Esteemed Contributor

Dating Products When Opened?

Does anyone else here do that?  When I open a new bottle/jar/tube of any skin care or makeup item, I write the date on the side with a Sharpie pen.  To me, it's useful to know  how long each product lasts and when to replace it. 

Just curious..........

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Re: Dating Products When Opened?

@tototwo wrote:

Does anyone else here do that?  When I open a new bottle/jar/tube of any skin care or makeup item, I write the date on the side with a Sharpie pen.  To me, it's useful to know  how long each product lasts and when to replace it. 

Just curious..........

I just started doing that a few months ago. I have way too much makeup and skin care products that I rarely finish them before they expire.  And I had to guess how old the items are when I am doing a purge.  So, I started putting dates on them when I purchase something new with a sharpie  to keep better track.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't wear make-up....but when i remove food from its original package I make sure I put the date on the container I put it in..I don't write on my L&L....but i do cut the date off the package and tape it to the container...

Good idea what you gals are doing with the make-up ....

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yes, I put opened-dates on my products. I do this with some of my food items as well. Like you said, it helps keep the inventory in check. 

My opened-dates are written like this:

2-04-17 /  3  

The last number designates the number of months the product is good to use after opening. But often times my product is way gone before that happens.

Valued Contributor

I wish I was in the habit of doing that.  I'm kind of paranoid about keeping open products too long and I tend to chuck things if I think I've had them too long.  I need to start keeping track of when I opened it... great idea with the sharpie.  Or I could even keep track in the notes feature of my smartphone. 

Honored Contributor

I first started putting dates on garden liquids I use. Then I started with certain food items either in fridge or pantry. I use a pen then a piece of Scotch tape over it so if hands are damp, the date doesn't smudge. 

Then I started with liquids and mascaras in bathroom. For that I write on masking tape the date and attach to the bottom of the liquid, near the UPC code or over it, and for tubes, on the side where the mascara, foundations or liquid eyeliner is (not on the wand). 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Sharpie is my friend.  I date everything!

(I even date the printer cartridge when I replace it.)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Yes, I mark skincare with the date that I opened it. I really wish that all containers were made in a way that you can easily use a permanent or laundry marker.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a roll of these sticky dot labels in my bathroom drawer along with a sharpie. Small enough to place on just about anything.Woman Happy

download.jpg

Frequent Contributor

What a great idea.   Thanks for the tip!