Honored Contributor

Re: DRUG STORE HAIR PRODUCT CHOICES

@Alison Wonderland   After I've found suitable ingredients, they must pass the fragrance test. If too strong and flowery, they compete w/ my perfume. I gave up Nick's products because of strong fragrances. Aveda's shampoos/conditioners have become much stronger. My opinion is that some women have stopped washing their hair as often and that fragrance freshens up the 3rd day hair. If I skip a day or two washing my hair, I use a dry shampoo. Since my hair is silver/white, the powery residue doesn't matter anymore. 

Honored Contributor

@Seashell girl wrote:

I have been using Aveda shampure for years.  Recently they changed the bottle and The wonderful Aveda scent is hardly noticeable.  It also doesn’t perform the same.  I just hate it when they change or discontinue products that we love.  I will be switching to another product as well! Looking for suggestions too!

@Seashell girl   Shampure was my favorite for many years. They messed around w/ the ingredients and the scent changed, as well. I have some left that I will use up, but realized I was paying triple the amount for what I could find at the drugstore. Also, w/ coupons and BOGOs, drugstore brands are really a bargain and my hair sees no difference. 

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme   I forgot to mention Shea Moisture products. I use their deep conditioner and bar soap, too. Many of these recommendations are available at ULTA and I accumulate points. 

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme I'm a Tresemme user, all they way! I did use Wen for awhile, had to give it up due to cost. I went right back to my Tresemme products. They have lots of different formulas of shampoo/conditioner. Their styling products work well for me, and I love their hairspray (there are several levels of "hold" available). I honestly don't know if they have a deep conditioner, I've never looked for one.

Honored Contributor

I remember Prell. And Pert. My fave was Salon Selectives Highlighting shampoo and conditioner. Smelled like apples. I kept waiting for it to hilight my hair, rinsing with cold water every wash like the bottle said, but it never did. Still smelled lovely.

I think anything sulfate/olefin free and silicone/dimethicone/cyclomethicone/etc free from the drugstore can work well. I use Aveeno sulfate free shampoo right now. It's fine, but I don't feel married to it. I wish it smelled like apples.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you ladies!  I'm definitely going back to drugstore products.  I do think it's a shame that Awapui and Aveda have changed - and not for the better.  I'll check out all the products you mentioned and, hopefully, one will work with my hair.

My old faves will always be Revlon Flex, both the shampoo and conditioner:  why they stopped making them, I'll never understand.  Do they still make the Alberto VO5 hot oil treatment?  Think I'm gonna try that too - hairdresser really messed up my hair which is why I no longer want to depend on salons and their products until absolutely necessary!

Thanx everyone for all your valualbe input!Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Thank you ladies!  I'm definitely going back to drugstore products.  I do think it's a shame that Awapui and Aveda have changed - and not for the better.  I'll check out all the products you mentioned and, hopefully, one will work with my hair.

My old faves will always be Revlon Flex, both the shampoo and conditioner:  why they stopped making them, I'll never understand.  Do they still make the Alberto VO5 hot oil treatment?  Think I'm gonna try that too - hairdresser really messed up my hair which is why I no longer want to depend on salons and their products until absolutely necessary!

@eddyandme Wow! Holy childhood memories bringing up the Revlon Flex. I remember both the Revlon Flex and Revlon Outrageous S & C scents being so strong they never went away. You could practically taste them. LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@eddyandme Wow! Holy childhood memories bringing up the Revlon Flex. I remember both the Revlon Flex and Revlon Outrageous S & C scents being so strong they never went away. You could practically taste them. LOL!

@AmericanBulldogMom 

I know, long time ago.....I LOVED the Flex smell!  I also love th smell of fresh paintWoman LOL!  (allergies come in handy at times Woman LOL)

Trusted Contributor

Oh I know the answer to this! I was never happy after Viidal Sassoon discontinued their original shampoo but I've finally found one.

Herbal Essence Bio Renew Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner

For a deep condtitioner I've been using a Garnier one but it's been discontinued so I'm on the lookout. But I do have to recommend old school VO5 hot oil treatments. I've been doing that once a week lately.

The last time I went to get my haircut it had been 9 weeks since the last visit and my stylist said my ends looked great.

Trusted Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@AmericanBulldogMom wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@AmericanBulldogMom 

I know, long time ago.....I LOVED the Flex smell!  I also love th smell of fresh paintWoman LOL!  (allergies come in handy at times Woman LOL)

I'm not kidding, within the last year or two one of my grocery stores had Flex shampoo. hey had a ton of it on an endcap on sale. I didn't know it was still around.