Honored Contributor

Dang - I broke my big toenail.

[ Edited ]

I shouldn't run around outside barefoot. I stubbed my toe on a rock and broke the nail about halfway down. Now for the rest of the summer I'm not gonna have a toenail there, probably longer.I've been taking aspirin for my back so it is really bleeding too. I have it all wrapped in a tight dressing & ice on it.

So much for sandals this summer.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dang - I broke my big toenail.

Oh sweetie, I am so sorry.   I hope the pain goes away soon.   Keep a close eye on it for infectin.  Toes are small but they sure can cause a lot of pain.   Treat yourself to a new pair of open toe shoes!   Thats the ticket!   Get well soon!   from SCHeart

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

I shouldn't run around outside barefoot. I stubbed my toe on a rock and broke the nail about halfway down. Now for the rest of the summer I'm not gonna have a toenail there, probably longer.I've been taking aspirin for my back so it is really bleeding too. I have it all wrapped in a tight dressing & ice on it.

So much for sandals this summer.

@151949  That must really smart. Thinking about it makes my toes hurt. DD is a runner & after a race the nail on her big toe fell off from rubbing on edge of sneaker. Being her mother’s daughter, had an acrylic nail put on at next pedicure so could continue to prance around in her 5” wedges...open toe, of course. In a few months her own nail grew out enough.

Honored Contributor

Yikes! That gives me the shivers just reading it. Do be very careful about possible infection.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Definitely @151949. DD in medical field and went to doc for antibiotic just in case.

Valued Contributor

@151949

That is a complete bummer (in a first-world sense, of course).  I had a large piece of marble fall and ruin mine. 

You can wear a fake toenail for a day or two each week, but remove it so as to avoid problems.  That way, you can still wear sandles once or twice a week Smiley Happy 

When it happens with a fingernail, I immediately put on a cheap press-on and it grows back.  

You can also see a podiatrist and ask how to get your nail to grow back normally.   

Respected Contributor

Just wear the sandals.  Nobody will care.  And if they do, so what?  I hope it stops bleeding and feels better soon.