has a natural wave to it. These days it is more wavy than straight, if that helps. I got alot of samples of the Davines products over the years in my birchbox, hence the reason I've tried so much. My hair is normal to dry and products tend to dry it out easily so that is probably why I didn't love the shampoos and conditioners- just not enough moisture for my liking. The Oi potion though is awesome for my hair though. Speaking of Davines, I got a Birchbox order today and one of the free samples they included in my order is MINU hair serum which I have not tried before so one more Davines thing to try! I believe the MINU line is geared more for color treated hair, which I have as I have color highlights (no bleach).

Anyway, Birchbox has several small try me kits of some of their lines and there are coupon codes out there too, if you are interested. Davines have several body oils and body butters I want to eventually try.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze...Thank you so much for referring me to Birchbox and their  try me kits...That would be a great way to give the Davines products a try...I have just been concentrating on their hair care products and didn't realize that they also have a skincare line...Great, I will now have to check those out also!...I see that you are quite the "enabler"!...LOL

By the way, my skin is combination...normal to oily...so whatever he used worked beautifully on my hair, as my scalp tends to get oily which, of course,  makes my hair oily...However, my hair actually stayed clean and shiny for a couple of days...I didn't want to wash it as I didn't want to break the spell...LOL  so I bought a shower cap to use.

Thanks so much again!...I'm off to Birchbox tomorrow!

Trusted Contributor

I have been using Davines for years now and I love their products..........Volume is one that I use and well what they have for color treated hair..........I have also fallen in love with R&CO that I get at Barneys New York.........I order on the telepone........So I use those two brands and love them.  My hair does not look like I have been coloring blonde since 1993.  You will make a good investment in your hair.  Glad you love your style and have found Davines.

Trusted Contributor

I have started using the Davines oil again, I am glad I have started back.

Trusted Contributor

I am not for sure if this caused your hair to knot up mine is knotting up also even with R&CO.  Maybe we have fine textured hair?