Respected Contributor

DO GLYCOLIC PRODUCTS FADE SPOTS??

I use PTR pads, and cleanser.  Does anyone know if glycolic products help fade spots, and if so...which are the least drying?  I have a few light tan spots I'd like to address before they worse.

I wear sunscreens all the time.  Thanks for any suggestions!!

Honored Contributor

Re: DO GLYCOLIC PRODUCTS FADE SPOTS??

[ Edited ]

Yes, GA products help lighten dark spots by slowly dissolving the outer layers of the skin and in time will reveal a clearer, more even toned complexion. But it won't make them disappear completely. GA works best if it is left on the skin to allow it to work, preferably over night. A 10% to 15% GA moisturizer/face cream used a couple of times a week to start then every other night won't be drying...your skin will tell you when it's too much.  Unlike salicylic acid, GA attracts moisture. GA peels are more concentrated and are removed after a very brief time rather than letting them sit and those work faster with fewer applications. 

GA will make your skin photosensitive so sunscreen is a must.

Honored Contributor

Not by themselves. You generally need to use a lightening product that targets tyrosine conversion in the stages of melanin production as well. Melanin production starts deeper in the skin than the top layer that gets exfoliated off by an acid.

"Most treatments for hyperpigmentation act on the first step of melanin synthesis – the conversion of tyrosine into DOPA and dopaquinone by an enzyme called tyrosinase. They can either:

(a) act as a mimic of tyrosine, essentially keeping tyrosinase too busy to produce as much melanin as before (hydroquinone, mequinol, azelaic acid, arbutin, licorice extract)
(b) block off the important copper ions in tyrosinase, preventing the enzyme from working (kojic acid)

Some other ways ingredients reverse or slow down hyperpigmentation are:

• slowing down the production of tyrosinase enzyme (N-acetylglucosamine)
  • undoing the reaction that tyrosinase does (ascorbic acid)
  • slowing down maturation of melanosomes (pigment producing organelles) (arbutin and derivatives)
  • preventing melanin pigment from travelling from the melanocytes where it’s made, to the keratinocyte skin cells (soy, niacinamide, retinoids)
  • dispersing pigment (licorice extract)
  • increasing skin turnover, meaning there are more skin cells being produced, and less pigment to go around (alpha and beta hydroxy acids, retinoids)

In general, side effects are less of a concern for the less effective ingredients; however, combining different whitening agents results in a more potent product without too much irritation."

Source: https://labmuffin.com/what-are-the-skin-lightening-alternatives-to-hydroquinone/

The article gives detail about some of these good ingredients for skin lightening too.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee ...do you reccomend any good products??

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain ...great article...thanks so much!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin 

Alpha Skin Care products from neotericcosmetics dot com. They carry an entire line of GA products. One very popular face cream is their 10% Renewal Cream. They also make a skin lightener product with 2% hydroquinone in a 10% GA base. These products are gentle and are a good place to start.

For more intense GA treatments, to be used after your skin adjusts, I recommend the Glycolix Elite 20% treatment pads.Apply, leave on for 5 or 10 min then rinse.  I use those a few times a week. My skin has adjusted so I can leave them on over night without irritation. I saw the best skin-brightening with the 20% pads.  Find an entire line of Glycolix Elite pads at Skinmedix dot com and search 'Glycolix Pads' to view the collection. Always free shipping there.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee...Thank you soooo much...I'm going to look right now and place an order!! APPRECIATE!
Trusted Contributor

Ambi Skin Fade cream at Wal-mart for about $4.00.  Contains 2% hydroquinone.  You can get 4 to 6% hydroquinone from your dermatologist.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee...I ordered the pads. I usually buy PTR pads..but since I'm seeing some slight spots appearing, I'm going to give these a try. Will use on my chest and hands too. I'll be sure to MOISTURIZE. I always apply high spf too.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   I've used alpha Hydrox products front Neotericcosmetics for years, I'm guessing about 25 years.  I've been very pleased with what it has done for my skin but it has done virtually nothing for brown sun spots.  They are just as prominent today as they were the day I started using the products.  I find It Cosmetics foundation covers them very nicely, so I don't suffer from major trauma.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment