Honored Contributor

I've been dry brushing my body for years before my bath or shower. I find it relaxing and it's a regular part of my body skincare, which I rarely discuss here. It naturally exfoliates, increases blood flow to the body, but most importantly, like exfoliating the face, prepares the body to receive and absorb moisturizer.  

Does anyone else dry brush?

Regular Contributor

I do, I find it relaxing too! It helps me slow down mentally, and of course I like the feeling of doing something for myself. I believe it helps my skin - keeping it smoother.

Respected Contributor

I wash with one of those fluffy  nylon ballls which I suspect acts similar with its exfoliating properties. I use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap in peppermint or citrus for the aromatherapy and clean-clean feeling, they are relaxing to me.

Honored Contributor

Re: DRY BRUSHING

[ Edited ]

I have, but on more of occasional basis.  I prefer to use a Salux cloth in the shower for body exfoliating.

Esteemed Contributor

Every night (for years!) I use the Salux for dry brushing. Then an exfoliating puff in the shower. For all the benefits you cited, @Shanus !

I don't even need body moisturizers/butters, and my skin is smooth & supple.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  you are always so very generous and kind in sharing your expertise. Thank you.

I can't dry brush, my extremely sensitive skin ( neuropathy, fibromyalgia etc. ) hurts. Can't even wear

soft jeans or non natural fibers.

Honored Contributor

I use to dry brush before holding a brush became a problem. I'd like to have continued doing it but it's not possible. So now I just use a Salux cloth and occasionally I use fine-grain pumice powder which I sprinkle onto my bath sponge with shower gel on it. The pumice powder is amazing and it really polishes my skin so nicely. Perfect to use on my legs before my self-tanner goes on.

Honored Contributor

@IMW wrote:

@Shanus  you are always so very generous and kind in sharing your expertise. Thank you.

I can't dry brush, my extremely sensitive skin ( neuropathy, fibromyalgia etc. ) hurts. Can't even wear

soft jeans or non natural fibers.

@IMW  So sorry you experience such dificulties. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus, I have heard of this, but wonder if you could explain the why and how of doing this.  I am not be the brightest light, but I do have an inquiring mind.  LOL. Remember, think of writing “Dry Brushing 101.  Many thanks,

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@Shanus, I have heard of this, but wonder if you could explain the why and how of doing this.  I am not be the brightest light, but I do have an inquiring mind.  LOL. Remember, think of writing “Dry Brushing 101.  Many thanks,

@PamfromCT   Dry Brushing 101:  Good dry brushes are available in health food stores, from EarthTheraputics, at WholeFoods and many times at Target, TJ Maxx, etc. The brushes should not feel stiff. They come with long handles to reach your back or hand held brushes. I have both. I find the hand held easy to use for legs, arms, stomach and places easily reached. The bristles are not stiff, but rather a soft feel so not scratchy. I use the long handled one in the shower to get my back and "tushy" and back of legs. 

Dry brushing is done, as the name applies, when skin is dry. You work in a circular motion always beginning  away, but towards the heart for optimum improvement in blood flow.

Confused, yet? I do the brushing w/ hand held brush on my dry skin, top and bottom of feet, up the front of leg/thigh (remember towards the heart) before bathing or showering. The exfoliation is good, but gentle, for your skin. 

When you step out of bath/shower, slather on your usual body cream or moisturizer. I prefer CeraVe or Cetaphil (the rich ones in tubs) because I use a lot. 

When beginning a dry brush routine, start out with a few times a week...not before every shower. Do not brush over any sores, open scabs, red or irritaed areas and not after shaving. I avoid places like breasts, armpits or any other areas that are sensitive to you. 

The first few times, you'll notice a lot of powerdy, dry skin coming off. I do my brushing standing on my bathmat or towel so I shake it off in shower. 

I can't think of any other details. Please ask questions or you can google DRY BRUSHING and see what they say....