Super Contributor

Daily Chat, Christmas Eve, 2014

Morning. Can't believe Christmas is here. The year has flown by. Doing a little food prep this a.m. and, of course, laundry. Going to get the boys out of bed here very soon. It's rainy and will be windy tomorrow. Going to see my dad's side of the family tonight, my folks' for breakfast & family, then will need to rest. Hope all are staying safe and enjoying the season with family and friends, or however you spend/share your time.

Merry Christmas. Prayers.

Valued Contributor

Re: Daily Chat, Christmas Eve, 2014

Merry Christmas to all!!! Not doing much here. This afternoon we are going to have pizza with a friend and exchange gifts. Tomorrow we are going to DH's aunt and will celebrate with her and two other cousins. DH's mom does everything with her boyfriend's family and doesn't bother with her own family at all. She graciously allows her son to interrupt her time for an hour on Christmas. sigh...it wasn't this way until the old fool got a boyfriend. Then Friday we go to DD's and exchange gifts with her and the GC. SIL always makes sure they spend Christmas Eve and Christmas day with his extended family so it works out that we can spend Christmas with DH's aunt. Her hubby and son passed away and the two cousins that come have no family either.

I still have to wrap presents and the night gowns and jammies I wanted to make in time to give to GD are still not done. DD expects that and we laugh about it

I finally got around to using the gift DH got me last year...a serger. I was terrified of it and didn't use it. I decided that was really silly and tried it our last night for a little bit. I have quite a learning curve but I think once I get used to it the machine will be my best sewing friend.

Love and good wishes to all.

Super Contributor

Merry Christmas eve. Warm sunny and very windy. Going to be cooler tomorrow.

Made our dessert this morning, cranberry cheese bars. Will do the rest of the cooking tomorrow. Since its just DH and me we don't need to worry about having dinner at a specific time. Whenever it's ready we'll eat.

Have a great day everyone however you spend it.

Prayers

Super Contributor

I'm not really a "regular" on here but thought I'd respond and say Merry Christmas to all. I thought it would be fun to share our plans/customs for the holiday.

I don't have much family and none in the area. My closest friends all leave town and/or have houses full of company so my grown son and I have quiet times and relaxation together. Our habit for several years has been to go out for an early dinner at a restaurant and then later in the evening we go to Christmas Eve services at a beautiful old church in Portland. If any of you read the Beverly Clearly books or read them to your children, it's the church mentioned in one of the books when Ramona was in a Christmas pageant. Christmas day will be spent relaxing, maybe doing a jigsaw puzzle or playing a board game. This year I'm not even cooking dinner - we decided to just have finger foods. I never did anything elaborate anyway. I usually cook dinner for both of us (I live with my son) during the week so I'll enjoy another day off from that and it's a good excuse to eat those appetizers and other fun stuff we normally avoid for health reasons.

That's it and it probably sounds very boring to those who spend the day surrounded by folks or driving from place to place. Years ago, when I was first divorced, I used to get depressed at thought of not having one of those celebrations depicted in the "Hallmark" commercials, but then I came to appreciate the calm and relaxed way we spend our holiday. Going to church helps to put everything in perspective and allow us to remember what the holiday actually stands for.

Wishing all of you a safe, peaceful, and loving holiday.

Super Contributor

Merry Christmas to all....the GC woke up to see that Santa had dropped by last night...my GD was so cute last night.....she said I have to go to bed early b/c Santa goes to all the GP house the night before Christmas......she smiled and big smile and went to bed....GS stressed over getting Skylanders Trap Team.....I made sure he opened that gift last....I know I'm crazy sometimes.....the GC are playing... DH is still sick. I woke up with a terrible sore throat. So instead of cooking we decided on pizza for dinner....today is the day the GC play all day then their Mom comes out around 6p and we have dinner....tommorow we go to BIL house for DH Christmas....Then it's over.... I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas....... Prayers for those in need and their families.....
Super Contributor

Thanks, VancouverUSAgal. That doesn't sound boring at all. I hope we all remember the true Reason for the Season. Merry Christmas!

Hi, V. Hope DH gets better quick and that you're not coming down with something! Take care.

Occasional Contributor

Hello, all, and a Very Merry Christmas to you! I'm one of those lurkers, mostly because my life is very calm now (i.e., boring), and I can't think you'd like to read about it. But I do enjoy reading about yours, and I feel I have some real friends here.

Thank you for making my year! We will have a delayed Christmas this year; my son and his new wife won't be here until next week. My daughter will be climbing the walls wanting her presents until they arrive. Christmas dinner will also be next week. My house is clean, but I still have her presents to wrap. Better get hopping'!

Again, Merry Christmas to you all...and, please, remember the reason for the season in your quieter moments this holiday. Love to you all.

Trusted Contributor

Merry CHRISTmas yall! we're making chex mix & listening to CHRISTmas music.

pray you all are doing well.