Honored Contributor

DON NOT AGREE WITH BUCKLE'S SHADE CHOICE ADVICE

On the midnight show,  Christopher Buckle is recommending matching the foundation to the chest and then bringing the stick foundation down from face onto neck so it all matches. No. I don't want makeup on my neck that gets on my clothes. 

Foundation should match your face at jaw line and then if chest has more sun or color,  I apply a light dusting of bronzer on my face where the sun would hit. 

********If SPF is used properly on face, neck and chest, they should all be the same color.

After several bouts w/ squamous cell growths on face, neck & chest that had to have biopsies, further surgery by derm & then scars corrected by plastic surgeon, I will always preach SPF at least 40 or higher rain or shine whether it's in makeup or not. Most women do not wear enough foundation to provide protection or apply it to neck/chest/ears. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: DON NOT AGREE WITH BUCKLE'S SHADE CHOICE ADVICE

@Shanus. So glad you are doing well now.    My mother had to have 2 such surgeries.  I was careful before her diagnosis and more so since.

Everyone needs to listen to your story and take care of themselves and their family using proper protection from the sun 12 months per year.  This also includes wearing sun glasses with proper protection.  See a good dermatologist to have an all over body check.  They will tell you what to watch for and how often you should get rechecked.  

Be extremely careful with the special care needs of very young children. I enjoy our cities street festivals, farmer's market, etc and I see so many babies on parents backs and in strollers who have bare skin.  Please cover their skin and use a good SPF (70 is available) at all times even when you are in the shade or a cloudy day.

Valued Contributor

I so agree.  I first watched him on BeautyIQ and he used a shade which was much too dark on the model.  In fact, I think the same model is on right now.  Looks like he has good products but I wouldn't let me chose a shade for me.

Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

@Shanus. So glad you are doing well now.    My mother had to have 2 such surgeries.  I was careful before her diagnosis and more so since.

Everyone needs to listen to your story and take care of themselves and their family using proper protection from the sun 12 months per year.  This also includes wearing sun glasses with proper protection.  See a good dermatologist to have an all over body check.  They will tell you what to watch for and how often you should get rechecked.  

Be extremely careful with the special care needs of very young children. I enjoy our cities street festivals, farmer's market, etc and I see so many babies on parents backs and in strollers who have bare skin.  Please cover their skin and use a good SPF (70 is available) at all times even when you are in the shade or a cloudy day.

Thanks @Gram W, doing well. I've had these "things" removed since I've been in my 20's...40 yrs. She said a result of the years before in the sun w/ baby oil and iodine w/ foil refectors!!...and such fair skin.  Also always wear a broad brim hat now at street fairs or walking dogs or on the playground w/ granddaughters. 

Honored Contributor

If I remember correctly, the last time he was presenting his foundation months ago, he said to match foundation to your neck because there is less surface to cover on your neck than your face. He said by doing this you will end up using less product overall because you will not have to apply foundation to your entire face to match the color of your neck and only apply it where it needs it. In other words if you were to apply an entire face of foundation first, you would then need to apply MORE foundation to your neck so that it all matched. I hope this makes sense...it's what I remember from his last visit.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I always match to my neck because my face darkens with serums (hormones, love it). If I made my neck match my face.... I would be walking around looking like a Oompa Loompa with pastey pale arms, chest and legs. 

Respected Contributor

Totally agree with you on all points. There is some very serious misinformation out there.

Glad you are ok now.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If I remember correctly, the last time he was presenting his foundation months ago, he said to match foundation to your neck because there is less surface to cover on your neck than your face. He said by doing this you will end up using less product overall because you will not have to apply foundation to your entire face to match the color of your neck and only apply it where it needs it. In other words if you were to apply an entire face of foundation first, you would then need to apply MORE foundation to your neck so that it all matched. I hope this makes sense...it's what I remember from his last visit.Woman Happy

There's no way, under any circumstances, I'd wear foundation all over my neck. My hair is short, so he'd recommend smearing it all over the back of my neck, too? If you have to bring your foundation down onto your neck to get it even, it's the wrong color. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me it's simple...just try to blend it all together so it looks somewhat harmonious. I don't put foundation on my neck either but I try to match the color of my foundation to my neck so that my face looks like it's part of the rest of me...lol!Woman Very Happy Otherwise it looks like you're wearing a mask.

You don't have to wear makeup on your neck, but Buckle says you should choose the color of it to match your neck.

download.jpg

Valued Contributor

Actually, I put foundation (powder or cream, depending on the day) on my neck and upper chest, as well as my face. I don't layer it on, but a light buffing helps blur the freckles and make my skin more even. Nothing has transferred to my clothing because I do a really light layer. A lot of beauty bloggers suggest doing this, even other brands that the Q promotes.