Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU Exfoliate your Scalp?

kat--I like it!!! I went in for a haircut and the woman told me how dry and coated with gunk my hair was--she lathered me up with a clarifying shampoo and really massaged my scalp for a few minutes. When she cut, dried and styled my hair--it was an immediate , profoundly wonderful change. I bought the Nioxin brand of poo and conditioner and will toss out all the junky hair stuff I have been using--including WEN garbage. She told me a monthly hair pack would be good too and I love the idea of making it at home. Have you used the olive oil/br sugar mix before? Olive oil is wonderful for your skin too--can imagine it would be great for moisture on your scalp and hair.

Honored Contributor

I'm not understanding this. Is there a difference between exfoliating and clarifying?

And aren't you naturally "exfoliating" when you shampoo your hair? Seems to me that if you feel the need to exfoliate, you might try to figure out if any of your products cause build-up.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1- I just got a sample of Aveda's pramasana purifying scalp cleanser and the protective scalp concentrate.  I don't  know if they actually exfolliate, but are awesome products to make sure your scalp is healthy.  Great results for my hair too, clean, not stripped and manageable.  I'm impressed!

They also have a Scalp Benefits shampoo and conditioner that I want to try.

Which product are you using?

Thanks!

Oops, just reread through the post and you are using the Invati products - never mind then!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa,   I am going to purchase a scalp brush which will be a little less messy than the olive oil and brown sugar although the olive oil is good for the hair.  I will be going to Amazon or EBay now.  Happy Holidays!

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3,   clarifying removes product from the hair and exfoliating is stimulating the scalp for healthy growth,  brings up the oils, etc.  That is what I know.  Happy Holidays.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness,  On a whim, I purchased the Invati shampoo and conditioner (travel size) to try it out because Aveda has free shipping right now and a free gift with every purchase.  You know how that goes -- it's calling my name!  LOL  Happy Holidays.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  Thanks for the olive oil/sugar tip.  My hair is dry....I'm thinking that the exfoliate might be a good choice.  I'm also going to check on the Fuller brush that was mentioned for scalp massage.

Respected Contributor

I am starting to looking into scalp exfoliation as well.  I just bought the Nutri Ox shampoo for chemically treated hair and hope it doesnt dry out my hair.  I just bought the shampoo and am wondering if I should have bought the conditioner as well.  I have stopped using conditioner but this may be one I should get.  It just seems I lose more hair with conditioner, it is weird.

I do have a brush in the shower for massaging but dont always do it.  It is a detangling kind of brush, maybe I should get one that is specifically for scalp massage. I wonder if that makes a difference.  I have the one by vitagoods too but I dont like it at all.  That one is battery operated and it just is not flexible.  .... or something.

I have checked in the fuller brush and it is not available anywhere. I remember now, I checked into this brush once before a long time ago. I wonder if they stopped making it or I just dont have any luck. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee,  For some reason, this brush is very popular and out of stock at several places.  I am debating whether to wait or purchase the another brush that also vibrates.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@SilleeMee,  For some reason, this brush is very popular and out of stock at several places.  I am debating whether to wait or purchase the another brush that also vibrates.  

@Katcat1, I know and it might be discontinued. Even the Fuller website doesn't have it any more. It may be that the few remaining places selling it are on their last inventory. There are a few 'vintage'  Fuller brushes on ebay but they seem high-priced.