Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dating Products When Opened?

I put dates on food items i might not use too often.......that way i know how long it has been sitting and been opened....

Honored Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

I put dates on food items i might not use too often.......that way i know how long it has been sitting and been opened....

@kelsey17, we do that with spices because otherwise we would end up using some that are way too old.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I always date beauty products so I know when they need to be tossed out. I studied microbiology as part of my nursing education and one of the things they had us do was bring in our makeup and do cultures on it -- it was gross.Mascara was the worst! Eyeliner second worst. Much of it grew staph. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a roll of these sticky dot labels in my bathroom drawer along with a sharpie. Small enough to place on just about anything.Woman Happy

download.jpg

@SilleeMee

I use those dots, too!  Especially on small spice jars and tea containers.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

No because, for the most part, I go through things quick enough to not warrant having to keep track. I figure if I can't remember how long I have had something I must not use it enough and would just toss it. I rarely have anything I don't use on a regular basis though since I'm much more particular what I buy.

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze - I don't keep a "stash" either and go thru bottles and jars of products in a matter of 4-6 weeks.  Since most bottles aren't "see-thru", I like to have an idea of when it will be empty so I can buy a replacement.  Especially mascara, which I replace every 3 months without fail.  If the mascara tube is dated in November, I know I need to buy a replacement in February.

BTW, I'll add here that I never understand all the various discussions on this board about Vitamin C serum going bad and how to preserve it.  I open a bottle of Vit C, apply it every morning, and it's empty in 6 weeks or less and I buy a new one.  I never have a bottle of Vit C long enough to go bad, I guess.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt