Honored Contributor

Re: DON'T TAKE INTERNALLY DON'T GET INTO EYES!

@fortune wrote:

Why is it that most handcreams and face creams come with warnings?!? Almost all say "don't take internally, if swallowed, call poison control center!  Also, "call doctor if it gets in eyes!"  If I am using hand cream, of course it is going to be transferred to the sandwich I'm eating!  It's also going to get in my eyes eventually!

What the heck is in our beauty products?!?

I'm trying to find creams and lotions that don't have any dire warnings.  Even Aveeno comes with these warnings!!

Any thoughts, Beauties?

@fortune

The other day I was in the drugstore trying to pick out a new face cream.  I was reading ingredients (of course the print is so tiny I had to get my cheaters out) because I cannot do fragrance.  Any way, as you posted, most of them said not to get near or in the eyes.  Well -- I would not intentionally put any lotion or crem IN my eyes, but I am putting a lotion of cream on my face and I do put it up close to my eyes.  Why would any company put ingredients in this type of product that they have to put a disclaimer that you cannot or should not get it near the eyes??  Goodness.  I mean, I often will forego eyecream and just use my face cream over the whole face, eye area included.  Doesn't make sense..... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess some people have to spell it out  in black and white otherwise they can't follow directions. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also, the plastic bags that things are wrapped in, SAY "DON'T ALLOW SMALL CHILDREN TO PLAY WITH THE BAG." Absolutely kills me, but maybe someone would think it was a good toy....

And the bag of flour says, do not eat uncooked.....cracks me up.

Honored Contributor

To protect themselves from the handful of dimwits out there who will swallow the hand lotion or rub the eye cream all over her eyeballs and then sue and collect millions of dollars because "the instructions didn't tell me what not to do".  

Trusted Contributor

@fortune  Not to mention all the dimwits who decide to eat tide pods , snort bath salts and aerosol cans. 

Trusted Contributor

The things that are best for you and your skin aren't traditional creams, lotions and potions.  Organic olis ( regardless of their origin- marula, argan, olive) are really best and do moisturize and provide relief for dry skin.  

Most won't cause irritiation to your eyes or cause gastric upset like the synthetic moisturizers.  

I'm pretty sure they probably have disclaimers as well - unfortunate but necessesary. 

Have you ever heard the  commercials about biologic medications and their potential side effects? 

I think they go into may cause......everything but the kitchen sink.....and they can be miraculous drugs for people who need help.  With the list of side effects I'd be frightened to take them!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@fortune wrote:

Why is it that most handcreams and face creams come with warnings?!? Almost all say "don't take internally, if swallowed, call poison control center!  Also, "call doctor if it gets in eyes!"  If I am using hand cream, of course it is going to be transferred to the sandwich I'm eating!  It's also going to get in my eyes eventually!

I'm trying to find creams and lotions that don't have any dire warnings.  Even Aveeno comes with these warnings!!

Any thoughts, Beauties?

@fortune

The other day I was in the drugstore trying to pick out a new face cream.  I was reading ingredients (of course the print is so tiny I had to get my cheaters out) because I cannot do fragrance.  Any way, as you posted, most of them said not to get near or in the eyes.  Well -- I would not intentionally put any lotion or crem IN my eyes, but I am putting a lotion of cream on my face and I do put it up close to my eyes.  Why would any company put ingredients in this type of product that they have to put a disclaimer that you cannot or should not get it near the eyes??  Goodness.  I mean, I often will forego eyecream and just use my face cream over the whole face, eye area included.  Doesn't make sense..... 

@AngelPuppy1  I’m pretty sure an eye cream doesn’t warn to keep away from eyes, just not put in eyes, but common sense prevails. Good face creams have other ingredients too emollient to use near eyes. They could cause swelling or redness. I put eye cream first & face cream up to that area where cream already applied. 

Honored Contributor

Purity Face Wipes (unless changed in the last 6 months) warns not to use near eyes. Well, isn’t Purity a makeup and eye makeup remover? So happy I caught that one before purchasing!

Esteemed Contributor

Gee, I'll have to remember that the next time I get the urge to eat my face cream.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

Any thoughts, Beauties?

To answer your OP, I think everything comes with warnings because someone at some point used that product in a manner not intended, and shockingly had adverse results; and in many cases probably sued and won.

O/T - Purity Facial Wipes state to “avoid direct contact with eyes”. I think we know what that means. Do not poke it on your cornea.