Respected Contributor

Re: DO YOU KNOW YOUR TRUE FACE SHAPE?

The drawing of one with the oblong face looks exactly like my neighbor, and she wears her hair exactly like pictured!  LOL

I'll have to measure my face.  Thought it was oval, but from the pictures, it might be round.  My hair is more the length of the illustration for round.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have no idea.  I don't have a measuring device handy to try, but I'm sure I would get that wrong anyways.  How would you accurately measure yourself?  Also, nobody has been able to tell me.  I once even tried the easier method of tracing your face shape on your mirror.  All that did was mess up my mirror.

Oh, and I'm sure whatever the shape is, a bob is the best cut for it since a bob is the last thing I want.

@Icegoddess  If you don’t mind sharing, why are you assuming bob is only choice? Because you can’t figure face shape or just choose that style?

Respected Contributor

I've always been told that I have an oval face, and that is what my measurements show. I don't take their beauty advice seriously. They advise to play up either your lips or eyes in my situation. What if you have hooded eyes or very thin lips. Do you just ignore one of them? I do what I like and what other people compliment. I just take beauty advice with a grain of salt.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

I've always been told that I have an oval face, and that is what my measurements show. I don't take their beauty advice seriously. They advise to play up either your lips or eyes in my situation. What if you have hooded eyes or very thin lips. Do you just ignore one of them? I do what I like and what other people compliment. I just take beauty advice with a grain of salt.

@Yardlie. The comments/suggestions are generalizations. Not all are correct for everyone.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have no idea.  I don't have a measuring device handy to try, but I'm sure I would get that wrong anyways.  How would you accurately measure yourself?  Also, nobody has been able to tell me.  I once even tried the easier method of tracing your face shape on your mirror.  All that did was mess up my mirror.

Oh, and I'm sure whatever the shape is, a bob is the best cut for it since a bob is the last thing I want.

@Icegoddess  If you don’t mind sharing, why are you assuming bob is only choice? Because you can’t figure face shape or just choose that style?

@Shanus, all my life I have looked at those what hairstyle is best for your HAIR TYPE things.  I have fine hair, and that is always the suggestion for that type of hair.  Stylists always suggest it too because of my hair type, but not my face shape as they can't tell me my face shape either.  It's very disheartening when the only style that is recommended for you is the same one your entire life.  I always wanted layered cuts.  

But, I have been able to disguise my true hair type pretty well.  There's a stylist that is in choir with me, so he sees my hair every week.  He worked in the same salon as my stylist.  She had to be out for a medical procedure, so she had him do my hair.  He started working on it and said "Wow, you've got baby fine hair."  Yeah, and I have spent my entire life disgusing that fact.  

At this point in my life, I have no patience for spending a lot of time in front of the mirror styling my hair.  So, I opted years ago to get a perm once a year and treat it like it's naturally curly.  So, I guess what I have might be considered a shoulder length bob, but it does have some layers cut into it for shaping purposes (so I don't end up with the dreaded triangle).  

Honored Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

An oval face is sorta considered the perfect face shape that can look good in almost any style.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was younger, I had an almond-shaped face.  Now I think it's more of an acorn or a walnut.  At least I don't have the dreaded peanut-shaped face.

Related image

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

This was fun!  For those who have trouble measuring and are using a tape measure, don't make it hug your skin.  Look in the mirror straight ahead, put the tape measure right in front of the facial area being measured (almost touching skin), and keep the tape measure straight...don't touch your face.  Mine came out to oval, which I've always thought, and it was kind of funny, as I have blond hair and just last week, got it cut like the figure representing oval.  lol  I do play up my eyes and use neutral colors on my lips, so I'm doing that part right, too.

Respected Contributor

I tried doing this but my numbers did not make sense. I have been told that I have an oval face so will just go with that. My stylist keeps me updated with my styles and doesn't let me get too stagnate with the same old. My hair is thick and I have a small features so wearing my hair short seems to work great for me. Interesting reading though.

Honored Contributor

My face shape is oblong and yes a bob looks good on me......I will try using a little darker powder and contour a bit, I do notice when I do contour, my face looks a little fuller which is nice!